Sponsored by:

Buy beware of WP0AB29996S743765

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 10:14 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
You guys are nuts! That is market for an average condition 997.1 C2S in stock form. If I were the seller I wouldn’t be interested in anyone looking for a stock car given the supercharger and seat. Those two things alone take a special buyer who wants those things and will pay, anyone else shouldn’t even be looking. The seats and supercharger make that a mid-40s car. Given the issues noted the asking price is fair price if not a good price if you want a supercharged 997.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Sellers are allowed to puff a little, and I didn't see anything in the ad that would make me think this is a misrepresented car based on what the ppi found. The only real issues I see are the dash lights and of course the transmission. Those things would be obvious from an in person view and drive, which for any 15/16 year old high performance and modded sports car, you'd be nuts not to do. So no surprises if you go look at it. Does it have a washed title? Was it an undisclosed flood car? Those are the kind of things that really hurt and smack of a fraudulent seller, not someone saying their car is good. This thread might be a little harsh.
The following users liked this post:
professorman (02-28-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:01 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Appreciate the OP's intent but I have to agree with linderpat and bgoetz, seems like this post is a little too much. Putting someone's VIN in the title of a post is a pretty big deal as it will pop up in google searches and really should be reserved for outright fraud IMO. The PSM and ABS warnings will be apparent to anyone who checks out the car and the seller doesn't claim it's in perfect shape. He does say "everything works" which I guess could be misleading if there really is an issue with them but people say that all the time. As to the transmission, who knows if it has a real issue or not. Porsche dealerships say things need to be replaced all the time that really don't so that is hardly definitive. If it's really grinding that will be obvious to anyone who test drives it.

Someone buying the car sight unseen without a PPI may get burned but that's a pretty foolish thing to be doing in the first place. Caveat emptor as they say. Not saying it's a good car or even a fair deal, but that it doesn't seem like fraud. We are all ridiculous perfectionists but most of the world isn't like us. If you think this ad is misleading try checking out the personal ads, this one will seem downright honest in comparison.

Last edited by PV997; 12-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
professorman (02-28-2021), Robocop305 (02-21-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

The wheels are awful so the fact that one is bent is not a big deal as they would need to be changed anyway. It's a 14 year old car so some wear and tear, like a scratch in the carbon seat or similar is kind of to be expected. A fiberglas rear bumper doesn't bother me at all as long as the fitment is good, and this one looks decent and is a nicer design than the stock plain bumper. My wife's 997 has fiberglas Vorsteiner bumpers on it and my Cayenne has Misha ones - they're actually stronger than the PUR OEM ones and don't flap around at high speed.

The bent wheel combined with the wheel bearing that's bad leads me to believe the car may have hit a pothole or a curb or something similar. I'd certainly do a thorough inspection of all the suspension components as part of a PPI and the ABS/PSM error could also be related. An impact like this could also have effected the transmission, or it just might need a fresh dose of PTX and will then shift like some of the notchier ones do. I'd be a little more concerned about how the engine actually runs with the supercharger setup. In the supercharged Facebook group, support from VF on second hand inquiries has been less than steller and there are a few people still trying to sort out CELs and fuel trim issues, especially at high RPM. A PPI on this one should include a fuel trim analysis as well as a manometer reading.

Based on what the seller now knows is wrong with it from the prior PPI, he should lower the price and disclose that stuff in the ad - anything less is misleading and dishonest.

If a boroscope showed the engine to be in good shape, it's probably worth $30k as a gamble that you could change the fluid and have it work decently again or swap the trans for a good used one (shouldn't be hard to find). With that and some 2nd hand forged wheels, you'd be at $40k for a 450 HP fun car with an aggressive look, and a supercharged 997 is a hell of a lot of fun.

Last edited by Petza914; 12-10-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:06 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Appreciate the OP's intent but I have to agree with linderpat and bgoetz, seems like this post is a little too much. Putting someone's VIN in the title of a post is a pretty big deal as it will pop up in google searches and really should be reserved for outright fraud IMO. The PSM and ABS warnings will be apparent to anyone who checks out the car and the seller doesn't claim it's in perfect shape. He does say "everything works" which I guess could be misleading if there really is an issue with them but people say that all the time. As to the transmission, who knows if it has a real issue or not. Porsche dealerships say things need to be replaced all the time that really don't so that is hardly definitive. If it's really grinding that will be obvious to anyone who test drives it.

Someone buying the car sight unseen without a PPI may get burned but that's a pretty foolish thing to be doing in the first place. Caveat emptor as they say. Not saying it's a good car or even a fair deal, but that it doesn't seem like fraud. We are all ridiculous perfectionists but most of the world isn't like us. If you think this ad is misleading try checking out the personal ads, this one will seem downright honest in comparison.
Yeah I can understand that, I on a bunch of other beware forum posts everyone said vin should be in title so that is why I added in title. If that needs to be adjusted by all means a mod can do that if they please. As to the seller, he does claim the car is perfect with no issues at all. Maybe this has changed since me seeing the car but as far as I know in my opinion a car is misrepresented when there are known major issues (at least I would think people would consider a transmission needing to be replaced/rebuilt as major) and saying there are no issues at all. In the PPI the mechanic told me it needs rebuild or replace and the recommendation from the dealer he found reconfirmed that. Again I just don't want someone to go through the same situation or waste money on a ppi to just hear the same result. But of course to each is own, maybe someone see's this as an excellent deal and worth the project.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:32 PM
alpinpoodle
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All of these things would be quickly uncovered if a buyer is doing a proper test drive and PPI so I don't see the "fraud" here unless the seller refuses to allow PPI.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:33 PM
million206
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you know what the seats were in this car? Were they authentic porsche carbon seats ?

Quick Reply: Buy beware of WP0AB29996S743765