997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021 | 11:28 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Just changed the OEM mounts to Function-First and couldn't be happier with the results. I do feel a slightly different vibration from the engine bay but nothing that bothers me. Also the shifting is smoother and it seems as if the rumble from the engine is a bit more than before so having said that this was a good choice!
Old 06-10-2021 | 12:55 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Default Engine Mounts

I remember seeing a DYI on Rennlist but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone point me that way?
Old 06-10-2021 | 01:05 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bradinthe56
I remember seeing a DYI on Rennlist but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone point me that way?
997.1 - How to replace the engine mounts - Rennline semi-solid mounts - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

The following users liked this post:
MarkTro (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 03:31 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

This is a worthy upgrade and totally worth the slightly increased NVH in the cabin. You can feel the difference immediately if your original mounts are saggy/old. Any semi-solid urethane aftermarket mounts are good. I installed Wevo mounts. They are available with different durometers. I used their black pillows, which are the softest but still provide a nice solid feel for the street and spirited driving.
Old 06-10-2021 | 06:12 PM
mdfud
Advanced

2009 C2S 174K miles

I found the motor mounts in my car to be poorly designed. While they may be great for limiting the amount of noise and vibration transmitted to the chassis... and then to the cabin... they allow the engine to flop around way to much. For example, take a turn hard while moving quickly and accelerate... if the road surface is not smooth, the car will hop around... awful. This is why folks use aftermarket mounts to plant the car. Even Porsche recognized they had an issue so in later years, you could purchase active mounts that stiffened when you applied gas or other conditions were met.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Bruce, Any preference for aftermarket mounts? I've been looking at Rennline but they seem to get mixed reviews. Function First seems to have consistently good reviews. Interested what you used as I've seen a couple of the DIYs you posted and you seem to have better than most knowledge about the mechanics of the 911. TIA

Last edited by mdfud; 06-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Mount upgrade?