Rear deck lid won't close

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 04:02 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear deck lid won't close

Hi all

As the title says, my rear deck lid won't shut. I was showing someone the engine bay today and it wouldn't latch back into place after, though if you push it it goes down as if it were shut (but then springs open again).

The engine bay light is left on so I'm worried it will run the battery flat too.

I attach a picture of the latch.

Could this be a broken switch? There's nothing obviously wrong with it.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:11 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

This is a pic of my latch for what it is worth.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:08 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I haven't had the latch fail on me. But an easy way to figure out what's going on would be to just remove the D-ring from the decklid and simulate the latching.
I think the D ring is attached using T-25 torx bolts. This test would tell you if there's something wrong mechanically.
It could also be the switch itself in the doorsill - not sure if durametric or foxwell might give you any error codes etc for these.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:26 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
I haven't had the latch fail on me. But an easy way to figure out what's going on would be to just remove the D-ring from the decklid and simulate the latching.
I think the D ring is attached using T-25 torx bolts. This test would tell you if there's something wrong mechanically.
It could also be the switch itself in the doorsill - not sure if durametric or foxwell might give you any error codes etc for these.
Thank you for the reply, and please forgive my ignorance...

Why would removing the d ring (which I can easily do, I have the tools etc.) help to diagnose the problem?

Unfortunately I don't have either of those two diagnostic tools to hand.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:36 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Update. I've removed the d ring as instructed. The lid closes so that verifies there's no obstruction.

The d ring, when I try to push it in to the latch, doesn't catch.

So this must mean it is a mechanical fault with the latch itself or a fault with the switch, right?

Edit: and when I switch on the engine I get the same error message re the lid not being closed.

Last edited by YT61MH; 08-15-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:57 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I assume you opened the deck lid with the electric switch and you heard it release? What happens when you active the switch in the cabin again, do you here the solenoid activate.

Seems like the locking pin is stuck and not returning to the proper position to engage with the latch when you close lid.

I don't have a 997 to experiment with but on the 996 one could leave the deck lid up and close the latch mechanism with hand/fingers (latch is locked shut position), then unlock it with electric switch in cabin.

Last edited by enthusiast; 08-15-2021 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:14 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I assume you opened the deck lid with the electric switch and you heard it release? What happens when you active the switch in the cabin again, do you here the solenoid activate.

Seems like the locking pin is stuck and not returning to the proper position to engage with the latch when you close lid.

I don't have a 997 to experiment with but on the 996 one could leave the deck lid up and close the latch mechanism with hand/fingers (latch is locked shut position), then unlock it with electric switch in cabin.
I opened the lid using the electric switch in the driver side door (not aware of any other way?).

When I use the same switch, I hear a bit of a clicking sound but nothing happens. Nothing visibly happens in the engine bay.

I'm not really sure how to actually try to close the latch manually in the way you have described. I have tried pushing the d ring in there but it doesn't 'catch' if that makes sense.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:30 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Did you remove the light bulb from the light assembly to save your battery power?

Back to the latching mechanism... what should happen in the closing process is the 'D' ring on the lid contacts a metal jaw in the latch assembly, as the 'D' presses against the jaw, the jaw rotates or moves until a spring loaded rod/bar slides into a detent/hole/notch in the jaw. The jaw is now locked in position holding the 'D' ring lid in place.

Last edited by enthusiast; 08-15-2021 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:33 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Did you remove the light bulb from the light assembly to save your battery power?

Back to the latching mechanism... what should happen in the closing process is the 'D' ring on the lid contacts a metal jaw in the latch assembly, as the 'D' presses against the jaw, the jaw rotates or moves until a spring loaded rod/bar slides into a detent/hoe/notch in the jaw. The jaw is now locked in position holding the 'D' ring.
Now that I have removed the D ring, the light in the engine bay is off.

That makes sense. What's happening in my case is that nothing like that happens. The rod/bar doesn't seem to be engaging. I wonder if I ought to spray some PB blaster in there? Could it do any harm?!

Would you say this sounds like a problem with the latch rather than the switch?
Old 08-15-2021, 06:41 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Based on this pic, your Dring should be able to bottom out in the slot. Does yours when you do it with your hand?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:45 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Maybe have someone pull the switch as ur pulling up on it with a screwdriver or a miscellaneous d ring. If it's stuck and you get it free a graphite dry lube could be useful.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:45 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I do not know if your latch assembly has electrical components inside, so cannot recommend using any liquids. Some latches have an electrical solenoid that releases the locking rod/bar/pin that in turn allows the spring loaded jaw to move thus releasing the 'D' ring.

The good news is your engine lid and latch are not stuck in the closed position (but there is an emergency release for that situation)

Last edited by enthusiast; 08-15-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:02 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snakebit
Based on this pic, your Dring should be able to bottom out in the slot. Does yours when you do it with your hand?

It bottoms out but doesn't catch.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:03 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

I do not know if your latch assembly has electrical components inside, so cannot recommend using any liquids. Some latches have an electrical solenoid that releases the locking rod/bar/pin that in turn allows the spring loaded jaw to move thus releasing the 'D' ring.

The good news is your engine lid and latch are not stuck in the closed position (but there is an emergency release for that situation)
Sh*t. I did spray a bit of lubricant in there earlier on. I didn't go mad on it though so hopefully it shouldn't be too problematic.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:04 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Maybe have someone pull the switch as ur pulling up on it with a screwdriver or a miscellaneous d ring. If it's stuck and you get it free a graphite dry lube could be useful.
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. What should I be pulling up on with the latch? Do you mean put the d ring in there and try to get it to catch.

Quick Reply: Rear deck lid won't close