Sponsored by:

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 04:29 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dilemma

Owning a 911 has been a life long pursuit. It only recently because a reality. I bought a 997.2 cab PDK in January of this year after looking for a few months. I originally set out to buy a manual coupe, but this one popped up as a 1 owner local car with sub 30k miles. I probably jumped the gun but feel like I got it for a fair price.

After several months of owning it, I still really want a manual coupe, but it’s seems like the market is going crazy. This benefits me on the sale of my car but some of the manual coupes seem to be going for top dollar. Seems hard to find a decent manual C2S sub $70k. There’s another local 997.2 with 60k miles for almost $75k. I have my car listed for sale, but I am apprehensive to sell it with out another car lined up. I would be ok selling it now if I new I could get back in one for a reasonable price.

So here is where I am asking for your help and guidance.

-Am I crazy to trade a lower mile PDK cab for a higher mile manual coupe that is substantially mor money?

-how much of this increase in pricing is sustainable? I am assuming that some of it is driven by low used car inventory, but also the fact that 997.2 manual coupes seem to be some what difficult to find.

-should I wait til the covid supply shortages pass or will prices keep going up?

I am only considering 997.2 and like the one I have. Just feel like I settled and want a car that checks all the boxes. I know a lot of this is subjective and there is no crystal ball, but would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

If you're looking at keeping the car a long time and putting miles on it the higher mileage probably isn't as much of a factor. If you are looking at a weekend driver for a couple of years with minimal additional mileage then that could be a different story. A bit more background would be helpful.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:53 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
If you're looking at keeping the car a long time and putting miles on it the higher mileage probably isn't as much of a factor. If you are looking at a weekend driver for a couple of years with minimal additional mileage then that could be a different story. A bit more background would be helpful.
The original plan was to buy a car I could have for a very long time. Full disclosure, my track record of keeping cars is not very long, but my two other vehicles are SUV’s so 3rd car is simply for fun. I typically take it out 2 weekends a month. I try not to commute in it but will occasionally drive it during the week If it were the right car I could see myself owning it a long time. I’m just afraid I’m buying during a bubble at the “top of the market.” I’m really looking for guidance on values.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:16 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The 997 depreciation curve was near its anticipated bottom when Covid hit. Prices may level for a while but the general consensus is that they won't go down. But cars are, in general, depreciating assets.

As for keeping the car, I've owned close to a hundred vehicles and have driven uncountable others. With every new acquisition I found myself wondering about what my next car would be before I got the new car to my driveway. I drove my newly acquired 997.2 a hundred miles to my driveway and then realized the idea of next vehicle hadn't crossed my mind. Seven years and over 100K miles later and the only thoughts have been fantastical ... 997 TTS or 997 GT3. But I won't spend the extra money to replace what I have.

Of course, YMMV. The only thing I might have done differently is look for a GT car (GTS or GT3). But I didn't know I'd fall in love with the 997 as I have 😀
The following 7 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
911-997 (10-12-2021), alfetta (10-18-2021), BLU997 (10-11-2021), lordvonpineapple (10-12-2021), rileyracing1 (10-11-2021), Robocop305 (10-12-2021), sandwedge (10-12-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:27 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

The 997 depreciation curve was near its anticipated bottom when Covid hit. Prices may level for a while but the general consensus is that they won't go down. But cars are, in general, depreciating assets.

As for keeping the car, I've owned close to a hundred vehicles and have driven uncountable others. With every new acquisition I found myself wondering about what my next car would be before I got the new car to my driveway. I drove my newly acquired 997.2 a hundred miles to my driveway and then realized the idea of next vehicle hadn't crossed my mind. Seven years and over 100K miles later and the only thoughts have been fantastical ... 997 TTS or 997 GT3. But I won't spend the extra money to replace what I have.

Of course, YMMV. The only thing I might have done differently is look for a GT car (GTS or GT3). But I didn't know I'd fall in love with the 997 as I have 😀
Thank you. Very helpful. I love the 997 just regret not being more patient and waiting for the perfect car. So another words, you don’t think paying $75k now for a good example is not a bad financial move? I don’t plan on selling it ever, but things are good now and we all know that can change quickly.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:35 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny99
Thank you. Very helpful. I love the 997 just regret not being more patient and waiting for the perfect car. So another words, you don’t think paying $75k now for a good example is not a bad financial move? I don’t plan on selling it ever, but things are good now and we all know that can change quickly.
I personally would not pay $75K for a .2 manual. That’s getting into 991 pricing IMO, especially once this bubble is over. I’d sell your PDK now since it is sorta at its peak, and then wait for the 997.2 S manual that you want or if you have to have something now, are you willing to “settle” for a non S 997.2 manual?
Old 10-11-2021, 05:44 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
I personally would not pay $75K for a .2 manual. That’s getting into 991 pricing IMO, especially once this bubble is over. I’d sell your PDK now since it is sorta at its peak, and then wait for the 997.2 S manual that you want or if you have to have something now, are you willing to “settle” for a non S 997.2 manual?
If I found the “perfect” example, then I don’t think I would mind paying $75k, but most of them popping up for around that price have not been “perfect” (used car I get it..no such thing as perfect). So I’m with you it seems high, but so does everything right now.

I would consider a manual C2, but I haven’t driven one. I really love the balance of power to weight on the C2S and am a little concerned I’d feel it was down on power.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
I prefer a 997 to a 991, and the 997.2s were built in lower quantities than the 991s. I expect 997.2s to surpass the price of early 991s.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jaws1:
63mercedes (10-13-2021), AxelR (10-19-2021), Robocop305 (10-12-2021), TerrestrialFlyte (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:51 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jaws1
I prefer a 997 to a 991, and the 997.2s were built in lower quantities than the 991s. I expect 997.2s to surpass the price of early 991s.

Agreed. no interest in 991 or really any other gen at this point. So willing to pay a little more for 997.2.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 07:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonny99
While not quite apples to apples, this is a recently sold GTS ...

"Sale price was $88.2K, all in.

The hammer price would likely have been higher had the seller not evaded four separate requests over 5 days to post a DME report (almost mandatory for a 6MT)). It also had a "cloudy" title issue that PCARMARKET reps apparently got sorted out, after the auction closed, to consummate the sale.

Take away is that despite a 64K odo and unknown DME rev report, thanks to an unresponsive seller, this 6MT/RWD Coupe brought close to $90K."

This car had a lot of negatives.

Are the current prices crazy? Compared to 18 months ago, yes. But used cars in general are up, some claim as high as 40%.

A lot of those cars should drop down when new chips are available to complete new cars. But then there's the battle of chip makers not wanting to retool for the older chips that are used in new cars. The car makers don't want to install new technology that would require new testing to get government approvals. The chip makers want to make only new chips.

I feel it is likely that the selling prices of 997s won't be affected by new car availability anyway. So the question isn't what the future market price will be, but what is the value of the car to you.
The following users liked this post:
AxelR (10-19-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

My advice is buy the one you want and enjoy it. I bought a 2007 C4 and traded it for my GTS 2 weeks later. I have absolutely no regrets. There's something about scratching that itch............ This is a lifestyle as well as a magnificent car.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:48 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
My advice is buy the one you want and enjoy it. I bought a 2007 C4 and traded it for my GTS 2 weeks later. I have absolutely no regrets. There's something about scratching that itch............ This is a lifestyle as well as a magnificent car.
I think if I got the manual coupe I’d scratch the itch and enjoy it for a very long time.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:49 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

While not quite apples to apples, this is a recently sold GTS ...

"Sale price was $88.2K, all in.

The hammer price would likely have been higher had the seller not evaded four separate requests over 5 days to post a DME report (almost mandatory for a 6MT)). It also had a "cloudy" title issue that PCARMARKET reps apparently got sorted out, after the auction closed, to consummate the sale.

Take away is that despite a 64K odo and unknown DME rev report, thanks to an unresponsive seller, this 6MT/RWD Coupe brought close to $90K."

This car had a lot of negatives.

Are the current prices crazy? Compared to 18 months ago, yes. But used cars in general are up, some claim as high as 40%.

A lot of those cars should drop down when new chips are available to complete new cars. But then there's the battle of chip makers not wanting to retool for the older chips that are used in new cars. The car makers don't want to install new technology that would require new testing to get government approvals. The chip makers want to make only new chips.

I feel it is likely that the selling prices of 997s won't be affected by new car availability anyway. So the question isn't what the future market price will be, but what is the value of the car to you.
i think for the right car I’m willing to pay what the market commands now. Maybe I just haven’t found the right car.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:51 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Congratulations on solving your dilemma.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 PM
jonny99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
Congratulations on solving your dilemma.
I guess I’m lucky to have these first world problems. Now to find the one!

Quick Reply: Dilemma