Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Cars For Sale On The Web

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 10:45 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

2012 Carrera 4GTS cab w/ PDK 33k miles according to the wonderfully worded ad the condition is "awsome" $79k C4GTS

How much of a premium is a manual transmission worth? Opinions?
Old 04-17-2021, 10:57 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 547 Posts

That's a very good question and I would like to know as well. That 6 speed Cab at Ryan Frediman was listed at $99 and sold pretty quickly. It had 10k miles but a meh spec. I'm at 19k miles but a 6 sp with a great spec. I'm wondering for insurance purposes.

Seems low miles are preferable to spec but by how much? Spec still counts for something unless you're a dealer trying to take it on trade-in where they low ball you. Then they market those same specs as a unicorn and ask a premium.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 AM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
2012 Carrera 4GTS cab w/ PDK 33k miles according to the wonderfully worded ad the condition is "awsome" $79k C4GTS

How much of a premium is a manual transmission worth? Opinions?
In retrospect the price premium I would have paid is hard to put a finger on. Here's why:

When I bought my car the idea of a PDK didn't come into the equation. (No disrespect to the PDK) It wouldn't have mattered what the price difference was. I was not going to buy a PDK. If I was priced out of the GTS MT market so be it and I would have found a C4S or CS MT.

My point is that for some people they are 2 different animals and we don't comparison shop the transmission options.

If the purchase price is within our comfort zone we buy it. As we have seen, there are people who will pay up to 130K for a low mileage example MT. Has there been a PDK car that has broken 80k in the last 6 months?

Last edited by Quixotic1; 04-17-2021 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MissileFlyer (04-25-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 04:37 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Damn! I hope he gets $109k for this 4GTS MT Cab with 6.5k! I think I'd have had it detailed first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19404524333...8105&customid=
Old 04-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Quixotic1
Damn! I hope he gets $109k for this 4GTS MT Cab with 6.5k! I think I'd have had it detailed first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19404524333...8105&customid=
Ditto - CL's are all scratched up, center console lid scratched up, dirty storage bin next to the seat, dirty carpets and seats. Also, that door panel looks dirty (sun-tan lotion?). That bolster wear seems a bit much for 6.5k.

Here's a 6MT cab C4GTS in Canada:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/..._15_42&sprx=-1

Last edited by Lemarp; 04-18-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemarp
Ditto - CL's are all scratched up, center console lid scratched up, dirty storage bin next to the seat, dirty carpets and seats. Also, that door panel looks dirty (sun-tan lotion?). That bolster wear seems a bit much for 6.5k.

That looks like it could be a deal if the price is in Canadian dollars. It's not too far from the Vermont border.

Somebody ought to take a hard look at it.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 PM
GP88
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemarp

I was going to pick this one up. I called last week and unfortunately its sold already. Dealer said it only lasted 3 days.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Some people have daily drivers for long, crappy commutes and not a lot of spare time for toys, and could have several toys to choose from. It doesn't make them any more or less of a Porsche enthusiast. If somebody has a beautiful machine that brings them joy then party on. The next owner will be happy as hell to find a beautiful example. I personally would not put miles on my 997's to go to L.A. every day if I had to. What a waste.

I bought a highly modified Ducati Panigale Tricolore a few years ago and rarely ride it. Even has carbon fiber wheels. I broke my left leg's spinal tibia (sp?) years ago and that riding position is painful. I have other bikes. I'll probably sell it this year, but truth is I look at it as mechanical art too and it brings me joy.

Yo, Kevin.

Interested in your opinion regarding the merits of a 997 GTS/ 991 GTS/ 997 GT3/ Duc sport bike on the awesome roads in the San Gabriel Mountains above you. I frequently drive So Cal's best routes in my 6MT 997 GTS Coupe: The entire ACH area, Malibu Canyons, the Southern Sierra Nevada area east of Visalia, Hwy 33 north of Ojai to Maricopa and the PCH north of San Simeon.

1.Since you get up into the twisties on all of those rides, in real road conditions, frequently...what are your impressions on the four vehicles you own?
2. How do they stack up and reward or punish you on those real roads?
3. Do the current prices of the 997 GTS reflect its capability to better exploit those roads?

Thanks in advance for clarifying, specifically whether the 997 GTS occupies a sweet spot in that line up. If not, I am all ears and willing to upgrade my ride towards what may be an even better experience on those roads- will even consider a Duc. (I had a '72 Norton 850 Commando back in college daze...and the memories of riding it in the mountains are oh, so sweet.)

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 04-19-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Yo, Kevin.

Interested in your opinion regarding the merits of a 997 GTS/ 991 GTS/ 997 GT3/ Duc sport bike on the awesome roads in the San Gabriel Mountains above you. I frequently drive So Cal's best routes in my 6MT 997 GTS Coupe: The entire ACH area, Malibu Canyons, the Southern Sierra Nevada area east of Visalia, Hwy 33 north of Ojai to Maricopa and the PCH north of San Simeon.

1.Since you get up into the twisties on all of those rides, in real road conditions, frequently...what are your impressions on the four vehicles you own?
2. How do they stack up and reward or punish you on those real roads?
3. Do the current prices of the 997 GTS reflect its capability to better exploit those roads?

Thanks in advance for clarifying, specifically whether the 997 GTS occupies a sweet spot in that line up. If not, I am all ears and willing to upgrade my ride towards what may be an even better experience on those roads- will even consider a Duc. (I had a '72 Norton 850 Commando back in college daze...and the memories of riding it in the mountains are oh, so sweet.)
The Panigale will probably go bye-bye this summer. I've broken both wrists and one knee doing dumb things in my younger days, and now at 63 arthritis is creeping in a little. My fav bike is my Ducati Hyperstrada 939 which is a Hypermotard with small bags. The most amazing all-rounder bike I've ever owned. Bikes are bikes but I only ride when my mental acuity is 110%. So risky with knuckleheads hauling *** around you.

As mentioned I'm doing a video comparing the GTS and GT3 and I'll let you know when it's done. We're working on it in between other videos at work.

To your question, the GT3 powerband is more fun, and the wail of the engine is amazing. I think this torque difference may be due to Variocam for both inlet and exhaust, along with aluminum piston and titanium connecting rods. The clutch is not as stiff as people claim but very apparent if you drive them side by side. The GT3 transmission is super-fun because it is so notchy. The GT3 suspension is not as stiff as you might expect, and the turn-in feels better with less understeer.

But the GTS wide body feels amazing. I'm not sure how to put my finger on it exactly, but I can see why the GT3RS costs so much money. The wider track feels flat-out right and the way the car should be. So I think that while people often talk about the GTS being a more civil GT3 it should be considered a more civil GT3RS. The wide-body 997 is the way to go, and there's only two ways to buy them naturally aspirated and rear-wheel drive manual: GT3RS and GTS. (Edit: Also the mega-rare Sport Classic)

And the nose of a GT3 is very low. At intersections, you often have to slow down and even come at them from an angle. The GTS doesn't have that issue. Just drive.

Any of these cars are enough power for me and most people. The GTS performance specs are pretty close to the GT3RS, though any GT3 is a driving event. But then I have to think of this: I traded in my "lowly" 997.1 C4S 6 speed cabriolet for a 991.1 GTS PDK, and immediately realized how much fun driving a manual 997 is. I should say ANY 997. Had I just stayed with my 997.1, it would continue to satisfy.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 04-19-2021 at 01:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
8KaboveMSL (04-25-2021), Liste-Renn (04-19-2021), maekwl (04-19-2021), MissileFlyer (04-25-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:50 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 625 Posts

Thanks for your detailed response. I will keep an eye out for your video.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Here is a fresh one for sale. 2012 MT Coupe 21k miles 115k

https://www.pmcdetroit.com/details-2...2cs720416.html

MissileFlyer (04-25-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:41 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

My 2012 GTS pdk cabriolet is going up for sale in about a week. Still has 1 1/2 years of Fidelity Platinum warranty, just put new tires on it and all services including pdk service by Porsche dealership. It was covered by CPO until around October of 2020 and has been under a Fidelity Platinum since. The only issue is a TPM for front right that works about 50% of the time and could care less about so I never fixed.

It is nicely optioned, has a really nice aftermarket stereo system with back up camera, amp and speakers. Sounds much, much better than OE. Window tint, upgraded floor mats and I added a 2012 997.2 factory speedster front lip which looks much better than GTS front lip.

Moving to Bali next month and my wife and I are selling all of our cars except my Perfomante and her Gallardo spyder.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,628 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
My 2012 GTS pdk cabriolet is going up for sale in about a week. Still has 1 1/2 years of Fidelity Platinum warranty, just put new tires on it and all services including pdk service by Porsche dealership. It was covered by CPO until around October of 2020 and has been under a Fidelity Platinum since. The only issue is a TPM for front right that works about 50% of the time and could care less about so I never fixed.

It is nicely optioned, has a really nice aftermarket stereo system with back up camera, amp and speakers. Sounds much, much better than OE. Window tint, upgraded floor mats and I added a 2012 997.2 factory speedster front lip which looks much better than GTS front lip.

Moving to Bali next month and my wife and I are selling all of our cars except my Perfomante and her Gallardo spyder.
Wow, I thought you were kidding about the Bali thing in a previous post. Are you retiring and giving up the band management stuff? Good luck to you.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:43 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wow, I thought you were kidding about the Bali thing in a previous post. Are you retiring and giving up the band management stuff? Good luck to you.
We purchased a hotel (Canguu) and a villa (Jimbaran) there. Take possession of our villa to live in on May 15, but my 9 year old does not get out of school until May 25. I have not worked a real job or as a lawyer in an office in a couple of years. I can handle everything I do remotely, but I am pretty much done with anything and everything in the US except 6 short term rental properties.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,628 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
We purchased a hotel (Canguu) and a villa (Jimbaran) there. Take possession of our villa to live in on May 15, but my 9 year old does not get out of school until May 25. I have not worked a real job or as a lawyer in an office in a couple of years. I can handle everything I do remotely, but I am pretty much done with anything and everything in the US except 6 short term rental properties.
Good for you! I assume you're as pleased with the way things are going in the country as I am since the new regime has taken office....

What's the Rennlist hotel rate?
titans99 (04-29-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS Cars For Sale On The Web