Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing my 997.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 11:05 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 177 Posts

This is close to the perfect car. I will probably have one in the future. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Congrats! Great looking car.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:13 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by SF911TT
Congrats and enjoy in good health! Must get Sharkwerks bypass and short shifter kit ASAP, those are my two favorite mods for that car.
Agree about the bypass.
With the Sharkwerks version, the exhaust note with PSE switched OFF is similar to the OEM setup with PSE set to ON.
With the PSE set ON, the note is deeper, louder and can actually be heard in the cabin with windows up and sunroof closed.
That is not so with the OEM PSE. A real shortcoming that can be fixed by a $1200 pipe and 2 hours labor to install.

As far as the SSK (short shift kit)?
I decided to leave well enough alone.
My standard shifter has zero play or looseness. While the throws are reportedly 15% longer, I never have to bring my right shoulder off the seat to shift into the odd gears.

Regardless of with/without SSK, the chances of a money shift are pretty remote.
Since the risk is always on a downshift:
3rd to 2nd is always safe as selecting 4th by mistake will lug, not over rev.
4th to 3rd is a straight shot with no dogleg- so it would be very,very hard to hit 1st. Almost impossible in my experience. And selecting 5th would lug, not over rev.
That leaves 5th to 4th, a dog leg, and mistakenly shifting into 2nd. With my transmission, final drive ratio ratio and wheel/tire circumference, redline in 4th is 126mph... I have never been in a situation requiring an urgent downshift from 5th to 4th.

On real roads I try to exploit the GTS's near linear torque maximum (317 ft-lb) from 4200 to 5600 and its X51 free rev-ing power all the way up to 408@7500. Accordingly, I drive mostly in 2nd gear and occasionally 3rd, usually to keep from bumping the rev limiter in 2nd and activating fuel topping. Bumping the rev limiter in 3rd occurs at about 100mph, so upshifts to 4th are rarely necessary in the mountain/canyon twisties I frequent. I am never in 5th on those roads.

Highway driving is a necessary evil to get to the mountains/canyons- and is the only time I use 5th and 6th.

My GTS OEM shifter feels smooth and precise, never balky, even when cold.

I also agree that the DSC PASM controller is another amazing and cost effective mod to the 997 GTS.
The ride is more supple than PASM comfort mode when you need it on rough roads, and more taught than PASM Sort mode when inducing lateral G's. It reacts exponentially faster than the OEM PASM box, and utilizes all 4 channels of control wiring rather than the OEM PASM box 2. It also pretty much eliminates squat under acceleration and provides excellent ant-dive characteristics under hard braking.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 10-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I would echo the praise for the DSC Sport Controller. It literally transformed the handling of my car.

After switching from the stock controller to the DSC Sport controller, there was a very significant improvement evident in normal mode where you could sense much more readily a true 4 wheel independence in the way the suspension was reacting to the road surface. More supple (as has been conveyed), and also much more sophistication in how it was responding.

Sport mode was a complete transformation from stock. Prior to the upgrade, Sport mode was just about unusable for me. After the upgrade - just fantastic.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:42 PM
mray2686
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Agree about the bypass.
With the Sharkwerks version, the exhaust note with PSE switched OFF is similar to the OEM setup with PSE set to ON.
With the PSE set ON, the note is deeper, louder and can actually be heard in the cabin with windows up and sunroof closed.
That is not so with the OEM PSE. A real shortcoming that can be fixed by a $1200 pipe and 2 hours labor to install.

As far as the SSK (short shift kit)?
I decided to leave well enough alone.
My standard shifter has zero play or looseness. While the throws are reportedly 15% longer, I never have to bring my right shoulder off the seat to shift into the odd gears.

Regardless of with/without SSK, the chances of a money shift are pretty remote.
Since the risk is always on a downshift:
3rd to 2nd is always safe as selecting 4th by mistake will lug, not over rev.
4th to 3rd is a straight shot with no dogleg- so it would be very,very hard to hit 1st. Almost impossible in my experience. And selecting 5th would lug, not over rev.
That leaves 5th to 4th, a dog leg, and mistakenly shifting into 2nd. With my transmission, final drive ratio ratio and wheel/tire circumference, redline in 4th is 126mph... I have never been in a situation requiring an urgent downshift from 5th to 4th.

On real roads I try to exploit the GTS's near linear torque maximum (317 ft-lb) from 4200 to 5600 and its X51 free rev-ing power all the way up to 408@7500. Accordingly, I drive mostly in 2nd gear and occasionally 3rd, usually to keep from bumping the rev limiter in 2nd and activating fuel topping. Bumping the rev limiter in 3rd occurs at about 100mph, so upshifts to 4th are rarely necessary in the mountain/canyon twisties I frequent. I am never in 5th on those roads.

Highway driving is a necessary evil to get to the mountains/canyons- and is the only time I use 5th and 6th.

My GTS OEM shifter feels smooth and precise, never balky, even when cold.

I also agree that the DSC PASM controller is another amazing and cost effective mod to the 997 GTS.
The ride is more supple than PASM comfort mode when you need it on rough roads, and more taught than PASM Sort mode when inducing lateral G's. It reacts exponentially faster than the OEM PASM box, and utilizes all 4 channels of control wiring rather than the OEM PASM box 2. It also pretty much eliminates both squat under acceleration and provides excellent ant-dive characteristics under hard braking.

This is great info. Thank you very much. I’ll look at that mod as well. I’m highway up to the mountains here and I can’t wait to drive this car up there. I had a 991.2 GT3 and it was a wonderful drive up there. Leaves are turning now, peak traffic time. I’ll try to sneak up there on day during the week soon.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Agree about the bypass. With the Sharkwerks version, the exhaust note with PSE switched OFF is similar to the OEM setup with PSE set to ON.
Spot on from another Sharkwerks dude. You can easily hear the difference when pushing the PSE ON button even with windows and sunroof closed. Reason for my comment is that a friend of mine (late model Corvette owner) told me just the other day how amazing he thought my car sounds. "Too bad you never get to hear it though" he said.

True. You'll have to give the car to somebody else and just stand there and listen. Windows down and sunroof open goes a long way but still comes up short. I say this since I told this buddy of mine to drive off in my car so I could hear it like he did.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:25 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

It is ironic that we spend $ on OEM PSE, Gundo hacks, center muffler delete, 200 cell cats, headers, etc., etc. to improve the exhaust note. And who enjoys it the most? Listeners outside the car.

Sure, we hear it from the driver's seat, but it's akin to listening to a great stereo from the next room, while total strangers sit between expensive speakers and enjoy the audio far more than you.

That said, boring through a tunnel at redline with the windows down is pretty rewarding, definitely worth the cost of the mod!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 10-17-2021 at 04:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sandwedge (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:08 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

Congratulations! I miss my 997.2 C2S. The GTS 997.2 will be one of the greats when we look back. Still small, intimate, classic looks.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 10-18-2021, 04:13 PM
krukdesigns
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gorgeous spec, congrats!
Old 10-18-2021, 04:24 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Man that car is sweet. Nice spec and congrats. That thing is a cream puff!
Old 10-19-2021, 11:14 AM
mray2686
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve been hearing that a Softronic tune is another great option to bring out the best in this platform. Does anyone have it?
I would imagine with the center muffler bypass and the DSC module, it would transform the already excellent ride into something even better!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:36 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Great looking GTS. Congrats, and welcome to the club!!

Quick Reply: Introducing my 997.2 GTS