Sponsored by:

Let's see your high mileage 997!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 05:33 PM
andino
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
At 142K miles my interior remains new with the exception of the carbon fiber center console that my grandkids stepped on (cracking ensued that the acrylic cement "fix" only hid temporarily). To that I'm debating a grind down resin fill, a wrap, a covering (leather or ...), a replacement piece (McCarbon), or living with it as a reminder.

I really haven't taken a lot of time to keep things clean and treated. Just the occasional wipe down. I've always worried about using treatments that might affect the tanning or other factory enhanced surfaces. So mostly it's been warm water wipes at most.

Hmmmm ... there is a worn spot on my steering wheel that was there when I acquired stewardship at 35K miles. I suspect hand lotion. I adamantly avoid putting anything on my hands that could transfer to any car surface.

I allow myself to be amazed from time to time at how good it still looks. I hang with others who drive their cars as well. And their interiors have also held up well. But this group finds pride as well as enjoyment in Porsche ownership so they do care for their cars. YMMV.

From a different view ... It would be interesting to see pictures of Bruce's interior. I know he uses that car hard as he goes into the swamps to locate birds.
Sometimes you can bring back the satin sheen by cleaning it with some leather cleaner and then conditioning it. Mine develops a shiny spot where my left hand/thumb sit from driving so I clean it every time to clean the seats on my car. An interior brush and some leather cleaner might do the trick to clean up the shine.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

2012 Carrera Black Edition (a C2 with black paint and a few meaningful options, like sport chrono) 85.6K miles, 31.5K added since purchase 2 yrs ago.
Daily driver, road trips to see family and tracks. Only repair to date was a leaky belt tensioner. Heard a brief squeal on start-up one morning, took it to my shop a couple days later for repair. Gets great Blackstone reports.

Well-used and over-maintained. I'm nuts for this thing. Track day shot, morning light and after the Martini stripe was installed. Dog (in background) approved.
He rides in the back seat

Much respect for all you guys well into 6 digits That's the plan for my car as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by Butzi 997:
GTS Sully (09-08-2021), Hootsama (09-08-2021), Ohio Performance (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:12 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by andino
Sometimes you can bring back the satin sheen by cleaning it with some leather cleaner and then conditioning it. Mine develops a shiny spot where my left hand/thumb sit from driving so I clean it every time to clean the seats on my car. An interior brush and some leather cleaner might do the trick to clean up the shine.
It's more a matter of needing fresh paint. The picture is upside down since I parked with the steering wheel upside down.

Edit: I was taught to drive with my thumbs outside the spokes. Older cars with non power pitman steering could break your thumbs under the right conditions if they were in the path of those spokes. I saw that potential happen more than once in my 58 ****** as the steering wheel revolved in a blur. So the wheel itself only sees the tips of my fingers. But the calluses on the base of my thumbs are difficult on the outer part of the spoke surfaces.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 09-07-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

To all who have contributed to this thread, what brand motor oil have you used to get to your mileage? Just curious since there's a discussion on a different thread on Mobil oil being inferior to much more expensive brands. In other words, can you get to the high miles you've posted using Porsche's recommended Mobil oil or is the secret any of the fancier brands?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:27 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
To all who have contributed to this thread, what brand motor oil have you used to get to your mileage? Just curious since there's a discussion on a different thread on Mobil oil being inferior to much more expensive brands. In other words, can you get to the high miles you've posted using Porsche's recommended Mobil oil or is the secret any of the fancier brands?
This is a good idea, but I have a feeling it will be difficult to get a good sample since I’m thinking many here haven’t owned their cars since new and so they don’t know what oil was used prior to them purchasing their car. Not apples to apples, but I do know a guy who has owned his 02 Boxster since new (which has the smallest IMS bearing Porsche made), and he had 320K miles on his original engine prior to offloading it for another car. The engine was still running fine at the time and he used Mobil 1 the entire life of the car. I also used Mobil 1 0W-40 for the 17 yrs I owned my Boxster. Car was fine on that oil, and when I got it at the time, Porsche actually recommended oil changes every 2 yrs or 15k miles which I followed! At the end of the day, it won’t matter cause people who swear by Motul or Driven or whatever oil will just either say it was a fluke or it would last even longer if their oil was used instead.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-08-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Bruce in Philly had 2 engine failures before his current high mileage 987.2, but I don't recall if they were both IMS bearing related or something else. Also, don't know what oil was used in those motors.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I have had 4 m96/m97 engines over 21 years and put lots of mileage on them while using only Mobil-1 0w40. I live near Los Angeles, so winters are mild and it never really gets too cold out here.

I have had 2 M96 engines. 2.5 and 3.4 liter. Both ran flawlessly.
I purchased my1998 Boxster in 2000 with 25k on the odometer. In 2007 I swapped out the engine to a 3.4 996 cable throttle:
-2.5 engine original double row IMS. 94,000 miles when swapped out. Mobil-1 0w40 changed oil every 5k miles
-3.4 996 engine 18,000 miles when installed in 2007. Added LN ims double row bearing in 2015 at 60k engine miles with clutch job. 2020 engine had 85,000 miles on it. Mobil-1 0w40 changed oil every 5k miles

2 M97 engines, both running flawlessly and powerful.
-2006 C4S 3.8 purchased 2010 with 6k on odometer. 2021 has 91,000. Mobil-1 0w40 changed oil every 5k miles
-2008 Cayman S 3.4 purchased 2013 with 17k on odometer. 2021 has 57,000 Mobil-1 0w40 changed oil every 5k miles

Since new my C4S has always burned about 1 quart every 1000 miles. Since covid and working from home I am doing a lot less freeway miles, but a lot more aggressive short trips around town. I have noticed that I am burning a bit more oil with shorter, but also more aggressive driving. I guess it's my way of getting my frustrations out whenever I take my lunch breaks working from home. Still within the Porsche specs for oil consumption for M97 engines. More aggressive city driving will burn more oil than long freeway commutes has been my experience. I would also burn through a quart of oil in a few hours at the track, but then commuting to work it would take a 1000 miles to burn the same amount. Driving behavior obviously has a lot to do with oil consumption rates. I am sure Porsche took that in to account when stating that 1.6 liters oil consumption every 600 miles is possible.

My 3.4 Cayman S burns little to no oil. I rarely have to fill up the Cayman S between oil changes.

I recently switched to Mobil 1 5w-40. Going to try it out and see if I burn a little less oil in the C4S.

Last edited by qikqbn; 09-08-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I recently switched to Mobil 1 5w-40. Going to try it out and see if I burn a little less oil in the C4S.
Good info. Thanks for posting your experience. You should try the M1 5W-50 which is still A40 approved. I see less oil burn with it, and I’m in NJ and use it all year round. The 5W-40 prob won’t yield that much difference in oil burn rate as it’s still a 40W oil.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:34 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Good info. Thanks for posting your experience. You should try the M1 5W-50 which is still A40 approved. I see less oil burn with it, and I’m in NJ and use it all year round. The 5W-40 prob won’t yield that much difference in oil burn rate as it’s still a 40W oil.

Yes, you are correct, and that was my impression too. Since the 5w only refers to "winter" cold viscosity, but still curious. I may take your advice and try the 5w-50 next summer season.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

qikqbn, FWIW (and it won't be worth much because you're still w/i spec) I've never added oil street driving and at the track it's between 12-16 oz. per event with Motul 5w-40.

My car had ~50K on it at purchase, no maintenance receipts, so either I'm lucky or the previous owner was always up on maintenance, or both. Or burning a qt. per 1K is fine...?

I'd recommend getting a used oil analysis, if you haven't been. Blackstone drills down and writes out a paragraph or 2 about their findings with each UAO.
So far I've found it comforting!
Old 09-08-2021, 03:43 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butzi 997
qikqbn, FWIW (and it won't be worth much because you're still w/i spec) I've never added oil street driving and at the track it's between 12-16 oz. per event with Motul 5w-40.

My car had ~50K on it at purchase, no maintenance receipts, so either I'm lucky or the previous owner was always up on maintenance, or both. Or burning a qt. per 1K is fine...?

I'd recommend getting a used oil analysis, if you haven't been. Blackstone drills down and writes out a paragraph or 2 about their findings with each UAO.
So far I've found it comforting!
I may have exaggerated a bit on the track driving with a "quart". 1/2 quart or 16oz is more realistic for me too. A couple bars down on the oil level meter was what I would see after a full day of track. I was just trying to make a point that aggressive track driving can burn oil much faster.
I do get my oil analysis from Blackstone as well. So far so good!! I am keeping a close eye on my metals too
The following 2 users liked this post by qikqbn:
Butzi 997 (09-08-2021), IrishLegend (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
This is a good idea, but I have a feeling it will be difficult to get a good sample since I’m thinking many here haven’t owned their cars since new and so they don’t know what oil was used prior to them purchasing their car. Not apples to apples, but I do know a guy who has owned his 02 Boxster since new (which has the smallest IMS bearing Porsche made), and he had 320K miles on his original engine prior to offloading it for another car. The engine was still running fine at the time and he used Mobil 1 the entire life of the car. I also used Mobil 1 0W-40 for the 17 yrs I owned my Boxster. Car was fine on that oil, and when I got it at the time, Porsche actually recommended oil changes every 2 yrs or 15k miles which I followed! At the end of the day, it won’t matter cause people who swear by Motul or Driven or whatever oil will just either say it was a fluke or it would last even longer if their oil was used instead.
Great point. Stopped short of thinking that far. So I guess my question should be rephrased to only apply to those having owned the car since new. But then, given your friend's Boxster owned since new with 320K miles on Mobil oil throughout the ownership makes quiet a statement though and also answers my question. How bad can that oil be with the miles he got out of that car? In fact I think that's the highest mile later model Porsche I've ever heard of.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (09-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Let's see your high mileage 997!