Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 c2s overrev

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022 | 06:03 AM
RabidWeiner
1st Gear

Default 997 c2s overrev

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2007 c2s cab. The car has 25kmiles and is in basically tip top shape mechanically. The garage that did the ppi for me (not porsche) scanned for over revs and the results were 5436 range 1, 405 range 2, 49 range 3, 7 range 4, 4 range 5, 2 range 6.

Should I be concerned at all? I don't think it's possible to actually have these small values from 4-6. Would you guys buy the car?
Old 02-08-2022 | 08:20 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are 3 ignition pulses per engine revolution so it's not impossible to have these small values so the question is whether this was insufficient time to cause any serious damage. The Range 4 - 6 ocurred for less than a fraction of a second. If the overrevs occurred more than 50 hours ago, most shops get comfortable that no significant damage occurred. You can always have a compression test or oil analysis performed for peace of mind, which is what I would do.
The following users liked this post:
zygomatic (02-09-2022)
Old 02-08-2022 | 08:31 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Stick?
I'd have no problem buying this. Compression test will tell you nothing that the CEL is already telling you.
Old 02-08-2022 | 12:08 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RabidWeiner
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2007 c2s cab. The car has 25kmiles and is in basically tip top shape mechanically. The garage that did the ppi for me (not porsche) scanned for over revs and the results were 5436 range 1, 405 range 2, 49 range 3, 7 range 4, 4 range 5, 2 range 6.

Should I be concerned at all? I don't think it's possible to actually have these small values from 4-6. Would you guys buy the car?
S E A R C H

There are literally thousands of threads on this topic.

Also, you don’t have all of the info. You need to know when these happened.

However having said that, these are fine due to the low count over Range 3.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 02-08-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2022 | 03:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

All depends when the over revs in #4 5 & 6 took place. Not always good news when there are over revs in 5 & 6. --->I had a 997 years ago with 1 over rev in range 5 and 1 in range 6 but it was when there were only 20 hours on engine and it was considered a battery blip or computer blip so wasn;t a concern.
Car I PPI'd last year had 6 over revs in range 4 but they were only 2 hours old so it was a concern.
Get the info on what the engine hours were when the 4/5 & 6 over revs occurred. That is key info.

**Also what are the Cam Deviation numbers?? Important info. Too much Cam Deviation not good.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-08-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2022 | 04:25 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
All depends when the over revs in #4 5 & 6 took place. Not always good news when there are over revs in 5 & 6. --->I had a 997 years ago with 1 over rev in range 5 and 1 in range 6 but it was when there were only 20 hours on engine and it was considered a battery blip or computer blip so wasn;t a concern.
Car I PPI'd last year had 6 over revs in range 4 but they were only 2 hours old so it was a concern.
Get the info on what the engine hours were when the 4/5 & 6 over revs occurred. That is key info.

**Also what are the Cam Deviation numbers?? Important info. Too much Cam Deviation not good.
The 4,5 and 6 are less then 10, practically static in the numbers and not indicative of a real over-rev, right?
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:43 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla

Agree with groov. I PPI'd a car 3 yrs ago with overrevs into range 6 when the engine was very young, with many operating hours since then, so it didn't deter me. Had those overrevs been relatively recent I would have walked, as I wouldn't have had the peace of mind I was looking for.
Old 02-09-2022 | 04:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
There are 3 ignition pulses per engine revolution so it's not impossible to have these small values so the question is whether this was insufficient time to cause any serious damage. The Range 4 - 6 ocurred for less than a fraction of a second. If the overrevs occurred more than 50 hours ago, most shops get comfortable that no significant damage occurred. You can always have a compression test or oil analysis performed for peace of mind, which is what I would do.
There's another angle to this which is brought up now and then. My dealership service advisor always told me they won't CPO a car with anything with DME readings 3 or higher. Never mind 4-6 no matter how minor the time spent there. Many buyers see it as a blemish on the car no matter what. It also comes down to personal tolerance. Some want a car that's been driven gently. Others are fine with a car that's been driven hard but not abused.

So what's the impression of a car with 5,436 range 1 marks and some questionable 3-6 hits? Some will be fine with it. Others who want a gently driven car will walk and say....no thanks to a car with next to 5,500 range 1 marks and some higher on the record. Hard to make the case that this was a car that was driven "gently". Just my feel on this car...given a good PPI by a reputable indy or a dealer other than the one selling the car I wouldn't reject it but it also wouldn't stand out as exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-09-2022 | 06:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
The 4,5 and 6 are less then 10, practically static in the numbers and not indicative of a real over-rev, right?
Not if they all show the same hour stamp. Then that's a real overev that when all the way to range 6.

We need the hour stamps and the total hours counter to make any conclusions.
Old 02-09-2022 | 08:09 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
There's another angle to this which is brought up now and then. My dealership service advisor always told me they won't CPO a car with anything with DME readings 3 or higher. Never mind 4-6 no matter how minor the time spent there. Many buyers see it as a blemish on the car no matter what. It also comes down to personal tolerance. Some want a car that's been driven gently. Others are fine with a car that's been driven hard but not abused.
That's interesting about the Range 3 over revs, as one shift on the rev limiter will generate a small number of range 3.

Quick Reply: 997 c2s overrev