Sponsored by:

2007 997.1 Carrera TIP oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021 | 09:52 AM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2007 997.1 Carrera TIP oil change

My car has 80k on it and I decided to do an ATF and filter change. I read all the articles I could, including the Pelican article.

I got a new filter and gasket and 9 quarts of the ATF. I lifted the car and followed the instructions I have read. The car has this pan:

I drained the pan using the red plug. I removed the yellow bolts (a long story) and the filter assembly. The oil is pretty dark. The filter really brown. A very thin layer of metal oily "dust" was on the magnet.

I cleaned it all up and assembled the new filter, gasket, etc. I then started filling through the blue hole. I used a pump with a smaller hose on it to fit into the blue hole.

I got about 3 quarts in when it started to run out of the hole. Following the instructions in the Pelican article I warned up the engine, turned it off, topped up again through the blue hole, and started the car again. I ran it through R, 1, and 2 a couple times. With the engine running I topped up again through the Blue hole. In total I might have gotten 5.5 - 6 quarts in. That seemed too little...

I took the car for a short test drive and it ran great and went through all the gears properly, but I some how can not help but think I am low on ATF. Everything said 9 quarts, but I did not get 9 in. One guy on another forum said he only got in 6 or so liters.

I was reading on another forum that there is a PIWIS fitting used to change / flush the ATF, It attaches to the hex cap next to the upper right yellow image in this picture. I see that in the factory manual I got on line.

So, did I miss something here? Is there another filler hole some place? How can I be sure I have enough ATF in the transmission?

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2021 | 12:30 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

I checked my Bentley service manual and it also shows a special filler device to pump through that port until fluid comes out the blue arrow hole. Is that necessary?

Old 05-07-2021 | 11:35 PM
911's
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

i did this job on my 2006 c2s tip two months ago, i used the porsche filler tool "A" to pump atf fluid using that fill port. it's not a must but makes the job easier and less messy, the most critical part in filling the correct amount of atf to the tiptronic transmission is to insure you fill within the 30 to 40 degrees celsius transmission temperature range, any more or less in temperature reading and you'll have incorrect amount of atf in the transmission. for reference, as per porsche the change capacity is 4.5 liters and total full capacity of the transmission is 9 liters of atf hence, you're able to fill in 4.5 liters. in my opinion the reason there's difference in fill amount from 4.5 to 6 or 6.5 liters is for example if the transmission was already low on atf prior to doing the job or if position of the car is not 100% level and is at a slight unseen angle when draining/filling the atf, mine took about 6.5 liters until fluid slowly started to come out the blue arrow hole.

insure car is 100% level and engine is running and you're within the 30 to 40 degrees celsius transmission temperature range "no more no less", fill until fluid slowly starts to come out the blue arrow hole.

if you've already carried out above procedure, you should be safe to go

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Checking+ATF.pdf (169.1 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by 911's; 05-08-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2021 | 07:45 AM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I think I am good to go but will run it up to temp and check the level again.

where did you get the charging hose?

it seems the charging hole is just a tube that goes up the transmission body to above the fill level. Is there a one way valve that stops the fluid from coming out and that is why it’s less messy?
Old 05-08-2021 | 10:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,801 Likes on 4,330 Posts

At 80k, check your transmission mounts too. I have a brand new set of Torque Solutions Trans Mounts that I bought by mistake and don't fit my manual transmission. If you could use them as part of your Tip trans refresh, I'll make you a deal on them.
Old 05-08-2021 | 10:09 AM
911's
Advanced

got the hose from pelican parts from here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...0&SVSVSI=16699 and yes there's a one way valve that stops the fluid from coming out
Old 05-09-2021 | 06:37 AM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. It shifts much nicer now. Seems quicker.

next time I am buying that hose!

I may need a new mount. Heard a bit of a thud when accelerating hard out of a corner. Will investigate.

Old 05-09-2021 | 08:04 AM
911's
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdsculler
Thanks all. It shifts much nicer now. Seems quicker.

next time I am buying that hose!

I may need a new mount. Heard a bit of a thud when accelerating hard out of a corner. Will investigate.
unless your transmission mount is dead, these "transmission mount inserts" http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert will without doubt help eliminate the issue you're having with the thud when accelerating, i had that exact issue with my tip and installed the transmission mount inserts the "Soft 60A Orange" and problem solved.

it's an easy diy that can be done at home

Last edited by 911's; 05-09-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 997.1 Carrera TIP oil change