Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear deck lid won't close

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

So from your earlier picture, I can't tell but shouldn't the surface the red arrow points to come in contact before the surface the yellow arrow points to?
What I mean is the yellow surface is the very bottom of the channel but the red is the "claw" that rotates when the Dring pushes it downward?

Old 08-15-2021, 07:37 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again. I think maybe what's best is if I take a video of it tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakebit
So from your earlier picture, I can't tell but shouldn't the surface the red arrow points to come in contact before the surface the yellow arrow points to?
What I mean is the yellow surface is the very bottom of the channel but the red is the "claw" that rotates when the Dring pushes it downward?

Take the tip of a screwdriver and push where the red arrow is. See if She latch will rotate and catch. This takes the D ring bottoming out too early out of the equation and just tests the mechanical aspect of the latch. If it will catch, then actuate the sill.switch again and see if it releases. If so, try the D ring again.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:13 AM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Take the tip of a screwdriver and push where the red arrow is. See if She latch will rotate and catch. This takes the D ring bottoming out too early out of the equation and just tests the mechanical aspect of the latch. If it will catch, then actuate the sill.switch again and see if it releases. If so, try the D ring again.
Thanks. I have tried that and it didn't catch but can try again.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:30 AM
YT61MH
Advanced

Update: took the car to my OPC who spent 10 mins poking around. They can't be sure without doing more diagnostics / swapping parts over, but they think it's the lock/catch inside the rear lid. Rather annoyingly, I've got the car home and now the catch seems to be in the locked position (I can't push the D ring into it anymore).

They also said that my emergency release doesn't look like it's fitted right.

So, my thinking is that I may try to replace the latch and fit the emergency release again myself. Is this a difficult job or something the average Joe should be able to do?

Old 08-21-2021, 09:57 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

For a working example, open frunk, remove plastic surrounds, use your engine hatch D ring in the frunk hatch, lock and release a dozen or so times using the key fob and the frunk emergency cable. Study the operation very carefully then transfer your newly acquired latch knowledge to the rear latch to trouble shoot and repair.

Quick Reply: Rear deck lid won't close