Sponsored by:

PPI at Porsche Dealer? =\

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PPI at Porsche Dealer? =\

Has anyone here ever commissioned a PPI by a Porsche Dealer? Obviously this is not my 1st choice, but every Indy I've called is literately booked for weeks. Even if it's only a code readout and a quick onceover, I'm thinking it still might be worth it....

It's in San Diego
Old 10-19-2021, 06:02 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

No, dealers will not do them anymore. I’m sure you’ve tried Black Forest and Vollig. Not sure who else there is - some previously recommended mechanics no longer have shops here.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Not true - Dealers will do PPI's. I just had PPI performed at Roger Jobs Porsche Dealer in Bellingham Wa. and had another PPI done in MAy 2021 at Porsche Burlingame in South SF Bay San Francisco.
They are a bit more expensive $320 PPI & $375 Bore Scope Inspection but worth every penny.
Generally speaking Dealer PPI's are usually excellent.
I have always preferred an excellent Indy shop but as you say many slammed for weeks

Call around to the local dealers and verify PPI and make sure they can do the Bore Scope Insp as well

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-19-2021 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kineticdg (10-25-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:41 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Not true - Dealers will do PPI's. I just had PPI performed at Roger Jobs Porsche Dealer in Bellingham Wa. and has another done at Porsche Burlingame in South SF Bay San Francisco.
Generally speaking Dealer PPI's are usually excellent.
Recently? I shopped nationally for my car and was met with sound rejections from every single dealer. One even told me it was a somewhat recent universal policy change.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:54 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
Recently? I shopped nationally for my car and was met with sound rejections from every single dealer. One even told me it was a somewhat recent universal policy change.
@groovzilla I also tried to have Prestige Porsche in Denver do a PPI on my new to me 2015 CD and they declined saying they don’t do them anymore. Prestige is one of 2 Porsche dealers in Denver and one of 4 in the state. I called my Indy and a couple of other indies as well and it was definitely difficult to get a time slot for a PPI. I did get one done, but it was not effortless.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

I had 3 dealer PPIs done for 2 997s and a Cayenne Turbo S.

Sewickley Porsche in PA did my 997 RUF car back in 2012
Had a dealer in MI do my other 997 in 2013
FL dealer did my Cayenne Turbo S in 2016

So, nothing recent, but dealer PPIs.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:24 AM
pydpyypr
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one done in August by a Porsche dealer on Long Island - they were still doing them at that time.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:40 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

It may not be a universal thing, but many dealers and even some Indys won’t do them for any price lately when I check. The exception seems to be if you limit the scope of the inspection and limit your reliance on the tech to a reasonable degree - perhaps even in writing.

Seems that the definition of a PPI (and the car buying process certainly) have changed a lot over the past 10-15 years. Before, a PPI meant a general lookover for obvious things like condition of wear items and deferred maintenance that may need to be addressed. That, together with talking to seller and reviewing the records available, would inform your decision as buyer: take it, reduce your offer to bake in the cost of making the car road-worthy, or walk. That simple.

Lately, “PPI” seems to have taken on a proper name and more of an expectation of a forensic study of the whole car inside and out. Oil analysis, borescopes, dme reports, evidence of paint work, etc.

For a number of techs I’ve spoken with, that’s a huge ask and an even larger potential detrimental reliance on their findings for very little money and time. They speak of times when a customer pays for a PPI, buys the car, then to some degree blames the tech when something breaks when there may have been no way to warn or predict. In other words, buyers are relying less on their own sleuthing and more on the tech’s findings with a leaning towards some implicit guarantees. In terms of a 997, you’re looking at a 10+ year old car at this point. Things fall apart.

The rise of internet distance buying, BaT and the like have really changed the game, obviously. They’ve also taken the arms-length nature of the transaction away for many, and like everything else these days, our attention spans and patience are next to zero thanks to the instant gratification machines in our pockets.

I don’t know how to unring that bell, but I still buy with the understanding that: there’s only so much I can expect from an inspection, I must satisfy myself that the diligence has been done, and there will be some issues to address.

It’s hard to go wrong with a 997 that has lived a good and normal life, but it can happen. Caveat emptor is alive and well.
The following 3 users liked this post by texass4:
JAB_997 (01-16-2022), Liste-Renn (10-20-2021), maschinetheist (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:43 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texass4
It may not be a universal thing, but many dealers and even some Indys won’t do them for any price lately when I check. The exception seems to be if you limit the scope of the inspection and limit your reliance on the tech to a reasonable degree - perhaps even in writing.

Seems that the definition of a PPI (and the car buying process certainly) have changed a lot over the past 10-15 years. Before, a PPI meant a general lookover for obvious things like condition of wear items and deferred maintenance that may need to be addressed. That, together with talking to seller and reviewing the records available, would inform your decision as buyer: take it, reduce your offer to bake in the cost of making the car road-worthy, or walk. That simple.

Lately, “PPI” seems to have taken on a proper name and more of an expectation of a forensic study of the whole car inside and out. Oil analysis, borescopes, dme reports, evidence of paint work, etc.

For a number of techs I’ve spoken with, that’s a huge ask and an even larger potential detrimental reliance on their findings for very little money and time. They speak of times when a customer pays for a PPI, buys the car, then to some degree blames the tech when something breaks when there may have been no way to warn or predict. In other words, buyers are relying less on their own sleuthing and more on the tech’s findings with a leaning towards some implicit guarantees. In terms of a 997, you’re looking at a 10+ year old car at this point. Things fall apart.

The rise of internet distance buying, BaT and the like have really changed the game, obviously. They’ve also taken the arms-length nature of the transaction away for many, and like everything else these days, our attention spans and patience are next to zero thanks to the instant gratification machines in our pockets.

I don’t know how to unring that bell, but I still buy with the understanding that: there’s only so much I can expect from an inspection, I must satisfy myself that the diligence has been done, and there will be some issues to address.

It’s hard to go wrong with a 997 that has lived a good and normal life, but it can happen. Caveat emptor is alive and well.
Yes, it’s absolutely for liability and reputational reasons. Dealers really don’t gain anything from doing them so that’s why many have stopped.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:51 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

They will do them but some may not officially call it a PPI. They called it an in depth multi point inspection and the seller gave them permission to contact me with the results.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:59 PM
jay abrams
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in SD. What Indies have you called? I may know of some others......
Jay
Old 10-20-2021, 01:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
I just had PPI performed at Roger Jobs Porsche Dealer last week and PPI at Porsche Burlingame Dealer in May 2021.
Personally I prefer excellent Indy shops to do my PPI's however Roger Jobs allowed me into the shop to look under car and was extremely thorough.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
@groovzilla I also tried to have Prestige Porsche in Denver do a PPI on my new to me 2015 CD and they declined saying they don’t do them anymore. Prestige is one of 2 Porsche dealers in Denver and one of 4 in the state. I called my Indy and a couple of other indies as well and it was definitely difficult to get a time slot for a PPI. I did get one done, but it was not effortless.
I understand many Porsche Dealers as well as Mercedes Dealers aren't doing PPI's. But there are also many that will do them.
Indy shops around here are booked ot for 5-6 weeks or longer.

Last edited by groovzilla; 10-20-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

None of the dealers near me in South Florida were willing to do a PPI when I was looking for one last year. They all said it was too much liability and politely declined. This includes a dealer where I've had a lot of warranty service work done on my Cayenne, and had a relationship with them.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:24 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I understand many Porsche Dealers as well as Mercedes Dealers aren't doing PPI's. But there are also many that will do them.
Indy shops around here are booked ot for 5-6 weeks or longer.

perhaps it’s more of a thing on the west coast where cars and car culture are more prevalent? Those of us stuck in the middle have less access to those services, not to mention the sheer volume of cars and car collectors. Some places where I live, taking my humble little silver 997 to the store can feel like driving an orange Lambo. It’s that exotic to many passers by. Not so much on the left coast and other areas.

Quick Reply: PPI at Porsche Dealer? =\