Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 09:38 PM
RLP1984
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 997.2 C2 PDK in November 2020 after searching for almost 3 months and watching all the ones I had "saved" on various cars sites disappear within weeks.

In August of 2020 I was seeing PDK C2 Base models with 35-50k miles going from $38k to $48k and same mileage C2S's going from $50-60k. I got mine for ~$45K with 39k miles, 1" thick book of service papers, new brakes, new rotors, 4 new Mich PS4S's and a VERY cool seller who let me PPI the hell out of the car (including pull the oil).

That being said I specifically remember a Navy Metallic C2S with Sand Interior and a number of Fab Speed upgrades at Millenia Motors in FL for sale at $57k at the same time I bought mine and thought that the extra $12k was pushing it. Looking back I wish I would have just pulled that trigger....Now bases are going for $50k+ and S's pushing into $70k

Point being, if you know you really want something specific (IE Manual Coupe) then its highly likely you'll still want it 6 months, 1yr, 2yrs from now. I can tell you there are more and more people getting into 997.2's ESP the Manual ones and as @Wayne Smith noted I also believe the start of Covid marked the bottom of the 997.2 depreciation curve. If you can find the car you want I would 100% pull that trigger and sell your Cab.

P.S.
For me personally I do have 2 hindsight "wishes" (not regrets!)

1. I could have just spent that extra 10k and a gotten an S
-I've put about 4k in upgrades into the car already (sport mode upgrade, sport steering wheel, S quad tips) that all would have more than likely come on the S anyway.
2. Color
-mine is Arctic Silver which I'm FOND of....but every time I see that Metallic Navy or Macadamia, and ESP Forest Green Metallic.....I ache....
Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RLP1984
I bought my 997.2 C2 PDK in November 2020 after searching for almost 3 months and watching all the ones I had "saved" on various cars sites disappear within weeks.

In August of 2020 I was seeing PDK C2 Base models with 35-50k miles going from $38k to $48k and same mileage C2S's going from $50-60k. I got mine for ~$45K with 39k miles, 1" thick book of service papers, new brakes, new rotors, 4 new Mich PS4S's and a VERY cool seller who let me PPI the hell out of the car (including pull the oil).

That being said I specifically remember a Navy Metallic C2S with Sand Interior and a number of Fab Speed upgrades at Millenia Motors in FL for sale at $57k at the same time I bought mine and thought that the extra $12k was pushing it. Looking back I wish I would have just pulled that trigger....Now bases are going for $50k+ and S's pushing into $70k

Point being, if you know you really want something specific (IE Manual Coupe) then its highly likely you'll still want it 6 months, 1yr, 2yrs from now. I can tell you there are more and more people getting into 997.2's ESP the Manual ones and as @Wayne Smith noted I also believe the start of Covid marked the bottom of the 997.2 depreciation curve. If you can find the car you want I would 100% pull that trigger and sell your Cab.

P.S.

-I've put about 4k in upgrades into the car already (sport mode upgrade, sport steering wheel, S quad tips) that all would have more than likely come on the S anyway.
2. Color
-mine is Arctic Silver which I'm FOND of....but every time I see that Metallic Navy or Macadamia, and ESP Forest Green Metallic.....I ache....
Helpful perspective—very similar to how I feel except I maybe have more regret I’m not getting closer to what I wanted. Don’t get me wrong. I love it just wish I had held out. I’m feeling better about making the move.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Better to have a "dilemma" than a bitter predicament.

It's great that you bought in on a 997 when you did. Had you instead just remained on the sidelines waiting for prices to drop, you'd certainly be in a position filled with bitter regret.

Enjoy what you have. Something good will present itself at the right time.

The following 5 users liked this post by Ironman88:
8KaboveMSL (10-17-2021), ATX_Native (10-12-2021), jonny99 (10-11-2021), Robocop305 (10-12-2021), TommyV44 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 11:42 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

P.S.

2. Color
I believe one of the worst things to settle for is the color! You see that every hour of every day! If you don't love it...it gets old fast...at least for me!

Tom

Tom
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 02:18 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

My buddy has a 2008 turbo 6-speed and recently told me he’s looking for a 997.2 with PDK because it’s “more fun to drive.”
Old 10-12-2021, 03:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
I prefer a 997 to a 991, and the 997.2s were built in lower quantities than the 991s. I expect 997.2s to surpass the price of early 991s.
Agree. Seems like 997's are getting sparse to say the least and even 991's and 992's are slim pickings. Dropped off my GTS for service at the dealership Monday afternoon and I've never seen the pre-owned section of their outside parking lot as empty. A year or a year and a half ago I'd say they had at least a dozen 911's of various vintages and specs on that lot. Yesterday there was ONE 997 and it had a sticker taped to the inside of the windshield stating that it was sold. There was a scattering of Macans and Cayenne's on the lot but also a lot of empty spaces.

I've dealt with this Porsche dealership since 2007 but have never seen the pre-owned lot even remotely as close to almost abandoned as this. They just don't have used cars to sell. Or new ones for that matter. Not sure if this is local or nationwide. Going on what I'm reading here and elsewhere I suspect the latter. So probably not the ideal time to buy either new or used imo. Based on the tried and proven supply and demand formula. Then again, what will make the price of these cars to depreciate from here on short of a deep recession or depression?
Old 10-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Get the manual you really want. For manual guys, driving a manual 997 is such a pleasure. I have 6 Porsches and the 5 sports cars are all manuals - no interest in a 2 pedal sports car no matter how good the transmissions are or how good they get. If I was a track junkie and trying to shave seconds or tenths, then maybe, but I'm not and really enjoy the involvement of both arms and legs when driving, shifting, rev matching, etc. I don't often deal with traffic so that's not a consideration for me either.

With a keen eye and ready to pounce funding, you should be able to find a manual for just a little more than you can sell your PDK for, but if you need the funds from the PDK car to buy the manual, you'll have to sell that one first as the manuals when priced competitively sell from 0-3 days on the market.

Also might try a CarMax search as their pricing doesn't reflect those in the know about the market, you can have it shipped to your local carmax for a few hundred dollars, have a PPI done after you buy it with the 7 day return policy, and the MaxCare warranty is actually very good. My brother bought his 997.2 6speed cab from them and they did $8,000 worth of warranty work to it after he had the PPI (post purchase inspection in this case) done at the local Porsche dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
8KaboveMSL (10-12-2021), TommyV44 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:01 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny99

I would consider a manual C2, but I haven’t driven one. I really love the balance of power to weight on the C2S and am a little concerned I’d feel it was down on power.
I’ve owned both, now settled on my base .2 manual coupe. I honestly don’t think there’s THAT much difference. If you’re not paying close attention with the goal of identifying the power bump on the S, you’d never notice. Borderline academic for normal everyday driving conditions.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:18 PM
zoomyracecar
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

P.S.

2. Color
I lived in exactly the same camp, gun-shy on pulling the trigger time and time again, and paid up painfully for doing so - that said, I looked for *3 years* to find a high-spec, 997 targa 4S with reasonable miles in a skittles color, and finally found it ('08 forest green metallic T4S 54kmi, lots of option codes) at the height of the market, across the country, at a dealer. Did I overpay? Probably, but for a fully sorted unicorn, that's what you have to do if you actually want the car in your garage - because of the high prices, the unicorns are coming back out to market.

Haven't regretted it for a second. I feel giddy every time I walk out to the garage and see its curvy rear end sitting there...

-Zoomy.
The following users liked this post:
Not-a-5-seater (10-17-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

OP, life is short. If you don't need to sweat the financials, get the car you want and don't look back. Prices for 997s will likely not drop much if at all. The supply chain/chip issues are driving inflation on luxury goods and will likely persist for at least 1-2 years. You could be looking for awhile for your right car/price or you can pay a perceived premium now and just enjoy it. Nobody but you knows where your personal value and enjoyment sweet spot is for a 997, but if there is anything I've come to appreciate in my old age (55), it is not to sweat the small stuff and have gratitude every day and moment possible. Don't take what might come to pass for granted and enjoy the moment(s) while you can. If you knew you might get hit by a bus in the near future, what would you do? Doesn't mean it will happen or that you should be irresponsible. But don't over-think or analyze things. It's a sports car. Get in and enjoy the literal and proverbial drive. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:54 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
Get the manual you really want. For manual guys, driving a manual 997 is such a pleasure. I have 6 Porsches and the 5 sports cars are all manuals - no interest in a 2 pedal sports car no matter how good the transmissions are or how good they get. If I was a track junkie and trying to shave seconds or tenths, then maybe, but I'm not and really enjoy the involvement of both arms and legs when driving, shifting, rev matching, etc. I don't often deal with traffic so that's not a consideration for me either.

With a keen eye and ready to pounce funding, you should be able to find a manual for just a little more than you can sell your PDK for, but if you need the funds from the PDK car to buy the manual, you'll have to sell that one first as the manuals when priced competitively sell from 0-3 days on the market.

Also might try a CarMax search as their pricing doesn't reflect those in the know about the market, you can have it shipped to your local carmax for a few hundred dollars, have a PPI done after you buy it with the 7 day return policy, and the MaxCare warranty is actually very good. My brother bought his 997.2 6speed cab from them and they did $8,000 worth of warranty work to it after he had the PPI (post purchase inspection in this case) done at the local Porsche dealer.
Good point. Nervous to get out of one then buy back in, but that’s looking like my best options. I’ll check out car max.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:56 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
OP, life is short. If you don't need to sweat the financials, get the car you want and don't look back. Prices for 997s will likely not drop much if at all. The supply chain/chip issues are driving inflation on luxury goods and will likely persist for at least 1-2 years. You could be looking for awhile for your right car/price or you can pay a perceived premium now and just enjoy it. Nobody but you knows where your personal value and enjoyment sweet spot is for a 997, but if there is anything I've come to appreciate in my old age (55), it is not to sweat the small stuff and have gratitude every day and moment possible. Don't take what might come to pass for granted and enjoy the moment(s) while you can. If you knew you might get hit by a bus in the near future, what would you do? Doesn't mean it will happen or that you should be irresponsible. But don't over-think or analyze things. It's a sports car. Get in and enjoy the literal and proverbial drive. Good luck with your decision.
thanks. Good advice and I think I’m there. Now I need to move mine so I can find the right one.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:36 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 92 Posts

Keep an eye on Porsche Dealership inventory as they tend to be more "reasonably priced" (they tend to look more at book value) then the "low mileage resale independent dealers".....then Swap them your PDK as you may have some negotiation on the price difference....
Other than that...buy a manual coupe 997.2 manual coupe now before the prices plane off and then get even higher in a year or two.....
Good Luck
The following 2 users liked this post by soundbehindyou:
8KaboveMSL (10-17-2021), jonny99 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:32 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

A lot of good advice here so far!

I'll chime in and say that if you put your 911 away for the winter, I'd sell your current car now and stash the cash.

Then I'd wait until spring to see if the price bubble has popped a bit (unlikely but there's a chance) or simply be ready to strike hard when the right car presents itself when the spring selling season starts in earnest.
The following 2 users liked this post by heavysixer22:
jonny99 (10-12-2021), soundbehindyou (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:56 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Advice taken. PPI on this one tomorrow. A little higher mileage but we will see how the report comes back.
The following 4 users liked this post by jonny99:
Busta Rib (10-13-2021), dmpslc (10-13-2021), myw (10-19-2021), TerrestrialFlyte (10-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Dilemma