6MT fluid change and Function First transmission mount inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 02:03 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 174K

Seriously, I think your transmission is over filled.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

The Porsche Indy was Koby Motors. Their shop had around 65 Porsche’s
in their yard. Some models I have never seen before. He assured me that the transmission was not overfilled. He said they replaced the same amount that drained. I suspect we have a language and cultural misunderstanding. I believe he was telling me he was not returning the fourth liter, as some was used. The car drives great. Just drove from Houston to San Antonio, 185 miles. Smiles all the way.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
The Porsche Indy was Koby Motors. Their shop had around 65 Porsche’s
in their yard. Some models I have never seen before. He assured me that the transmission was not overfilled. He said they replaced the same amount that drained. I suspect we have a language and cultural misunderstanding. I believe he was telling me he was not returning the fourth liter, as some was used. The car drives great. Just drove from Houston to San Antonio, 185 miles. Smiles all the way.
Sounds good. But I would take my car up to the local service station and have him/her undo the lower fill hole and see if any came out. Just me.

I would also ask for the remaining fluid because next time, you won't have to buy 4 liters, just three. He is costing you real money. That stuff is expensive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now in Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Sounds good. But I would take my car up to the local service station and have him/her undo the lower fill hole and see if any came out. Just me.

I would also ask for the remaining fluid because next time, you won't have to buy 4 liters, just three. He is costing you real money. That stuff is expensive.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now in Atlanta)
Exactly this yet again. It's almost impossible to screw up this check. Too much fluid will blow the seals out of the transmission when it gets hot and expands. All you need is the large hex socket key and a drain pan. I've never heard of one of these taking over 3 liters when filled from the proper hole unless they spilled a lot of it, in which case they used more than 3 liters but the trans doesn't have more than 3 in it.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

Congrats to everyone paying attention and changing the gear oil in their MT cars at some reasonable interval . 60 to 80 K seems reasonable, factory says about 100k. Also congrats on using the Mobil PTX and not doing your own experiments in chemistry and tribology with your own home brew of STP and corn head grease (don't even try!). The quantity of gear oil is 3.0000 liters. Being an ole timey not pressurized splash and hope type lubrication system, a little more or less is perfectly fine. As to the drain/fill plugs; The bottom is the drain for sure. The two plugs on the side are for the filling operation which occurs after you have re-installed the drain plug!! (it has happened) For a pure technical method, you would remove both of the side plugs. You would then fill the new PTX into the top hole slowly and watch for fluid dripping/flowing out of the lower hole. You then stop and reinstall both plugs with new aluminum washers (engine oil washers work fine 18 X 24 X 1.5 mm). More ideally, you would use a tight fitting hose on both holes and you would not be able to spill any fluid and it would be a controlled operation, probably like it is done in the factory.
However for us guys laying on our back under the car in the driveway and use to spilling everything, the classic good ole boy method is to remove the lower plug and fill into it with our $6 bottle pump and when the floid starts running back out and down our arm, we know that it is full and w have made a classic mess on the driveway and we had a good time. Just use the lower plug hole as it is the controlling factor for proper filling. Buy 3 liters of PTX and use all of it, you don't need any more. the driveway will take care of any excess. Have fun under there!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Floyd540:
DesmoSD (08-20-2021), Snakebit (08-20-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 05:25 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

[QUOTE=Bruce In Philly;17614201]2009 C2S 174K

That transmission should not have taken 4 litres. Did he use the top fill plug? Seriously, I would have him put it back on the rack and open the lower drain plug. If any pours out, it was overfilled. I am assuming he put the fluid in while the car was level.

I put PTX in my transmission a few times now and in my car, it takes just a tad over three litres. One time, the tech at my indy was just hired from the Porsche dealership... so I assumed he knew what he was doing. I gave him exactly three litres of the stuff (same bottles as you show here). He came back to me in the waiting area and said he needed more fluid... the fill was no where near the fill hole. I went back with him and here he was filling from the top hole. It was the first MT on the .2 cars he ever did. If you wondered what would happen if you filled from the top hole, well I am here to tell you that nothing... it is is all connected in there fine. So anywho, he appologized, opened the lower hole and the fill was just a slim tad under the hole line. He put in an "L" shaped allen wrench in there to get a reading.

Seriously, I think your transmission is over filled.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Shortly after I bought my 997.2 I made an appointment with the local dealer to check out the notchiness between 1st and 2nd gears. The tech did a test drive and thought it was OK. Anyway, he gave me a half hour seminar as a new customer. He put it up on the hoist and drained the trans. I think it was his first 997 as well, because he filled it to the top hole. He then proceeded to his service manual and noticed he over filled it, and dumped out the difference. Thank God he noticed it before I left. It happens at Porsche dealers too. At least I didn't have to pay for it. They made up for it later however.

Last edited by bheit1; 08-21-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 6MT fluid change and Function First transmission mount inserts