Sponsored by:

Bent Front Strut Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 12:32 AM
TopDown_ca
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bent Front Strut Mounts?

On my 997.1 C2S I'm chasing the "spring pop" issue that folks experience with the Bilstein B16 'Damptronic' shocks. At low speed when turning the springs bind while rotating. With more steering input the spring will then release which creates the 'sproing' sound.

Taking apart the suspension with the intention of installing needle bearings I believe I discovered a more serious issue - I suspect the top strut mount is bent which is the cause of the binding.

Should the top of the strut mount be flat? As this one is not...

As a result the spring shim / bearing don't sit flat relative to the bushing/shock. The aluminum spacer doesn't sit on the bearing but binds on the edge of the shim.

Just looking for confirmation that I should declare the strut mount bent and get a new one...

Thanks!

Checking strut for flat

Strut bearing doesn't sit flat as compared with bushing

Aluminum Spacer Damage

Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 AM
atihun
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

The bearing was installed with this setup correct?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Yes, something there doesn't look right either from a wear or assembly perspective. If replacing the front top mounts maybe upgrade to the Tarett monoballs instead of using the OEM ones again.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:29 AM
TopDown_ca
AutoX

Originally Posted by atihun
The bearing was installed with this setup correct?
Yes, the bearing was installed in the setup. The concern is the angle between the bushing and the bearing - which causes the aluminum spring top to to bind...

Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 AM
TopDown_ca
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, something there doesn't look right either from a wear or assembly perspective. If replacing the front top mounts maybe upgrade to the Tarett monoballs instead of using the OEM ones again.
Indeed - it doesn't look right!

I had looked at the Tarett monoballs. My concern is that for the 997 you can only run them in the high camber setting. The car is new to me, so I was planning to run with a less aggressive set-up to get to know it's characteristics before I start to tweak.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:18 PM
atihun
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Pelican has them available for cheap. I never had a binding issue with mine. I did have the rubber separate / break though. With the B16 damptronics there's a lot more force transferred to the upper mount.

If you decide solid/monoball, you might want to look at the Elephant Racing ones, they are very well designed and allow for better fitment.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by TopDown_ca
Indeed - it doesn't look right!

I had looked at the Tarett monoballs. My concern is that for the 997 you can only run them in the high camber setting. The car is new to me, so I was planning to run with a less aggressive set-up to get to know it's characteristics before I start to tweak.
I believe they've redesigned them and they now fit and can be used in either setting. I have B16 Damptronics and are using them in the lower camber piston (had to trim them) running stock GT3 alignment settings.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 PM
TopDown_ca
AutoX

I decided to replace the strut mounts with stock - they were readily available locally rather than a cross-border shipping adventure.

Comparing old with new - the old were clearly very deformed. On the new mounts the bearings sat flat with no binding on th​​​​​e aluminum ring.

Continuing on with my plan - I installed needle bearings between the main spring and the aluminum spacer to cure the terrible low speed pinging.

The difference when back on the road was phenomenal - not only was the spring noise at low speed gone - the steering feel was greatly improved. The new mounts made a world of different.

New mounts - nice and flat!

With bearings

Needle bearing

Quick Reply: Bent Front Strut Mounts?