Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member here...looking at 2008 911 Turbo Cabrio.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 12:21 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Heading down to check one out later this week. 2008 Cab, Blue/Tan, 68k miles. New brakes/rotors, said they did an engine out coolant service this month too. Asking $58,000. Car is beautiful, perfect color combo too as I have owned 2 blue cars in the past and loved the combo......too bad weather is awful now to take a road trip.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:47 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Just to repeat, the coolant pipes are a known issue on that engine. They should be pinned so they don't come off and it is an expensive procedure. You should verify this has been done or get a significant discount. I don't know the exact cost, but it is in the thousands.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Here is what they sent me about the Coolant service.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:47 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 361 Posts

Based on what's written and on the parts list, they just dropped the engine & removed the oil cooler bracket and associated O-rings & hoses, and unfortunately just put the same factory plastic elbows back in (new ones, of course). Parts # 2,3 & 4 in the diagram.
Pretty much the standard when fixing these is to replace the plastic factory ones with the stainless SharkWerks elbows that won't ever "break" like the stock ones.. So you really haven't "prevented" this same repair from being needed in the future.

Of course, the upgraded elbows aren't cheap ($500 vs $45 for the stock ones) so it all depends on if this is a "keeper" car or one you plan to trade in soon..

They also replaced the turbo coolant pump, which is not necessarily a common failure but sometimes the hose connections come loose and leak (this was the "failure" scenario that I had - and I decided to just go all-in and fix it all while I had the engine out.)

The following users liked this post:
S6_Trader (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Turbo18
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Good luck with the potential purchase. Sounds like you are on the right track. I bought a speed yellow 08 TT cab this past Oct and just love it - very similar to you (not daily driver, dream car, etc). Also got the tip which I have come to learn is the Rodney Dangerfield of transmissions, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and the car is great fun.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:37 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbo18
Good luck with the potential purchase. Sounds like you are on the right track. I bought a speed yellow 08 TT cab this past Oct and just love it - very similar to you (not daily driver, dream car, etc). Also got the tip which I have come to learn is the Rodney Dangerfield of transmissions, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and the car is great fun.
Nice color....Did you get any aftermarket warranty, or just go for it without? I LOVE the blue/tan combo, perfect for me too. Just wondering how many miles were on yours when purchased, and any issues? I would love a stick shift, but unfortunately I can no longer drive one due to physical issues, so I gotta go auto!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Turbo18
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by S6_Trader
Nice color....Did you get any aftermarket warranty, or just go for it without? I LOVE the blue/tan combo, perfect for me too. Just wondering how many miles were on yours when purchased, and any issues? I would love a stick shift, but unfortunately I can no longer drive one due to physical issues, so I gotta go auto!
I did not get an aftermarket warranty. It has 17k miles with one prior owner, and I had all the usual things done (PPI, DME report, etc) so I was comfortable the risk was manageable. The only thing as a newbie Porsche owner was that I didn't realize all the mods the prior owner installed as they weren't listed by the dealer or picked up by the PPI - which in hindsight is pretty crazy. It's amazing that some sellers know nothing about their cars if they move a lot of product, so next time I buy one will dig deeper than I did this go-round. Wasn't upset to find out it came with a tubi exhaust, upgraded intercoolers and GIAC tuning, but that was pure luck and could have swung the other direction on me w/ lots of unpleasant surprises.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:24 PM
S6_Trader
Intermediate

Quick update, I drove the car today, drove to Bethesda to check it out, drove very well, but the inside was really bad. Price was less than the first one, nearly $15k cheaper (Asking was 58,800) but it just looked bad inside. Yes, the car is 13 years old, but I have seen 13 year old cars that look amazing inside, barely worn. The first one I saw for the $84k (77k now) was perfect inside besides a little wear on the radio dials. This one had scuffs all over, the seats felt dried out, the silver trim around many of the vents was peeling off, just looked like it was not well cared for. Yes, it was cheaper, and it is 13 years old, but I still want a car I will get into and really love, not one I can see all the damage and not be happy. There was also a nasty metallic rattle from under the steering wheel area somewhere, dealer said "It's winter time and a convertible, they make noise...." but it was not coming from the roof, and it was not a basic creak. Also, he raised and lowered the roof, and the quarter window on the passenger side kept bouncing back open, had to close the roof 4 times before it worked. Fog lights were hazy with water in them too. Front brakes were new which was nice, but the rears I can tell were getting old. Rotor was lipped and the pads looked nearly done with. All in all, I did not get a good feeling, and was not a car that I would be mad at myself next week if someone else bought it. The search continues!!

For reference, he is the car I was looking at: https://www.eurobethesdamercedes.com...1790ecf52e.htm
Old 02-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

From your post on this thread dated Feb 1st - and your description of the car (the blue '08 Turbo), I found the car online then and saw the photos of it.

I knew then it was in really rough shape (especially with the interior) - as you've said. I was hoping that it would not be the car you would end up buying.

Good luck with the process going forward.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
S6_Trader (02-04-2021), TommyV44 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:22 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Too much for 08 tip cab. I would look for 2009 or newer. The deals are out there. I just bought a 2009 6spd turbo cab a few months ago so I know the turbo vetting process well. PM if you want to discuss further, more than happy to share everything I picked up in the process.
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (02-06-2021)

Quick Reply: New Member here...looking at 2008 911 Turbo Cabrio.