Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping engine from US to UK for rebuild? Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 06:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Also have heard Porsche Dealerships having hard time getting engine rebuild parts received due to the current Cargo Container backlog at the ports.
They have added 2 months time to engine rebuilds due to this issue. Roger Jobs Porsche in Bellingham explained this during a PPI I had done couple months ago.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Also have heard Porsche Dealerships having hard time getting engine rebuild parts received due to the current Cargo Container backlog at the ports.
They have added 2 months time to engine rebuilds due to this issue.
Roger Jobs Porsche in Bellingham explained this during a PPI I had done couple months ago.
That's part of the problem. At the dealership in my hometown, two mechanics quit which obviously didn't help since they only had four mechanics to begin with. I know the service manager well and he said he has a stack of applications on his desk but they're from techs that are currently working on Kias, Hondas, Ford etc. His words: "I can't bring a Kia or a Toyota tech in here to work on Porsches". I guess his only choices are to either lure two Porsche techs to him from other dealerships or hire two non Porsche techs and send them to school.

My wife and I talked about all the people quitting work these days. The two Porsche techs is just one example. My dental appointment for a simple cleaning was cancelled the other day after one of their dental hygienists quit with short notice. Same story all over the place at least here in Florida. I see more "Help Wanted / Now Hiring" signs than traffic lights even on a short drive. Just wondering where all these people quitting go. To better paying jobs/positions is all I can think. But I don't get the two Porsche techs leaving after many years with the dealership.

I know all four techs at the dealership and I think I can say that the two that left didn't leave because of a poor working environment or substandard pay. Even if a Porsche dealership in a different city nearby paid a bit more, would it really be worth it? Selling your house, buying a new one, moving kids to a new school and it goes on. Strange times now that I can't get my arms around.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:18 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
They have added 2 months time to engine rebuilds due to this issue. Roger Jobs Porsche in Bellingham explained this during a PPI I had done couple months ago.
Jake had a solution to this before anyone knew there was going to be an issue. He managed to get parts that now no one else can. I was sold by FSI’s detailed process and approach. I yet to find anyone who has said they would not go the FSI route again if given the option. I am sure Hartech is great too, I haven’t heard any bad things from anyone who went that route either. I guess I am a bit surprised they are not more helpful with getting the engine shipped.

Last edited by bgoetz; 01-11-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:34 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

I’m surprised no one mentioned the price difference between Hartech and the stateside engine builders. Also, the shop in Canada will send your case halves to Hartech so if interested you might as well send them yourself.
when the time comes and I’m done assembling the other rebuild parts shipping to England will be the way.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:08 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe Alpine in Calgary does the HARTECH approved machining in house and does not send it to the UK. Talk to Mike Boulanger. Although I believe they too are swamped with rebuilds.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:12 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Default ..

Unless something has changed in the last couple months the case halves still get sent to England…

it would be nice to have someone stateside closed deck our engines and not charge 40-50k
Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Although not on the LN website, we have done several closed deck conversions over the years for Porsche and other engines (Polaris RZR, Subaru EJ25, and Mitsubishi B321 for example) using custom Nickies sleeves.

On the M96 engine, we haven't seen the need until we get to 103mm or if the engine is going to be built up as a turbo build with bore size over 99mm, but we try to discourage customers from going that route. If you want a turbo, best to just buy a 996 or 997 Turbo in my honest opinion.

We can also repair connecting rod damage to the parent metal using one of our repair sleeves, however it's not really worth the expense since core blocks are easy to find other than M97.21 blocks and M97.01 3.8 blocks, which coincidentally are the only ones we have carried this process out on.

The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

So the engine comes back from overseas and you have developed some problems, what's next?
Old 01-17-2022, 04:51 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
Although not on the LN website, we have done several closed deck conversions over the years for Porsche and other engines (Polaris RZR, Subaru EJ25, and Mitsubishi B321 for example) using custom Nickies sleeves.

On the M96 engine, we haven't seen the need until we get to 103mm or if the engine is going to be built up as a turbo build with bore size over 99mm, but we try to discourage customers from going that route. If you want a turbo, best to just buy a 996 or 997 Turbo in my honest opinion.

We can also repair connecting rod damage to the parent metal using one of our repair sleeves, however it's not really worth the expense since core blocks are easy to find other than M97.21 blocks and M97.01 3.8 blocks, which coincidentally are the only ones we have carried this process out on.

wow, this is great news. I never knew you guys had a closed deck option
Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
Unless something has changed in the last couple months the case halves still get sent to England…

it would be nice to have someone stateside closed deck our engines and not charge 40-50k
They have been doing them for quite a while. I just phoned to double check. They are the Hartech authorized North American center.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 07:38 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
They have been doing them for quite a while. I just phoned to double check. They are the Hartech authorized North American center.

cool Beams

Quick Reply: Shipping engine from US to UK for rebuild? Tips