6MT fluid change and Function First transmission mount inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:17 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 6MT fluid change and Function First transmission mount inserts

2010 C2S 60,000 miles 6MT

Just had Mobilube PTX 75w90 swap in my 6MT. Also had the Function First transmission mount inserts installed. I chose the yellow sport version,
There is a noticeable difference in shifting. Neutral to first is so much better, also an increase in NHV, but not too bad. I believe it will smooth out after break-in. The technician told me he extracted 4 liters from the transmission, and used all of the 4 liters of new PTX. When I switched to sport PASM, NHV became undesirable. Hopefully this will smooth out. Overall I am extremely happy with the inserts, don’t know if the PTX or the inserts changed Neutral to 1st improvement. I also replaced the OEM drain plug with the LN Engineering magnetic drain plug.

Last edited by David Berry; 08-17-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

I installed the orange ones and did not notice any additional NVH from the transmission.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

2009 C2S 174K

That transmission should not have taken 4 litres. Did he use the top fill plug? Seriously, I would have him put it back on the rack and open the lower drain plug. If any pours out, it was overfilled. I am assuming he put the fluid in while the car was level.

I put PTX in my transmission a few times now and in my car, it takes just a tad over three litres. One time, the tech at my indy was just hired from the Porsche dealership... so I assumed he knew what he was doing. I gave him exactly three litres of the stuff (same bottles as you show here). He came back to me in the waiting area and said he needed more fluid... the fill was no where near the fill hole. I went back with him and here he was filling from the top hole. It was the first MT on the .2 cars he ever did. If you wondered what would happen if you filled from the top hole, well I am here to tell you that nothing... it is is all connected in there fine. So anywho, he appologized, opened the lower hole and the fill was just a slim tad under the hole line. He put in an "L" shaped allen wrench in there to get a reading.

Seriously, I think your transmission is over filled.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-18-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
DesmoSD (08-18-2021), jchapura (08-18-2021), nerdnic (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 174K

That transmission should not have taken 4 litres. Did he use the top fill plug? Seriously, I would have him put it back on the rack and open the lower drain plug. If any pours out, it was overfilled. I am assuming he put the fluid in while the car was level.

I put PTX in my transmission a few times now and in my car, it takes just a tad over three litres. One time, the tech at my indy was just hired from the Porsche dealership... so I assumed he knew what he was doing. I gave him exactly three litres of the stuff (same bottles as you show here). He came back to me in the waiting area and said he needed more fluid... the fill was no where near the fill hole. I went back with him and here he was filling from the top hole. It was the first MT on the .2 cars he ever did. If you wondered what would happen if you filled from the top hole, well I am here to tell you that nothing... it is is all connected in there fine. So anywho, he appologized, opened the lower hole and the fill was just a slim tad under the hole line. He put in an "L" shaped allen wrench in there to get a reading.

Seriously, I think your transmission is over filled.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Totally agree with this. Mine took 2.8 or 2.9L and I knew about the 2nfill holes and still had to look for the correct, lower one.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:18 AM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Bruce, thanks for confirming. I just bought 3L of PTX based on other posts I've read, but this thread had me worried I didn't buy enough. Glad I won't have to wait for another bottle to show up before I can do the work.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:06 AM
David Berry
Racer

I’m going to need to talk with the shop about this!
The morning drive today was pretty incredible.
with the addition of Function First semisolid engine mounts and the sport version of the transmission mount inserts, the car seems settled
already. The feel of connection to the car has really improved.
The noise, vibration and harshness really subsided! Driving with sport PASM was nothing like the first drive yesterday, and I enjoyed driving sport mode.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Experience, having done this on my and a couple of friends' cars, is that the NVH settles down quickly after installation.

On the 997.1 Jake has documented a slight HP loss due to the vibration affecting the knock sensor. I've read that the algorithm on the .2 cars is different and the 9A1 motors are not affected. But I haven't seen documented evidence.

I went with the hardest available mounts on my motor and transmission (2010 C4S PDK) and haven't noticed any power reduction. But that is seat of the pants and meaningless.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 08-18-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:22 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

I have the OEM transmission mounts and going into first gear had some crunch/difficulty going into from first gear. This issue occurred when the engine/fluid were cold and not fully warmed up. After switching to PTX, the transition from neutral to first gear became more smooth with less crunch. Still a little resistance when coming to a rolling stop but still able to put it in gear which is a result of the PTX fluid.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:00 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You have to wonder why Porsche designed 2 plugs to confuse the mechanic which is the correct fill hole. This even fooled the experienced Porsche mechanic.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:06 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Not sure if this is applicable or not but a couple weeks ago I swapped out a friend's OEM shifter for a GT3 Cup unit. Unlike other SSK units that include a new base, this update required cutting out the old bushings and putting in new, keeping the original base. The original bushings were worn and there was a lot of play between the **** and the cable motion. This linkage tightened up significantly when the new bushings were installed.

Note ... the bushings appeared to be identical replacements. We did not replace or adjust the cables.

Bottom line ... As well as shortening the shift travel this friend stated that the notchiness he had going into second was gone.

We spent a very leisurely 4 hours doing this job but a lot of that time was spent discussing and doing other things. The actual job time was probably half that at most, without any rushing.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:03 PM
tgilgan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the 3 liters of PTX for the manual transmission, what about front diff and AWD lubricant amounts? (i have a 2010 C4S)

any other fluids I should be replacing and how much I need?

my track friends are telling me to do an "all systems" fluid flush.. just not totally sure what the systems are. Brake fluid is done twice a year, and oil as well... so that is already sorted.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:10 PM
andino
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tgilgan
I got the 3 liters of PTX for the manual transmission, what about front diff and AWD lubricant amounts? (i have a 2010 C4S)

any other fluids I should be replacing and how much I need?

my track friends are telling me to do an "all systems" fluid flush.. just not totally sure what the systems are. Brake fluid is done twice a year, and oil as well... so that is already sorted.
997.2 front diff info. There's both the clutch side and diff side so i'd recommend looking through the workshop manual attached if you plan to DIY.

Attached Images
Old 08-18-2021, 07:41 PM
tgilgan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

egads. how does one obtain the entire shop manual? I have the entire parts document - but that is golden.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 PM
andino
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tgilgan
egads. how does one obtain the entire shop manual? I have the entire parts document - but that is golden.
There's a link floating around somewhere on rennlist where you can download it.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:04 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Experience, having done this on my and a couple of friends' cars, is that the NVH settles down quickly after installation.

On the 997.1 Jake has documented a slight HP loss due to the vibration affecting the knock sensor. I've read that the algorithm on the .2 cars is different and the 9A1 motors are not affected. But I haven't seen documented evidence.

I went with the hardest available mounts on my motor and transmission (2010 C4S PDK) and haven't noticed any power reduction. But that is seat of the pants and meaningless.
I was really surprised how quickly the NVH disappeared. The feel of the shifting has really become crisper. I find a pretty big positive difference with the yellow sport mount inserts, and would recommend.
I wonder if the difference felt has anything to do with PDK vs 6MT?
I am 6MT and am enjoying this setup. I would not want to revert back to no inserts.

Last edited by David Berry; 08-19-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 6MT fluid change and Function First transmission mount inserts