Sponsored by:

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 11:20 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Not only would I never step foot in there again, but I'd call PCNA and let them know there's some foul play involved with quoting a customer. A fair rate for a fair job and ripping off an existing customer 10x over is a different story.
I don’t think a Porsche dealer can score junkyard or second hand parts to put in the cars they work on. Many driving high end and exotic cars do not want junk yard parts off eBay put in either. I, however, do agree that junk yard parts are the route to go for this situation and car of that value, but that does not mean foul play by the dealer. They just have a higher or a different standard and it makes complete and total sense to go to somewhere other than a dealer for this repair on this car.

I certainly would opt for junk yard or second hand parts in this scenario if coming out of my pocket. If covered by warranty, I would want Porsche dealer parts and not some second hand unit off eBay. I also would not cheap out and get the cheapest unit I could find off eBay. I would pay a little extra to get a sound unit with some type of warranty or guarantee.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-02-2020 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cdirricq (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17 PM
cdirricq
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the dealership: ADDITIONAL SERVICE RECOMMENDATIONS FAILED - CRITICAL CONCERNS
Description Price Approved INFO Transmission, Automatic - R and R7-14 DAYS COMING OUT OF GERMANY 24615.65 CAUTION - NEEDS ATTENTION SOON
Subtotal: 24825.65
ShopFees 0.00
SalesTax 1533.39
TOTAL 26359.04
Old 12-02-2020, 04:56 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

You mean stealership.
cdirricq (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:09 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Your tiptronic is basically a modified Mercedes 722 transmission with output moved to right behind the torque converter housing. Any shop who can work on Mercedes transmission or Chrysler RWD (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Charger/Challenger/Durango or Chrysler 300) should be able to work on it.

IPT upgraded tiptronic is $6400. It is stronger than stock.
https://www.importperformancetrans.c..._detail&p=5404

or you can get their rebuild kit and let any shop who has experience with Mercedes 722 or Chrysler NAG1 transmission rebuild it for you:
https://www.importperformancetrans.c..._detail&p=5415
The following 2 users liked this post by laphan:
cdirricq (12-02-2020), myw (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 197 Posts

I guess I stand corrected, I figured it was considerably cheaper than a PDK. It sure isn't. Zero shop fees for 26k dollar job ha ha. I guess the paper towels and old fluid disposal is on them ha ha. Call the best transmission shop in town, they'll either take real good care of you or know someone who can.
myw (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

I guess I stand corrected, I figured it was considerably cheaper than a PDK. It sure isn't. Zero shop fees for 26k dollar job ha ha. I guess the paper towels and old fluid disposal is on them ha ha. Call the best transmission shop in town, they'll either take real good care of you or know someone who can.
I stand corrected too thinking the same thing. Pricing quoted in this thread makes the TIP look more exclusive than the PDK if ordered from Porsche in Germany but used TIP's on Ebay sell for just over $2,000. Try to find a used PDK for just over $2,000 or try to find a used PDK period.

A TIP for $2,000 that may need some TLC can be worked on by most competent transmission shops or at least all who specialize in German cars. A PDK for $2,000 can't be found to begin with and no matter how low the price is, if you find one and no matter how much work it needs, Porsche dealerships aren't allowed to open them up and work on them so Porsche won't sell internal parts to dealerships. So forget about independent transmission shops for any but minimal work on PDK's. Some know what to do but they can't get parts.

Can't make any sense of all this starting with the $25K quote for a replacement TIP from Germany.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I stand corrected too thinking the same thing. Pricing quoted in this thread makes the TIP look more exclusive than the PDK if ordered from Porsche in Germany but used TIP's on Ebay sell for just over $2,000. Try to find a used PDK for just over $2,000 or try to find a used PDK period.

A TIP for $2,000 that may need some TLC can be worked on by most competent transmission shops or at least all who specialize in German cars. A PDK for $2,000 can't be found to begin with and no matter how low the price is, if you find one and no matter how much work it needs, Porsche dealerships aren't allowed to open them up and work on them so Porsche won't sell internal parts to dealerships. So forget about independent transmission shops for any but minimal work on PDK's. Some know what to do but they can't get parts.

Can't make any sense of all this starting with the $25K quote for a replacement TIP from Germany.
A couple of things. First, there may be quiet a few tiptronics for sale that came out of the pretty large number of 996s and 9971.s that had IMS failures or bore scoring where the owners decided to sell the rollers instead of dropping $25,000 or more on an engine into a $30k or less car.

Second, 15 year old junk yard parts are always cheaper than new parts you get from the factory. Would you rather have a 15 year old, junk yard transmission with unknown mileage and unknown use patterns or a brand new one with factory warranty to install?

Obviously, the price nexus makes zero sense for the OP and his car and he should opt for the used parts. I, however, know a lot of guys that maintain their high end sports cars with an open check book and the best way possible.
Gene_GaTech (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

tripTronic is the new grey pouPoun. absurd but gave me a few laughs.

I am confident there will be a similar/less milage'd used transmission in fair/good/reasonable condition from a grenaded porsche for a reasonable price out there. The cars are a decade and a half old - it can be done properly (proper condition for the year/milage of the car) for 20% of the quoted dealer price

​​​​
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
The list price of that Tiptronic unit (new) is $36K, Sunset has it for $26K at the time of writing...

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...xle-7222702400

Karl.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
A couple of things. First, there may be quiet a few tiptronics for sale that came out of the pretty large number of 996s and 9971.s that had IMS failures or bore scoring where the owners decided to sell the rollers instead of dropping $25,000 or more on an engine into a $30k or less car.

Second, 15 year old junk yard parts are always cheaper than new parts you get from the factory. Would you rather have a 15 year old, junk yard transmission with unknown mileage and unknown use patterns or a brand new one with factory warranty to install?

Obviously, the price nexus makes zero sense for the OP and his car and he should opt for the used parts. I, however, know a lot of guys that maintain their high end sports cars with an open check book and the best way possible.
If I had a busted TIP I think I would try to get as much information as I could gather from someone who had a used one for sale. Feedback and reputation would help. Then with that information on hand find a reputable shop that can work on it if it needs it. Unless you buy a unit that's beyond repair I bet you would end up at a lot less than $25K. Makes no sense to me to buy a TIP that equals or exceeds the value of the car.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:58 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a tiptronic, buy a used one for 2k, forget the open checkbook nonsense. You would have to be a moron to pay $27,000 for that transmission - that's more than the price of a 4.0L with all the best parts.
rtl5009 (12-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure