Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021 | 11:44 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Cool, as long as you watch them
Old 04-18-2021 | 12:06 PM
myltz400
Instructor

I thought these cars had a lifetime fill on engine oil...
Old 04-19-2021 | 02:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug H
I have been paying about $119 for oil changes in all of my 911s for years including oil and OE filter Tire Discounters picks up from the Porsche dealership down the road.

This is the only thing I refuse to let the dealership do as I agree their oil changes prices are ridiculous. Dealership does everything else on my 911s.
Yeah....right around $120 seems to be what it comes to between 8 qts. of oil, OEM filter kit and the $25 labor. And I'm the same way. My dealership does all work on the car except oil changes because of their absurd pricing. Actual labor time for an oil change is probably 10-15 minutes. The drain is what takes time but they work on other cars during the drain.

So I really don't understand why some say they would never even consider Pep Boys, Zippy Lube, Discount Tire or whatever for an oil change. Like I said, the guy who did mine acted as if he did 911's all day long. I watched him and he went to his tool supply and came back with exactly what he needed to remove both the drain plug and the filter housing. And as I said in the opening post, he already had the torque numbers and the fill capacity so what can go wrong as long as you bring the oil you want for the refill and an OEM filter kit? It's been two days and not a drop of oil on the garage floor btw.
Old 04-19-2021 | 04:42 AM
GTSpure
Racer

1. Before changing the engine oil should be at working temperature (90 degrees oil) - and immediately after that release the drain plug and drain all the oil (as Petza914 noted above).
2. It is important to make sure that the bolts are not over-tightened (as linderpat noted above) (many garages do not use a torque handle at all). It is very important to work according to torque specifications (I use a Jake Raby Torque book and it is great! I highly recommend).
3. Overfilling with oil - can be a disaster.

** Changing oil in 997 is fun and easy and it is also an opportunity to look at the oil filter at the same time.

Regarding the claim of documents. For me, everything is documented. Remember that our Porsche is 10 years old + and there is no warranty - I would not worry about the signing of authorized Porsche garages regarding oil change.

Replacing PDK oil or other complicated operations I would of course go to a Porsche authorized garage / recommended garage that has the tools and ability to deal with problems that arise (not us).

But that’s just my two cents.
Old 06-17-2021 | 07:03 PM
DocPro
Track Day

Forget oil pan drain plugs and go with Fomoto -> no more new drain plugs, no more new replaced aluminum washers, no mess, no issues of torqued drain plugs, risk of stripping threads eliminated.
Old 06-17-2021 | 08:56 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

did you watch them put the oil you brought into the car? or did they just stick the generic oil hose in there while you were distracted?
Old 06-17-2021 | 09:09 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DocPro
Forget oil pan drain plugs and go with Fomoto -> no more new drain plugs, no more new replaced aluminum washers, no mess, no issues of torqued drain plugs, risk of stripping threads eliminated.
Do you know which Fomoto for a 997.2?
Old 06-17-2021 | 09:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DocPro
That drain plug location on a 997 becomes the lowest thing under the car. I had a Fumoto on one of mine and when installing the deep sump removed it and noticed it had impact damage on the lead edge. I gave 2 or them to Jake to use on his engine run ins and oil changes. If something snaps that off 9n the highway, like a tire gator, you'll lose all oil pressure in about 10 seconds.

I would not use one or these on a 997 and they also leave about 1" of oil in the sump.

In a 928 where the plug orientation is lateral, it's a different story.
The following users liked this post:
KLS (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021 | 02:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
did you watch them put the oil you brought into the car? or did they just stick the generic oil hose in there while you were distracted?
Sure did. Lucked out and my car was right outside the waiting area with large windows into the shop. They even gave me about 1/3 quart back since they didn't want to overfill. Very comfortable and confident with how they handled it. Nothing like....."wow, what do we do with this"? Watching the whole thing from first row it was clear my 997 was not the first one they had done which they confirmed. I guess enough 997 owners are getting fed up with the dealership's $300 oil changes.
Old 06-18-2021 | 07:02 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I turn my oil change requirement into a fun excuse to get together with another Porsche buddy or buddies each time by either going to a friend’s house or having them come over to shoot the breeze while we work on our cars. More fun than having to watch over a tech to make sure they’re doing the oil change right on my car. With the RaceRamp wheel cradles, it’s a piece of cake too. I go to the dealer for most everything else though. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you going to a Jiffy Lube place though as long as you’ve found a place that does it right. The oil change on our cars are so easy.

The following users liked this post:
JVinPortland (06-19-2021)
Old 06-18-2021 | 05:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Had my oil changed today at Zippy Lube.
Well, they do have the correct wrench.

Old 06-18-2021 | 06:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Old 06-18-2021 | 06:11 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
That drain plug location on a 997 becomes the lowest thing under the car. I had a Fumoto on one of mine and when installing the deep sump removed it and noticed it had impact damage on the lead edge. I gave 2 or them to Jake to use on his engine run ins and oil changes. If something snaps that off 9n the highway, like a tire gator, you'll lose all oil pressure in about 10 seconds.

I would not use one or these on a 997 and they also leave about 1" of oil in the sump.

In a 928 where the plug orientation is lateral, it's a different story.
I agree with this. Terrible idea on a 997. Now on the cayenne, it's a dream.

Cw
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:21 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

There's no sense replacing the drain plug. I've been using the same one and washer since I bought it in 2016. I noticed that Rock Auto had a bag of replacement washers for a few cents a piece, so I broke down and bought it. That should last the rest of my life.

Quick Reply: Looking for some nasty feedback