Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCM+ coming in 2022 for 997 series.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

check it out guys, the 997 pccm+ manual - someone on the UK forums fount it.

https://manuals.plus/porsche/pccmplu...#axzz7SUflTqRt

POSITIVES (compared to aftermarket units)
========
- retains fader (front/rear) control
- retains oem trip/pcm car access for settings. NICE!!!!! - i stand corrected here as I thought this wasn't going to happen.
- retains trip computer
- retains audioPilot
- has auto dimming sensor. Nice
- bluetooth (expected)

NEGATIVES
=========
- has it's own mic on the Pcm, which means it will likely need a new external mic like any aftermarket deck (no install instructions so I cant confirm 100%)
- carplay/AA is wired, just like 996 pccm+
- NO backup camera support, just like 996 pccm+
- screen size 7" - i get why this used the smaller screen similar to the 996 pccm+ (not the 8") to fit all the buttons, mic, SD slots etc. But a 7" screen is late 2000s oem standards. A 7" 16:9 screen is exactly what my oem 2008 rx400h runs. With that said, it is still 'serviceable'
- 800x480p resolution - again, same as my 14 year old daily. a 15 year old iphone is 2.5X higher resolution then this. it is 'serviceable', and definitely better then the 997.1 oem pcm screen, but likely the same as the oem 997.2 pcm 3.0 screen (which is well over a decade old). Compared to the aftermarket 8" 1280x720 997 pcms this is very low resolution. I guess it shouldn't matter since video media playback is fully restricted anyways. Still 'serviceable'.

UNSURE
=======
- rds information output to cluster - music, phone calls, gps info. This will have to be confirmed when people install these.
- color match to exact oem volcano grey - based on the manual photos, it certainly does not look to be an exact match. But it's just manual photography.

Oh, and for better or worse, as discussed, it is an android deck (as expected), android 6.0 to be exact. just like 996 pccm+.

All in all, other then retaining oem pcm functionality (car settings) it is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be. imho, not allowing backup camera support is a major missed opportunity.

I'm sure it will still make some members happy, while others will want a larger screen, backup camera, unrestricted functionality, wireless carplay/AA.

Last edited by myw; 05-06-2022 at 01:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by myw:
coaldrag413 (05-06-2022), Hula (05-07-2022), Pedro Lopes (05-06-2022), RatherJaded (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 03:31 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
check it out guys, the 997 pccm+ manual - someone on the UK forums fount it.

https://manuals.plus/porsche/pccmplu...#axzz7SUflTqRt

POSITIVES (compared to aftermarket units)
========
- retains fader (front/rear) control
- retains oem trip/pcm car access for settings. NICE!!!!! - i stand corrected here as I thought this wasn't going to happen.
- retains trip computer
- retains audioPilot
- has auto dimming sensor. Nice
- bluetooth (expected)

NEGATIVES
=========
- has it's own mic on the Pcm, which means it will likely need a new external mic like any aftermarket deck (no install instructions so I cant confirm 100%)
- carplay/AA is wired, just like 996 pccm+
- NO backup camera support, just like 996 pccm+
- screen size 7" - i get why this used the smaller screen similar to the 996 pccm+ (not the 8") to fit all the buttons, mic, SD slots etc. But a 7" screen is late 2000s oem standards. A 7" 16:9 screen is exactly what my oem 2008 rx400h runs. With that said, it is still 'serviceable'
- 800x480p resolution - again, same as my 14 year old daily. a 15 year old iphone is 2.5X higher resolution then this. it is 'serviceable', and definitely better then the 997.1 oem pcm screen, but likely the same as the oem 997.2 pcm 3.0 screen (which is well over a decade old). Compared to the aftermarket 8" 1280x720 997 pcms this is very low resolution. I guess it shouldn't matter since video media playback is fully restricted anyways. Still 'serviceable'.

UNSURE
=======
- rds information output to cluster - music, phone calls, gps info. This will have to be confirmed when people install these.
- color match to exact oem volcano grey - based on the manual photos, it certainly does not look to be an exact match. But it's just manual photography.

Oh, and for better or worse, as discussed, it is an android deck (as expected), android 6.0 to be exact. just like 996 pccm+.

All in all, other then retaining oem pcm functionality (car settings) it is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be. imho, not allowing backup camera support is a major missed opportunity.

I'm sure it will still make some members happy, while others will want a larger screen, backup camera, unrestricted functionality, wireless carplay/AA.
Great find! Hopefully pricing and availability aren't too far behind.

Honestly, this is exactly what I was expecting and based on what I'm looking for, it should do just fine. I usually charge my phone when I'm in my car anyway, so wired Carplay isn't a deal breaker for me. Like you said, the picture in the manual isn't fantastic and I can only assume they would accurately match Volcano Grey. I would assume that this is also compatible with the Bose system (as that seems to be the most common in our cars) and the install 'should' be pretty close to plug-and-play. I plan on buying one when they become available and will certainly share by thoughts and any tips/tricks on the install here on Rennlist.

Side note, my car's PCM, even though it is equipped with Sports Chrono, does not give me access to the individual settings option. Neither my Indy, nor my dealer can figure out why even after trying to re-initiate that option using multiple PIWIS tools. The only thing they can deduce is that maybe the PCM was replaced under warranty and that the tech may have locked that setting out accidentally. Maybe the PCCM+ will give me access to those settings. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:20 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
I may be in the minority, but I think these are PROs, not Cons. If the goal of these is to match the aesthetic of cars from this era, only adding some modern connectivity options, then this is a huge win to me. I don't want a larger superultra HD screen in my 12 year old car - I'm tired of the screen size wars going on now in modern cars but that's a different story altogether.

I just want seamless integration with the car's native functions in something that looks like it was there from the beginning. Any old Crutchfield or Best Buy special is probably flashier and more feature-rich, but who cares.
The following 5 users liked this post by texass4:
carguy999 (06-19-2022), edmfperez (07-20-2022), nwGTS (05-06-2022), RatherJaded (05-06-2022), Wonderdan (10-02-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
I may be in the minority, but I think these are PROs, not Cons. If the goal of these is to match the aesthetic of cars from this era, only adding some modern connectivity options, then this is a huge win to me. I don't want a larger superultra HD screen in my 12 year old car - I'm tired of the screen size wars going on now in modern cars but that's a different story altogether.

I just want seamless integration with the car's native functions in something that looks like it was there from the beginning. Any old Crutchfield or Best Buy special is probably flashier and more feature-rich, but who cares.
Agree on the screen size and general aesthetics, but the resolution should be better and wireless CarPlay should be standard.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jaws1:
ekam (05-06-2022), irnnr (06-07-2022), myw (05-06-2022), ParkslopeDope (05-08-2022), RatherJaded (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I am basically a tech idiot, " wireless CarPlay should be standard." - does this mean I would have to attach/ plug a cable to the unit from my Apple I Phone to play music or talk from my Apple I phone? rather than bluetoothing it? Also I don't have navigation ( I have the basic stock sound system in my 2005 C2, not Bose or anything, which to me actually sounds pretty good)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texass4

Originally Posted by Jaws1
Agree on the screen size and general aesthetics, but the resolution should be better and wireless CarPlay should be standard.
for sure the 7" 480p screen is better then what our 18 year old pcms are currently running. but a 15 year old iphone 3g is 2.5X higher resolution then this. This screen resolution is literally the same as an oem 997.2 pcm 3.0 screen - which is still 13 years old tech. i know it's a cost cutting thing as the 996+ pccm shares the same screen size + resolution. from a business standpoint to maximize profits, i get it.

I run a 8" android 1280x720 997 pcm in my 997, and i run a 7" 480px800 factory issue (identical specs to this 997 pccm+) nav screen in my 2008 rx400h daily. Both of them run the same android skin + software.

There is absolutely no comparison in crispness + quality. The larger size + higher resolution is really *that much* better. Since the 8" screen fits in the pcm space, you'd never even think it's not oem. But until I installed the 997 android pcm, i wouldn't have realized how much better it is.

I'm also being objectively more picky as it is a 2022 product with what looks to be a 2500$ ish price tag, so I figure most of us would expect screen tech at the very latest... from 7-8 years ago, but not 15 years ago.

With that said, i'm sure it is still serviceable of course, esp. since multimedia functions will be restricted so it's not like anyone will be playing videos via their 997 pccm+. it is a nice product + update, with porsche backing.

Last edited by myw; 05-06-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sporty
I am basically a tech idiot, " wireless CarPlay should be standard." - does this mean I would have to attach/ plug a cable to the unit from my Apple I Phone to play music or talk from my Apple I phone? rather than bluetoothing it? Also I don't have navigation ( I have the basic stock sound system in my 2005 C2, not Bose or anything, which to me actually sounds pretty good)
for music streaming + phone calls, i'm pretty sure bluetooth is all you need. but it will be using the porsche pcm software, not apple carplay or AA.

for apple carplay / AA, you will have to plug it in.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan1 (01-03-2023)
Old 05-06-2022, 04:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Great find!
Side note, my car's PCM, even though it is equipped with Sports Chrono, does not give me access to the individual settings option. Neither my Indy, nor my dealer can figure out why even after trying to re-initiate that option using multiple PIWIS tools. The only thing they can deduce is that maybe the PCM was replaced under warranty and that the tech may have locked that setting out accidentally. Maybe the PCCM+ will give me access to those settings. Fingers crossed.
Hats off to them for integrating the pcm / trip computer settings. i really wasn't expecting that.

I am not sure if RDS info was properly outputted by the 996 pccm+ to the guage cluster , it would be awesome if it is working on the 997 pccm+
Old 05-06-2022, 05:07 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds like a good upgrade for 997.1 cars. But for 997.2 I’d rather have the nm automotive upgrade.

No wireless airplay I’m sure can be overcame with a 3rd party adaptor.

No back up camera, poor resolution is poor decision making.

Depending on the price I’d do it for a 997.1. However with a 997.2 I’d prob look at nm automotive for $600.
The following 2 users liked this post by kellen:
myw (09-06-2022), veloaudio2 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kellen
Sounds like a good upgrade for 997.1 cars. But for 997.2 I’d rather have the nm automotive upgrade.
100% - its not worth it for 1/2" screen size update - i also dont think that the trip computer/car memory settings will work either. but i'm sure someone will try.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

in efforts to avoid double posting...

more photos + summary (of what we know) right here

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18129141
Old 09-26-2022, 04:38 AM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
you've lost ... more importantly, the individual setting menu.
What individual menu??
Old 01-01-2023, 10:24 PM
997BlueStreak
4th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 PCCM+ available in North America CONFIRMED

Got a call from the dealership and was told they unpacked their shipment and a single PCCM+ was in it. Part # 997.642.591.00

I rushed over, bought it and installed the same day. An absolute game changer. Significant quality of life enhancements. In addition to all the features listed on the side of the box (see photo) automatic headlights, temperature control and other integrations transport the 997 experience ahead more than a decade.

NOTE - they do not ship with any installation instructions. There’s a YouTube video of an installation in the UK from 2 weeks ago I used for reference here:

photographic evidence of it’s arrival in North America

The following 3 users liked this post by 997BlueStreak:
edmfperez (01-02-2023), irnnr (01-03-2023), tegraphile (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 09:21 PM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

Super excited. On a wait list with Suncoast. Wondering what their lead time is
veloaudio2 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by coaldrag413
Super excited. On a wait list with Suncoast. Wondering what their lead time is
as an fyi, people are already receiving them from their dealers. If you want it sooner you may want to check with them.
coaldrag413 (01-03-2023)

Quick Reply: PCCM+ coming in 2022 for 997 series.