Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the P car in the salt and snow...real advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

Also as a buyer of a replacement Porsche every year or sometimes more frequent, I ve witnessed undersides of many many east coast Porsche's in my hunting. Also some cars from Vancouver Canada and more recent a 997S I was interested in last year.
I've seen some ugly stuff and that 997S from Vancouver BC was real ugly.
Nothing compares to west coast cars. CA/AZ/OR/SEA (and usually TX cars unless they were subject to flooding ) cars are always nice and clean underneath with suspension/muffler/engine component hardware looking great and everything nice and clean.

I learned this a long time ago when I moved from NYC to Seattle. I couldn't believe how clean the undersides of the 1960's-1970's Porsche's were as well as the lack of rusting. .
So many rotted examples on east coast.

2 years ago there was a 2009 C4S in Maine I wanted to buy. Nice looking car and owned by Doctor. He garaged it but also drove it in winters. Undersides horrid and I passed. Sold on BAT for crazy money.

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
NoTurboRequired (02-21-2022), unclemat (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 04:16 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
I will build a garage with a heated wash bay so I can wash the cars more easily in winter.
Cue a gratuitous shot of @Dubber 's garage.
The following users liked this post:
Dubber (02-28-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 05:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

One of our rental house garages has an "oil pit" - Basically a 4'x8' hole in the cement floor.
You guys are welcome to use it, just need a heads up we have a few non-paying Eviction Moratorium tenants to shovel out.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-22-2022 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:03 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Holy hell, the amount of "I never buy cars from the North" that I see on these threads is funny. Right next to the folks with deviated stitching vents. Cool, go ahead guys - I'll keep buying the cheap cars that you pass on.

Life is too short to let a car sit for 6+ months. if a soccer mom in a $60k+ Tesla/SUV/what-have-you can drive through the winter, I'll do the same in my Porsche. It's a car built in Germany where it snows. And they still make winter tires for them.

OP, I too live in Chicago. When it snows, the roads are usually cleared within hours. After that, it's just dry dust on the roads for a week. Wash your car in a touchless car wash with underside every week and you'll be fine. In the spring, take off the wheels and wheel fenders and clean what you can. As for the few screws/fasteners that get rusty? Well, those can be replaced. My underside looks fairly clean after years of driving. This past winter was super mild anyway.

Obviously don't go out there when it's blizzarding six ways from Sunday - nothing will do well in that unless you're running chains/real winter tires (not that performance winter stuff). Clear day or weekend? The Porsche comes out.

Life is too short to sit here wishing that you could drive your car but couldn't. I could drop dead tomorrow but at least I'll know that I drove my Porsche the day prior and had my fun. I didn't get this car to keep pristine for the next guy. Could've done that with a supermodel instead. Heavens know that my you know what wouldn't satisfy her anyway.

Last edited by maschinetheist; 02-21-2022 at 08:05 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by maschinetheist:
danzap (02-28-2022), ekam (02-22-2022), frybear (02-21-2022), Rallybill (03-01-2022), TommyV44 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:25 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by maschinetheist
Holy hell, the amount of "I never buy cars from the North" that I see on these threads is funny. Right next to the folks with deviated stitching vents. Cool, go ahead guys - I'll keep buying the cheap cars that you pass on.

Life is too short to let a car sit for 6+ months. if a soccer mom in a $60k+ Tesla/SUV/what-have-you can drive through the winter, I'll do the same in my Porsche. It's a car built in Germany where it snows. And they still make winter tires for them.

OP, I too live in Chicago. When it snows, the roads are usually cleared within hours. After that, it's just dry dust on the roads for a week. Wash your car in a touchless car wash with underside every week and you'll be fine. In the spring, take off the wheels and wheel fenders and clean what you can. As for the few screws/fasteners that get rusty? Well, those can be replaced. My underside looks fairly clean after years of driving. This past winter was super mild anyway.

Obviously don't go out there when it's blizzarding six ways from Sunday - nothing will do well in that unless you're running chains/real winter tires (not that performance winter stuff). Clear day or weekend? The Porsche comes out.

Life is too short to sit here wishing that you could drive your car but couldn't. I could drop dead tomorrow but at least I'll know that I drove my Porsche the day prior and had my fun. I didn't get this car to keep pristine for the next guy. Could've done that with a supermodel instead. Heavens know that my you know what wouldn't satisfy her anyway.
You have a point, but I just can't get myself to destroying nice cars because all the idiots demand "clear roads within few hours".

/rant

If it were to me, salt would be banned, or maybe used sparingly on critical highways. All secondary road - just plowed. Get ****ing snow tires, studded if needed be, or ****ing stay home. We, humans, really need to ****ing slow down and adjust to weather. We can't salt away our way into the future. If we keep doing that, there won't be water left to drink.

/rant end
Rallybill (03-01-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by maschinetheist

Not all of us park them in the winter. Some of us actually live in better places of the country where it's a non-issue and we can drive them year round without worrying about salt.
groovzilla (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobasteve
I use an an attachment to my power washer that sprays up into the underside. Pictured here. I don't recall the price but it was from amazon and was not at all pricey - under $20 I think.
I have one and use it all the time m, better than nothing but with all the shields you’re pretty much just rinsing off plastic shields, if you want to keep it nice don’t drive it in the salt. If you don’t care, drive it. Road deicers destroy cars period, and they never sleep. They invade every nook and cranny, and corrode everything.

These cars dont have much outer panel rust, but all beneath corrodes to certain degrees. I have a winter driven 996, and it’s not a pretty site. The salt from the shoes soaked through the carpet and corroded the floor almost through. The power steering lines were a nightmare to remove, they were corroded and required an air chisel. As Petza said one look at the car you can tell.

As others in here I have other winter cars that are much more suited to inclement weather conditions, potholes, and road deicer. My wife’s cayenne Turbo was a clean California car for 70,000 miles, and 30,000 later it’s a crusty unit underneath. I have a heated 12,000 sq ft shop with wash bay and underbody wand and wash the car off frequently, but it never sleeps.

Its not going to rust in half, but it’s not going to be pretty and much harder to repair, regardless of what some say.

Last edited by cdk4219; 02-21-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I've been fortunate that my neighbors have a car wash they run out of their garage.
Not sure if they do undersides but will ask.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-22-2022 at 03:49 AM.
frybear (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:10 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
I have one and use it all the time m, better than nothing but with all the shields you’re pretty much just rinsing off plastic shields, if you want to keep it nice don’t drive it in the salt. If you don’t care, drive it. Road deicers destroy cars period, and they never sleep. They invade every nook and cranny, and corrode everything.

These cars dont have much outer panel rust, but all beneath corrodes to certain degrees. I have a winter driven 996, and it’s not a pretty site. The salt from the shoes soaked through the carpet and corroded the floor almost through. The power steering lines were a nightmare to remove, they were corroded and required an air chisel. As Petza said one look at the car you can tell.

As others in here I have other winter cars that are much more suited to inclement weather conditions, potholes, and road deicer. My wife’s cayenne Turbo was a clean California car for 70,000 miles, and 30,000 later it’s a crusty unit underneath. I have a heated 12,000 sq ft shop with wash bay and underbody wand and wash the car off frequently, but it never sleeps.

Its not going to rust in half, but it’s not going to be pretty and much harder to repair, regardless of what some say.
i hear that the heated garage are a problem because water + salt + heat = problems.

Mine is ice cold and no issues here after years of driving.

oh and clear your shoes off before you get in.
frybear (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:31 AM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

frybear, I have a hard top for sale in PCA classified and here on marketplace. Not that far from you, just drive here drop the top and we'll mount the top on your car, no need to ship it. No worries about salt on the soft top.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:39 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
frybear, I have a hard top for sale in PCA classified and here on marketplace. Not that far from you, just drive here drop the top and we'll mount the top on your car, no need to ship it. No worries about salt on the soft top.
I appreciate it but nowhere to store something that big!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:51 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
I had to give mine away...couldn't sell it and I had nowhere to store it.....more trouble than they're worth!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
...destroying...
Really? I think that is a bit over the top. As I noted, I have driven two porsche cars over 350k miles as my only driver in Philly with only heat shield issues. While Philly doesn't get a ton of snow, they use a lot of salt and brine.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-22-2022 at 11:54 AM.
TommyV44 (03-02-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:20 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 510 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Anecdotal evidence that cold starts and winter blend fuels are no bueno for bore scoring/piston slap
Do you think leaving your vehicle (that is designed to be driven instead of sitting for long periods) sitting for 6 months at a time will do it any good?

Fcar guys do that, but they do minor & major services by time period not by mileage.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Do you think leaving your vehicle (that is designed to be driven instead of sitting for long periods) sitting for 6 months at a time will do it any good?

Fcar guys do that, but they do minor & major services by time period not by mileage.
Sitting doesn't hurt it if it was tucked in properly when it's put to bed for the winter. Fresh oil, full tank of stabilized gas, battery tender and tires set to 50 psi. Give it a kiss, throw the car cover on... Five months later I unwrap it.

Quick Reply: Driving the P car in the salt and snow...real advice please...