Sponsored by:

997 Price Increase Reasons Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:31 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 911grizzly
Zack gets some things right, but he perpetuates the myth of unreliability of 997.1, demonstrating his lack of in-depth knowledge of the marque.
Did we watch the same video?

I didn’t feel that way at all.

As someone who has owned an original IMS bearing 1999 911 and spent 4-5 months searching for the right 997 (.1 and .2), he mentioned what is on most people’s mind when searching for a 997.

Even though I was open to a .1, I ended up getting a great deal on a 997.2. A deal that was made sweeter because of the known perks of the .2.

He just stated that the IMS and Bore Scoring are concerns in .1, which is a factual statement.

It’s rare but if it happens to you it either can negatively impact someone’s savings OR in the least sting a bit.

For some people, it matters more than others.

His synopsis was absolutely correct in that the 997.2 seems to be free of the potential of expensive gotchas and due to its low numbers in manual form, should do well going forward.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:23 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Well, first of all he opens the video by telling us straight up that a used car dealer told him he should review a 997.2, and he said "why?" So here is a guy who admits that he doesn't understand the 911 and specifically 997.2 product, but yet he is going to create a video telling us about it. Reminds me of a time when I was selling a new Ford Aerostar to the automotive column writer for a major northeast newspaper, who told me straight up he had no specific knowledge about automobiles, but he knew how to write.

Next, he acts like the Black Edition was some very special model, and we all know it was simply one of many marketing packages offered by Porsche. They are nice, but not worth any more than any other non-Black Edition. Then he states that the previous 997, in his exact words, "...had an engine that was prone to failure..." "...had a big bearing in the back that would let loose...and basically grenade... so those are not desirable..." Really? That is outright inaccurate at best, and clearly demonstrates that this guy does not know 911s and is simply restating what he heard somewhere. Anyone is a regular reader of this forum knows that the 997.1 is in fact desirable, and that there were more than one version of the IMS bearing. In any case, they were not "prone to failure". It could happen, and did in a small percentage which is inexcusable on Porsches part, but it is a relatively small problem, and most definitely NOT a normal occurrence as he suggests in his video. I put over 100,000 miles on my 2003 996 and never had any problems with the IMS bearing or scoring.

Next, he says that in 2009 for the 997.2 "...they made technical changes to the engine, the most important was adding Direct Fuel Injection..." This is outright FALSE. For 2009, Porsche replaced the M97 engine (and previous M96) with the ALL NEW, completely different 9A1 engine, which is the basis for not only the 997.2 engine but also the 991. He clearly has no idea, which is why I stated he is in fact, clueless. He is.

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 02-16-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:32 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
I have a feeling he was just drinking some Haterade when he commented.

While bland and middle of the road as far as knowledge the video was pretty concise and full of the obvious reasons. Motormouth normally does an ok job.

Meanwhile the person above made a YouTube video double in length to answer if you can “daily drive” a GTS. Spoiler, the obvious answer is.... yes.
No ATX_Native, I do not drink "Hateraid" as you suggest. I replied to Skwerl, above, and copied it below since you referenced it in your comments. The guy who made that 6 minute video was clearly clueless about 911s. And to respond to your making fun of the title of my video, I'll share 2 things with you. First of all, you would be surprised how many non-forum readers actually ask me if a Porsche 911 can be a daily driver. Second, if you know anything about how YouTube works, we have to create titles that get people to click, (have you ever read the crazy click-bait titles of most YouTubers????) and that reflect what viewers type in search boxes. So yes, while you and me, and pretty much most people on this forum in fact know that the 911 can be a daily driver, many if not most regular people out there do not. Below is my original response to Skwerl. Have a great week, and stay warm!

Well, first of all he opens the video by telling us straight up that a used car dealer told him he should review a 997.2, and he said "why?" So here is a guy who admits that he doesn't understand the 911 and specifically 997.2 product, but yet he is going to create a video telling us about it. Reminds me of a time when I was selling a new Ford Aerostar to the automotive column writer for a major northeast newspaper, who told me straight up he had no specific knowledge about automobiles, but he knew how to write.

Next, he acts like the Black Edition was some very special model, and we all know it was simply one of many marketing packages offered by Porsche. They are nice, but not worth any more than any other non-Black Edition. Then he states that the previous 997, in his exact words, "...had an engine that was prone to failure..." "...had a big bearing in the back that would let loose...and basically grenade... so those are not desirable..." Really? That is outright inaccurate at best, and clearly demonstrates that this guy does not know 911s and is simply restating what he heard somewhere. Anyone is a regular reader of this forum knows that the 997.1 is in fact desirable, and that there were more than one version of the IMS bearing. In any case, they were not "prone to failure". It could happen, and did in a small percentage which is inexcusable on Porsches part, but it is a relatively small problem, and most definitely NOT a normal occurrence as he suggests in his video. I put over 100,000 miles on my 2003 996 and never had any problems with the IMS bearing or scoring.

Next, he says that in 2009 for the 997.2 "...they made technical changes to the engine, the most important was adding Direct Fuel Injection..." This is outright FALSE. For 2009, Porsche replaced the M97 engine (and previous M96) with the ALL NEW, completely different 9A1 engine, which is the basis for not only the 997.2 engine but also the 991. He clearly has no idea, which is why I stated that he is, in fact, clueless. He is.

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 02-16-2021 at 11:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AxelR (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:04 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

As an owner of a 997.2 and 991.1 - I thought he was accurate on the feel in terms of size of the 997 compared to the 991. The 997 drives and feels a lot smaller inside, it also has more torque down low, which does make it feel a bit faster to me.

i searched 997.2 Coupes with MT, on Autotrader and Cars.com they are scarce and expensive.

Beyond the engine, which for me was a major decision to pay more, the 997.2 has other features that some buyers prefer, like interior updates, and LED lights - which again caused me to pony up when I bought it several years ago. He does not really go into those..... but I think from a birdseye view - he is right as to the value of MT Coupes.

The 997.2 has been extremely reliable. 1 o2 sensor in 100k miles of spirited driving, and oil changes. That's it.

Last edited by jimwood; 02-16-2021 at 09:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimwood:
ATX_Native (02-20-2021), boris_gti (02-16-2021), Hootsama (02-16-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:03 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Very interesting video I ran across earlier today.
Thanks, I'll it to the following list...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-reviews.html

Karl.

Quick Reply: 997 Price Increase Reasons Video