Question: What did you buy for your car? Wasted Money

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Are Gen2 the same as the Revolution switches that they sell, cause I got them from ClimaRepair about 2.5 years ago and they still look brand new on my car.
No, there were 3 or 4 or 5 generations of crap toggles from ClimaRepair before the Revolution versions that seem to maybe be decent were introduced.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:02 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
No, there were 3 or 4 or 5 generations of crap toggles from ClimaRepair before the Revolution versions that seem to maybe be decent were introduced.
Ok, that makes sense then cause mine have been perfect.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Yeah, I am part of a group of tri-state area Porsche friends who get together for annual work on cars days. Most of them have Boxsters as I had a Boxster before and joined them back then. Some of us have moved to 911s but we still gather and have fun working on cars. There’s about 20+ of us and most if not all just use the Mobil 1 0W-40. Some I’ve seen maybe use Castrol or AMS oil, but I haven’t seen anyone use Motul or Driven. I don’t think they even know about it. Same goes with the MoS2 moly additive. None of these guys have had IMS or other engine issues over the years. I think if they came to this site, they’d be scared. LOL.

I’ve since switched to M1 5W-50 on my 997 cause I think it has more protection from shear than the 0W, but not sure if it makes much difference.
Sums it up. If there was a problem with Mobil oil I think we would hear about it here, at gatherings such as the ones you go to and elsewhere. But maybe most importantly though, would Porsche keep pouring Mobil oil into factory new cars and into cars coming in for oil changes if they felt the oil was inferior to other products? Other than the rare IMS and PDK failures, Porsche has a reputation of mechanical reliability up there with the best in the industry. Would they risk losing that reputation in exchange for Mobil money, putting inferior oil in their cars? Seems unlikely to me.

The manufacturer also recommends 10k mile oil change intervals. Curious if your following that recommendation as well.

Just because a manufacturer receives a boatload of money to endorse a prosuxt and put that label in your engine compartment doesn't necessarily make it the best choice. The only thing most manufacturers really care about is getting the car through the warranty period.
Can't say I disagree with any of that except maybe the notion that Porsche recommends a bad oil product in return for what's probably pocket change to them from Mobil. And no, I change my oil every 5K miles, not 10K. Porsche also allows oil burn of a quart every 600 miles. As I recall it, a RL member took European delivery of his brand new 2006 C2S. It burned a quart just over 600 miles right off the factory floor and still does last I heard. I think he has over 80K miles on the car now. I wouldn't be happy with that even if it's within Porsche's oil burn tolerance level.

So no, I don't take Porsche's recommendations as gospel but as for Mobil oil vs. the much more expensive options I just haven't seen any conclusive evidence of benefits of the fancier brands.

Would be interesting to hear from the real high mileage 997 owners on this. Bruce in Philly (I guess Atlanta now) comes to mind with I think close to 180K miles on his car now. What kind of oil have the real high mileage guys used to get to where they are?
Old 09-08-2021, 06:36 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Porsche also allows oil burn of a quart every 600 miles.
Actually, Porsche allows up to 1 qt per 390 miles of oil usage if you do the math per below:

Old 09-08-2021, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually, Porsche allows up to 1 qt per 390 miles of oil usage if you do the math per below:

That saves them a fortune in replacement engines just by putting that into print. I'm very glad none of my Porsches shave this kind of oil usage because I'd bet they have the poor compression numbers that correlate to it. The fact that some engines have this kind of consumption and other don't says something about their manufacturing tolerances which is guess is also why some engines see bore scoring and others don't. It's also possible that a higher oil consuming engine is less likely to score because it's looser or that may be the case in a 997.2 where scoring is usually a seizure, but the opposite in a 987.1 where scoring is usually from piston rocks and skirt contact.

Wayne and Bruce are probably the high mileage guys and I think both use Mobil 1 so maybe it's fine, but less wear.metals in UOA reports are.betternthsn more wear metals and I consistently see lower wear metals and better viscosity numbers from other oils in people's UOA reports. So maybe Mobil 1 is good enough even if something else is better.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

That saves them a fortune in replacement engines just by putting that into print. I'm very glad none of my Porsches shave this kind of oil usage because I'd bet they have the poor compression numbers that correlate to it. The fact that some engines have this kind of consumption and other don't says something about their manufacturing tolerances which is guess is also why some engines see bore scoring and others don't. It's also possible that a higher oil consuming engine is less likely to score because it's looser or that may be the case in a 997.2 where scoring is usually a seizure, but the opposite in a 987.1 where scoring is usually from piston rocks and skirt contact.

Wayne and Bruce are probably the high mileage guys and I think both use Mobil 1 so maybe it's fine, but less wear.metals in UOA reports are.betternthsn more wear metals and I consistently see lower wear metals and better viscosity numbers from other oils in people's UOA reports. So maybe Mobil 1 is good enough even if something else is better.
This is why I wonder if folks here didn’t rush to a rebuild at the first sign of scoring, just how long their engines would continue to last given the tolerances of these engines. I mean, an engine starts dying from day 1. If you are going to spend $30-35K on a rebuild, why not just keep running it as long as possible and then do the rebuild? I can understand if you are getting CELs or engine clanking or what not, but if it runs fine, why not just keep driving and enjoying it?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is why I wonder if folks here didn’t rush to a rebuild at the first sign of scoring, just how long their engines would continue to last given the tolerances of these engines. I mean, an engine starts dying from day 1. If you are going to spend $30-35K on a rebuild, why not just keep running it as long as possible and then do the rebuild? I can understand if you are getting CELs or engine clanking or what not, but if it runs fine, why not just keep driving and enjoying it?
Many of the pictures we see here, the engines are done once thwy have those deep grooves all the way up the cylinder walls. With light scuffing they can continue to be driven until you start getting misfires. Once the misfires start, that's from a loss of compression and they'll no longer run right, start diluting the oil with fuel and damaging the rest of the cylinders until it's dead. Once the misfires start, it's rebuild time. For someone that's going to for sure rebuild their car, if they discover light scoring or scuffing from a boroscope, that's the time to get on Jake's list and the car might make it that next year until it's time to pull the motor.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:27 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 133 Posts

Are Gen2 the same as the Revolution switches that they sell, cause I got them from ClimaRepair about 2.5 years ago and they still look brand new on my car.
I just put in new A/C switches that I received from Amazon for $30 yesterday, they look nearly perfect! And surprisingly simple install.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

I regret spending $3500 on a new clutch and upgraded IMS bearing when I first bought the car 18k miles ago. Both are getting replaced when my engine gets built by FSI in a year.

Quick Reply: Question: What did you buy for your car? Wasted Money