Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member here...looking at 2008 911 Turbo Cabrio.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Member here...looking at 2008 911 Turbo Cabrio.

POSSIBLE first time Porsche buyer here, just started looking, interested in a 2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet. I drove one today finally, low mile 2008, 26k, loved the car. Price was too high though, $84,000, looking to spend 50-60k, found a few within a couple hours in that range. One I am particularly intersted in is a 2008 with 68k miles, asking price is around $58,000 at regular new/used car dealership, not one that solely is used cars. It is a couple hour drive for me though, so would really have to be interested to take the trip. I am going to search the forum more now, just joined, but mainly interested in what I should look for with regards to red flags, and thoughts on aftermarket extended warranties. I have always loved the 911's, but just really worry about buying an older car that may turn into a money pit if things go wrong. This would not be a daily driver, I think I am going to keep my 2016 Audi S6 as my daily, but I have always loved the 911 since I was 10 years old (45 now) and the time is right to make a move and finally get a car that I have always loved. Great to join the forum, I think I have a lot to read up on, but looking forward to it!

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

At that price it probably has automatic transmission, which is the older 5 speed torque converter in 2008. It's not an exciting transmission, but it is durable and reliable. An extended warranty on a 13 year old Porsche with 68k miles would be incredibly expensive ($15k+) if you could get one at all. The only major issue with this model is to make sure the coolant pipes have been pinned. But, it is 13 years old, so things are going to have to be replaced and they will be expensive. I would be more inclined to buy a newer base Carrera or Carrera S, with less mileage and less potential for things to break, if I was working on a specific budget. But, you might find better info in the 997 turbo forum.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:58 PM
BKirk
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

I second the comment about warranties. If you can find one from a reputable company (highly unlikely) the cost will be north of $10k. You’re better off paying yourself a set amount every month for a repair fund if something happens. Also agree on the transmission issue - I have a pdk which is great and not sure I’d go with a car with the tiptronic transmission. Big difference between the two performance wise.

But rennlist is the place to be for information so welcome.
The following users liked this post:
S6_Trader (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:08 AM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Balr14
At that price it probably has automatic transmission, which is the older 5 speed torque converter in 2008. It's not an exciting transmission, but it is durable and reliable. An extended warranty on a 13 year old Porsche with 68k miles would be incredibly expensive ($15k+) if you could get one at all. The only major issue with this model is to make sure the coolant pipes have been pinned. But, it is 13 years old, so things are going to have to be replaced and they will be expensive. I would be more inclined to buy a newer base Carrera or Carrera S, with less mileage and less potential for things to break, if I was working on a specific budget. But, you might find better info in the 997 turbo forum.
Thanks for the advice. Just starting the process, definitely going to take a look at some other 911 models in that price range. if the warranty was that expensive, no way would I get it, but was just wondering if others who may have recently purchased a similar car got a warranty, and through what company. Appreciate the help though.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:39 AM
BKirk
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Do a search here on warranties and you’ll find a lot of discussion. I did a fair amount of research both on this site and online generally and the first issue is finding a reputable company who will offer terms for a car that old then at what price.

I bought a 2009 C2S with 80,000 miles - and feel okay about handling whatever comes my way. The engines in these cars are pretty bulletproof and the 997.2 solved the major issues with the 997.1. I was focused on a 997.2 in my search and in the end found pretty much exactly what I was looking for at a great price.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:41 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S6_Trader
Thanks for the advice. Just starting the process, definitely going to take a look at some other 911 models in that price range. if the warranty was that expensive, no way would I get it, but was just wondering if others who may have recently purchased a similar car got a warranty, and through what company. Appreciate the help though.
Fidelity is the preferred extended warranty provider and that is who I had in mind with my earlier remark. There are lots of warranty scams and lots of companies that will write you a policy, but it may be very difficult to actually get a claim settled.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,599 Likes on 4,196 Posts

I don't like the Tiptronic transmission in sports cars - heck I don't even particularly like it in my Cayenne. 911 turbos with 6-speeds that you'd actually want to own are well North of your budget number now and I think what you'll find in that price range are only Tiptronic equipped car with some deferred maintence. Trying to find a low-cost 997 these days usually ends up being exactly the opposite once it's brought up to snuff (coolant tank replacement, brake condition, etc) and service on a turbo is more expensive because there's more stuff in the way that has to be removed and reinstalled (spark plug and coil pack renewal as an example).

In that price range you're in the good 996 Turbo neighborhood if you can get past the headlights, straighter body, and interior materials and design, or in 997.2 Carreras (non-Turbo) with PDK transmission, which is a much better sports car transmission than the Tiptronic, and can probably find an S if you're constantly looking and ready to move when you do. PDK cabs are lower priced than manuals and/or coupes, which works to your advantage if that's what you're looking for.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:37 PM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

POSSIBLE first time Porsche buyer here, just started looking, interested in a 2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet. I drove one today finally, low mile 2008, 26k, loved the car. Price was too high though, $84,000, looking to spend 50-60k, found a few within a couple hours in that range. One I am particularly intersted in is a 2008 with 68k miles, asking price is around $58,000 at regular new/used car dealership, not one that solely is used cars. It is a couple hour drive for me though, so would really have to be interested to take the trip. I am going to search the forum more now, just joined, but mainly interested in what I should look for with regards to red flags, and thoughts on aftermarket extended warranties. I have always loved the 911's, but just really worry about buying an older car that may turn into a money pit if things go wrong. This would not be a daily driver, I think I am going to keep my 2016 Audi S6 as my daily, but I have always loved the 911 since I was 10 years old (45 now) and the time is right to make a move and finally get a car that I have always loved. Great to join the forum, I think I have a lot to read up on, but looking forward to it!

Thanks!
It took me 2 years to find my childhood dream car, 08 TT Cab. Take your time, find the right one that checks all your boxes and good luck. In my opinion, $60k budget is going to be a bit light for “the right one”.

Here’s a quick pic of my baby

The following 5 users liked this post by bschurr:
atallguy (02-01-2021), Hootsama (02-01-2021), Ironman88 (02-01-2021), S6_Trader (01-31-2021), TommyV44 (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:55 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 361 Posts

What Petza said above is spot on. As well as some of the other advice given here.. Also, the only warranty I would consider (and I have 2 different policies for my 911 & Cayman) is a Fidelity, and I don't think you can get one now on a 2008 model.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:13 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

What kinda pisses me off now is the 2008 I went to look at, which was at a local Porsche dealership was stated to include a 2 year full CPO warranty... the email I got back from the sales manager said "Thank you for your interest in our 2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet. It is still available. Our asking price is $84,991 and that includes Porsche's 2 Year/Unlimited Mile CPO Warranty."

The price is too high, but if it really did include the full 2 year CPO warranty I could understand the price a little better at least. That was the car I went in to drive this weekend, and they told me the car was 1 month too old to be CPO'd, but they THOUGHT it would qualify. The ad on the site calls it "Certified Pre Owned" and that is what the sales manager told me. I could at least understand the higher price if it actually was CPO with a full warranty as you all have been telling me how much they cost, but when I told them I think the car would be worth in the 71-75 range without the CPO based on comps I found, they said the lowest they would go is $84,000.

Was not too happy about them calling it a CPO, emailing me saying it was a CPO, then saying they were wrong when I went to check it out.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

What kinda pisses me off now is the 2008 I went to look at, which was at a local Porsche dealership was stated to include a 2 year full CPO warranty... the email I got back from the sales manager said "Thank you for your interest in our 2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet. It is still available. Our asking price is $84,991 and that includes Porsche's 2 Year/Unlimited Mile CPO Warranty."

The price is too high, but if it really did include the full 2 year CPO warranty I could understand the price a little better at least. That was the car I went in to drive this weekend, and they told me the car was 1 month too old to be CPO'd, but they THOUGHT it would qualify. The ad on the site calls it "Certified Pre Owned" and that is what the sales manager told me. I could at least understand the higher price if it actually was CPO with a full warranty as you all have been telling me how much they cost, but when I told them I think the car would be worth in the 71-75 range without the CPO based on comps I found, they said the lowest they would go is $84,000.

Was not too happy about them calling it a CPO, emailing me saying it was a CPO, then saying they were wrong when I went to check it out.
Could this be the car (and associated dealer) that you're referencing?

If so, that dealership has been commented about (and not in a positive way) in the past in this forum...

https://www.porschewarrington.com/ce...488680955e.htm

Old 01-31-2021, 08:17 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

I will just say that car looks very familiar.

Originally Posted by Ironman88

If so, that dealership has been commented about (and not in a positive way) in the past in this forum...

Old 01-31-2021, 09:24 PM
Biersmith
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88

±1 on the above quote based on my personal experience dealing with Sr. Mgt.....
Old 01-31-2021, 11:57 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

$85K for a tiptronic cab???
Old 02-01-2021, 12:08 AM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Balr14
$85K for a tiptronic cab???
Yep. Definitely high, but 26k miles and i THOUGHT it had a 2 year CPO warranty. Was at least worth checking it out, and I got to drive it at least so I know how it feels when I keep looking. I did find one I really liked, higher miles though and in a different state, but $25k less asking price to start.

Quick Reply: New Member here...looking at 2008 911 Turbo Cabrio.