Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

that sounds pretty cool!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not necessarily. Depends on the use case for the car and the driver.

The rwd cars have much better steering feel, feel lighter and more alive, don't understeer through the turns as much, and it removes things that need to be serviced from the equation.

Unless driving in heavy rain frequently or snow, with the rear weight bias due to the engine over the driving wheels, the 997 really doesn't need the AWD and is more fun without it. Just my opinion of course.
Sums it up nicely. I've had both and prefer rwd for the exact reasons you stated. Not saying one is better than the other. Comes down to personal preference, where you live and how many months of the year you drive in snow and ice I guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
997.one (01-11-2022), Liste-Renn (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

In summary before thread got going round and round like many others:
OP's concern was expense of maintaining AWD ---->There really isn't any additional expense if car has good maintenance history and most likely more expensive removing it.
If u want RWD buy one.
I don't know many buyers looking for 997 with removed front differential so resale is also an additional expense if removed.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:15 PM
andino
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
In summary before thread got going round and round like many others:
OP's concern was expense of maintaining AWD ---->There really isn't any additional expense if car has good maintenance history and most likely more expensive removing it.
If u want RWD buy one.
I don't know many buyers looking for 997 with removed front differential so resale is also an additional expense if removed.

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where OP mentions any concern for the expense of maintaining AWD. The goal to me seems to be an affordable way to get a RWD widebody 997; something that you would need to go to a 7.1 GT3rs or a 7.2 GTS at minimum to achieve out of the box.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andino
Maybe I missed it but I don't see where OP mentions any concern for the expense of maintaining AWD. The goal to me seems to be an affordable way to get a RWD widebody 997; something that you would need to go to a 7.1 GT3rs or a 7.2 GTS at minimum to achieve out of the box.
I see there were edits to the original post.
OP was concerned with upkeep/maintenance/expense issues of AWD from what I remember viewing on original Post and considering removing the AWD system. And those concerns were addressed by several reply posts.
Perhaps I have dementia??

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-10-2022 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 AM
andino
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

OP was concerned with upkeep/maintenance/expense issues of AWD from what I remember viewing on original Post and considering removing the AWD system. And those concerns were addressed by several reply posts.
I don't recall any upkeep/maintenance in the original post. This one was about converting from the get go. Perhaps you're thinking of another thread?
Old 01-11-2022, 01:39 AM
997.one
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi 997
Hey skaper, tried to look you up on IG to see how far along you are on the project, but no luck. I was just curious if you investigated the price delta on just selling your C4 and buying a .1 C2 over modification? Perhaps you just want a project?

I get wanting to go RWD over AWD tho. During my 8 mo. search for my car, a buddy bought a perfect 997.2 C4S and flipped me the keys. It was beautiful, but driving dynamics felt a bit sluggish compared to RWD. I could really feel the weight in the front end. But of course, no shame in loving a C4. Solid cars too.
I have always been attracted to the slightly larger hips of the 4S. And honestly, something about doing the conversion sounds a bit taboo to many, and that makes it all more appealing.

Hey! This link should work for you!
https://www.instagram.com/997.one/

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
I just recently completed removal of the FWD drive components on my 997 C4. It’s easy to do and fully reversible. Remove front drive shaft, front differential and axles. Replace axles with Gt3 stub axles which fit into the C4/C4S wheel carrier. Some people also disassemble the front CV joint to reuse the stubs, but they are hard to reassemble if you want to reverse the mod. This is a fully mechanical system (on .1 cars) so does not affect PSM or ABS.

why? Well, C2/C2S widebodies are kinda unique, but it’s really about the driving experience. The steering feel is significantly better without the front drivetrain to mute and numb response and feedback. Steering is now lighter and more communicative. I was disappointed with the steering feel on my C4 but now it’s what I expected a 997 to be. For a fair weather street driven car, AWD is unnecessary, creates understeer, and doesn’t add much traction advantage with all the weight over the rear wheels. The only downside for cars without an LSD is that high speed corners with wheel lift may cause the outer wheel to spin. This is more of an issue for cars that are tracked. An LSD can be added.

as far as value, who cares? This can be fully reversed in about 3 hours with no long term impact to value. The car is much much more enjoyable this way!

just my 2 cents!
Yes! Glad to hear you're enjoying the car after the conversion! The LSD is something that could be considered. Have you thought of options for this?

And agree! Drive it and enjoy it! Also can be easily reversed if needed.

Lol, sorry man, you might need to get checked out. I made an edit to the main post to add the note in bold stating the car is a .1 and not a .2.

I know many purchase pcar's and have concern for resale but that's no way to live in my opinion. Enjoy em how you like em!

Last edited by 997.one; 01-11-2022 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by skaper
I have always been attracted to the slightly larger hips of the 4S. And honestly, something about doing the conversion sounds a bit taboo to many, and that makes it all more appealing.

I know many purchase pcar's and have concern for resale but that's no way to live in my opinion. Enjoy em how you like em!
HA! I'd seen that site but the Japanese characters threw me. Your car is beautiful as are the photos and, yes, the widebody hips are the best. It's cool how your lowered ride height accentuates that aspect of the car. I understand better after seeing the car why you'd want to modify it to your liking, your cosmetic choices are really on point. I think it would be very hard to give it up at this stage.

And +1 on the self-induced "fear of resale." Anything that keeps you off the road when you own a 911 is poison, imo

Last edited by Butzi 997; 01-11-2022 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
997.one (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:59 AM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

My Indy suggested Wavetrac or Quaife for an LSD. It’s been too cold/rainy/snowy here in western WA to drive the car hard but I haven’t yet felt an LSD would make a dramatic difference. Glad to see so much appreciation for this conversion! A beautiful (I think Cobalt) blue 4S RWD conversion sold on BAT about 2-3 months ago and the pearl clutching in the comments was hilarious. Whether modded and driven hard or bone stock and diaper wiped, everyone enjoys this hobby in their own way. That’s what makes it fun!
Old 01-11-2022, 01:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Yes! Glad to hear you're enjoying the car after the conversion! The LSD is something that could be considered. Have you thought of options for this?

And agree! Drive it and enjoy it! Also can be easily reversed if needed.

Lol, sorry man, you might need to get checked out. I made an edit to the main post to add the note in bold stating the car is a .1 and not a .2.

Getting full checkup at doctor today
Old 01-11-2022, 01:23 PM
997.one
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
My Indy suggested Wavetrac or Quaife for an LSD. It’s been too cold/rainy/snowy here in western WA to drive the car hard but I haven’t yet felt an LSD would make a dramatic difference. Glad to see so much appreciation for this conversion! A beautiful (I think Cobalt) blue 4S RWD conversion sold on BAT about 2-3 months ago and the pearl clutching in the comments was hilarious. Whether modded and driven hard or bone stock and diaper wiped, everyone enjoys this hobby in their own way. That’s what makes it fun!

LOL "pearl clutching"!

Looks like the LSD is the rabbit hole to pursue! Might be a good time to do a flywheel as well? I know the flywheel seems to be a touchy subject for some as well.

I went and checked out that Cobalt on BAT. I did recall that call but didn't read the description. I am shocked it still went for that price with all those miles and modifications. The PCCB and X51 were a plus for someone I am sure.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:45 PM
velvetmachine
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've heard you can disable the AWD system on a 997.2 (C4/C4S) by applying the E-brake "1 Click" on a PDK only. I have yet to try this...Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by velvetmachine; 01-11-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:20 PM
997.one
Instructor

Originally Posted by G_Machine
I've heard you can disable the AWD system on a 997.2 (C4/C4S) by applying the E-brake "1 Click" on a PDK only. I have yet to try this...Can anyone confirm?
I can't confirm but I can also echo that I have heard that as well.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

I can't confirm but I can also echo that I have heard that as well.
See posts 4, 5, and 6 for instance ...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ve-models.html

I've posted videos and other confirmations on this Forum but my phone search to find those threads isn't all that great.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 01-11-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:29 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Another Rennlist member, @halo777 did the AWD delete on his 997.1:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14202440

I believe the kit he used was this Phenix Engineering one:
https://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

Now I can't remember the thread, but I did recall reading that if you want, you could install the front struts set up from a C2 for 'proper' front suspension geometry (because the AWD front struts are castor'd a bit to allow the axles to pass to the upgright).

Hard to lose that much weight off the car without really drastic measures elsewhere. The diff and other gubbins must be close to 150-200lbs?
The following 2 users liked this post by Saaboteur:
RennKit-Dave (01-12-2022), white out (01-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Another AWD delete thread