Shipping engine from US to UK for rebuild? Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:07 PM
shaker71
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shipping engine from US to UK for rebuild? Tips

Hello,
I've been absent from the forum for 18 years while enjoying trouble-free Porsche driving. The cars have been so reliable it's been like driving for FREE. Now it's time to pay the piper.

I have a 2006 6-speed with the M96.05, and it's exhibiting low oil pressure at idle hot. There's a bearing clearance issue, and I plan to send the engine out for major refitting. I am near Seattle, WA, and am hoping that another Rennlister can provide a positive experience shipping their engine to the UK for the work. I am looking for shipping carrier information and import-export hurdles and tariffs and taxes due.

Any personal experience is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:40 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

OP - Have you looked at shipping to the shop in Alberta that’s a licensed Hartech facility? Can’t remember the name off the top of my grape.
The following 2 users liked this post by hatchetf15:
frederickcook87 (12-27-2022), The Mick (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
OP - Have you looked at shipping to the shop in Alberta that’s a licensed Hartech facility? Can’t remember the name off the top of my grape.
https://www.alpineautowerks.com
The following users liked this post:
voiceprint1 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:04 PM
shaker71
Instructor

I didn't know they had a place in AB, thank you for the tip!
Old 01-05-2022, 08:57 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Any reason you don't want to go with a US based builder, like F6I? If you're just wanting a stock build, there were last month, a couple available **i believe**

But I don't work there or have first hand knowledge.

Cw
Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by shaker71
Hello,
I've been absent from the forum for 18 years while enjoying trouble-free Porsche driving. The cars have been so reliable it's been like driving for FREE. Now it's time to pay the piper.

I have a 2006 6-speed with the M96.05, and it's exhibiting low oil pressure at idle hot. There's a bearing clearance issue, and I plan to send the engine out for major refitting. I am near Seattle, WA, and am hoping that another Rennlister can provide a positive experience shipping their engine to the UK for the work. I am looking for shipping carrier information and import-export hurdles and tariffs and taxes due.

Any personal experience is appreciated.
Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question about shipping cost overseas. Just curious why you feel it necessary to ship the engine to the UK for the rebuild. There are terrific shops here in the US that rebuild these engines to your specifications or as required depending on the damage. My impression - but do your own research - is that Flat Six Innovations has a reputation that seems to stand out. Here's their website: https://flat6innovations.com/ The owner, Jake Raby is contributing here on a regular basis with invaluable advice and guidance. No affiliation whatsoever. Just impressed with this shop's knowledge and reputation.

Would save you a lot of $ not having to ship an engine to the UK.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:15 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I believe that shaker71 does not want a standard overhaul, but rather wants to eliminate some of the system-immanent weaknesses of the engine in the process. This also includes a mechanical modification of the cooling ducts, in particular to provide more cooling for the critical cylinder 6. Other points are, of course, the IMS bearing, reinforced chain rails, thermostat, closed-deck conversion, NiSiC cylinder etc. I only know of two companies that do this in this depth, Hartech and Cartronic.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8x57IRS:
frederickcook87 (01-15-2022), shaker71 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
I believe that shaker71 does not want a standard overhaul, but rather wants to eliminate some of the system-immanent weaknesses of the engine in the process. This also includes a mechanical modification of the cooling ducts, in particular to provide more cooling for the critical cylinder 6. Other points are, of course, the IMS bearing, reinforced chain rails, thermostat, closed-deck conversion, NiSiC cylinder etc. I only know of two companies that do this in this depth, Hartech and Cartronic.
FSI does those same mods and upgrades including displacement increases, but they have a major waiting list. I believe their scheduling for 2023 build slots currently. Don't know if Hartech has a shorter timeframe but that may be why the OP wants to ship the motor.

OP, if looking for stock displacement, look up RND Engines. These ate stock displacement motors pre-build but with IMS and Nickies upgrades and I think on the shelf.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:43 PM
shaker71
Instructor

I'll be glad to answer the question directly.

I watched the RennVision video discussion between Jake Raby and Lee Jenkins in its entirety. I liked Hartech's approach with the extra cylinder support, cooling ports, and ribs on the cylinders. Since Flat6/LN Engineering and Hartech developed their ideas separately it was a disparate choice. I am sure all three are great companies and each operates on its own terms.
frederickcook87 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
Ok, sorry if I misunderstood the scope of what shaker71 wants done to his engine. I have to say though that I still don't understand why the engine has to be shipped overseas for whatever he wants done. As others have noted, there are several shops specializing in Porsche work in the US. All of them having stellar reputations and as I understand it they just don't do complete rebuilds but less involved repairs/mods as well.

Waiting list is long though as with everything else these days. My car is due for 10 year service whatever that is and the earliest the local dealership can get me in is a month and a half out.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I can strongly encourage you to do so, although i personally would have no real preference between LN and Hartech. In my case, I chose hartech/cartronic because I am in Europe and definitely did not want to have cast iron cylinders in my beloved porsche (or its heart) and their improvement concept/engineering is absolutely plausible and best you can find. They recommend 10W-60 in shorter intervals (depends on your driving characteristics) and a regular change of their IMS-Bearing when doing a clutch-change, should be typically around 50.000mls.
frederickcook87 (12-27-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I understand the desire to ship the engine out for a build. That's the route I'd be taking as well.
frederickcook87 (12-27-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:57 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
FSI does those same mods and upgrades including displacement increases, but they have a major waiting list. I believe their scheduling for 2023 build slots currently. Don't know if Hartech has a shorter timeframe but that may be why the OP wants to ship the motor.

OP, if looking for stock displacement, look up RND Engines. These ate stock displacement motors pre-build but with IMS and Nickies upgrades and I think on the shelf.
Just want to make a clarification. RND doesn't stock any rebuilt engines. We would rebuild your engine, but right now we aren't taking any more engine builds on with how slammed we are. We know not everyone wants to or can wait for an engine from Flat 6 Innovations or RND. That said there are plenty of shops around the country (including most of the IMS Solution Certified Installers) who we have provided our Nickies sleeving and other much needed upgrades so that shops can rebuild and upgrade these engines (including increasing the displacement since it doesn't cost any more to do so).
roadie13 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:26 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

A friend shipped to England to Hartech, took many months to go back and forth, about 4-6 months if I recall, since you go through customs ect both ways. That was before Covid, so I am not sure if that still applies.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:29 PM
shaker71
Instructor

Off-Topic
There is an inherent risk with clearing customs since government agencies have many subtle rules. Having a good brokerage company will make all the difference. Just before Covid (Sept 2019), I was in Italy and shipped my clothes home to allow me to walk my overseas purchases through customs within a carry-on. The Italian government refused to release my clothes on that trip because I used an Italian residential address as my ship from location. They demanded that I provide proof of Italian residency before releasing my shipment. It took me several calls and some explaining to convince them that I am a permanent US resident. Strange things do happen, and it's all part of the journey.

On Topic
I'm sending the engine to the UK because I listened very carefully during to RennVision discussion between Jake and Lee. I liked what Lee had to say and what they felt were important. That doesn't mean that I didn't like the things that Jake had to say. However, Hartech seemed like a better fit for me and what I find essential.

frederickcook87 (01-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Shipping engine from US to UK for rebuild? Tips