Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter... or not.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 02:36 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Uldis Argalis
Has anyone heard of ROHLER? There is nothing even on google - no info, no reviews.
Is it some DESIGN911 brand (as only info about ROHLER found on their page)? Chineese Numeric clone?

Wow, I guess it was only a matter of time before there was competition. If this had titanium brackets, that would be awesome but it's only a finish.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:56 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow! What a deal. $458 US dollar with free shipping world wide. I imagine that there would be no sales tax either. That's $300 cheaper than the Numeric out the door.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 186K miles

I have had the Numeric for a bunch of years now and could not be happier. A mod I can touch and feel every day. My only complaint was the cost. Overall, the shifter is a clever but simple mechanism... get the positioning/dimensions correct... put in nice ball bearing pivots... should be easily replicated.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (01-04-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:05 AM
PCarFan16
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my numeric shifter. With their cables, brings shifting feel as close (but not quite as good) to S2000/NSX territory.

that said, mine broke on a road trip in Monterey during Monterey Car Week, rendering the car undrivable. I was able to find an awesome mechanic (Classic Coachworks—highly recommend!) who fixed it overnight. He felt the design was poor and had inherent weak points. I’m thinking about doing the function first mod to my stock shifter and reinstalling that just for peace of mind.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
I love my numeric shifter. With their cables, brings shifting feel as close (but not quite as good) to S2000/NSX territory.

that said, mine broke on a road trip in Monterey during Monterey Car Week, rendering the car undrivable. I was able to find an awesome mechanic (Classic Coachworks—highly recommend!) who fixed it overnight. He felt the design was poor and had inherent weak points. I’m thinking about doing the function first mod to my stock shifter and reinstalling that just for peace of mind.
IIRC, Numeric had two problems when new.... 1) Defective metal stock, 2) Bad ball bearings. This affected a small number of units. The defective stock resulted in the shifter shaft breaking as the metal was not pure, and the bearings would crumble. I am not sure you can hold them too responsible for supplier issue, but they addressed it and supported their customers. Again, mine has been great for ... oh I dunno... 100K miles of use. Just my experience.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-05-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Xios (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:36 AM
PCarFan16
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree! Unfortunately, mine was purchased last year and only had 2500 miles. For what it’s worth, I did not reach out to Numeric because the repair has functioned well and I recognize that defects will occur in any manufacturing process. Just hard to feel perfectly confident in it after having that experience.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
Agree! Unfortunately, mine was purchased last year and only had 2500 miles. For what it’s worth, I did not reach out to Numeric because the repair has functioned well and I recognize that defects will occur in any manufacturing process. Just hard to feel perfectly confident in it after having that experience.
This type of feedback to the forum is really important. We don't have good information when dealing with these small makers. When I buy this kind of stuff from small makers, I realize I am not buying from big business with supposedly R&D and testing etc etc. and I kinda go into it with a bit of caution. You take some chances.

Peace
Old 05-22-2023, 08:19 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
This type of feedback to the forum is really important. We don't have good information when dealing with these small makers. When I buy this kind of stuff from small makers, I realize I am not buying from big business with supposedly R&D and testing etc etc. and I kinda go into it with a bit of caution. You take some chances.

Peace
You also "take some chances" when you buy a cheap copy of something that someone has spent a lot design time and development on.

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

anewman (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:43 PM
dmrose76
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Installed the FunctionFirst cable ends and Shift Right Solution. Pleased. Got on a bit of sale black Friday. Nice, direct shifting feel. Still have 1st gear knotchiness when cold. No additional vibration. Some describe Numeric as riffle-bolt like, which I didn’t really want. Function first mods tightened things up nicely without totally changing the feel.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I have had my current set up for over a year now and I can say I’m very pleased. I have the Numeric Shifter, FF cable ends and the stock(original) cables. I keep it at the middle position and for me it’s perfect. It inspires a lot of confidence rowing through the gears but especially on the downshifting when driving spiritedly and getting it right is critical. This is my weekend car so it’s loud ( Soul Headers and Sport cats, Fisters)raw, and analog feel is what I’m going for so I don’t mind a little NVH. I can honestly say Its very minimal if any on this set up.
Only time getting into first is difficult is my first stop sign when leaving the house and everything is still cold. I know this so I double clutch and it goes right in, after that it’s smooth no issues.
Like was said earlier in the post the best advice is find someone who has a numeric and see if they will let you drive it, it’s the only way you can really know. I took a gamble and just dove right in without trying it first but I’m happy I did.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 05-23-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:42 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

If I am looking for a shifter that removes slop and cleans up the Gates without making the gates super short and without any additional notchiness. Am I more a Numeric or a FF customer > ?

I currently have a porsche SSK and the most up to date oem cables, both installed about 4 months ago. I don't know if Porsche updated their cables or not but the shifts are more firmer than I remember it being with my first 997 back in 2009.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Wow, I guess it was only a matter of time before there was competition. If this had titanium brackets, that would be awesome but it's only a finish.
We cut Design 911 off for copying several of our products. The Porsche industry is a small one. We should be supporting those companies that support our community, not companies that do business like Design 911 and blatantly rip off other peoples designs and products.

From what I can tell, they have copied Rennlist, Tarrett, ERP, RSS, Rennline, Numeric, Rothsport, Function First, and our products as well that are being sold under the Rohler brand. I'm sure there are others. This is unacceptable behavior.

Support the Porsche community and purchase the Numeric shifter, not this clone from Design 911.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 05-23-2023 at 04:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
997.2GTS (05-24-2023), anewman (05-24-2023), BillB128 (05-23-2023), Graufuchs (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 05:48 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

The 997.2 that I bought came with a Numeric shifter and cables.....I will be posting the numeric shifter and cables for sale in the next month or so as I intend to install a 997 GT3 short shift kit and oem cables. I'm one that does not care for the "bolt action" characteristic of the Numeric shifter.

Regards,

Last edited by oalvarez; 05-24-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:10 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
The 997.2 that I bought came with a Numeric shifter and cables.....I will be posting the shifter for sale in the next month or so as I intend to install a 997 GT3 short shift kit and oem cables. I'm one that does not care for the "bolt action" characteristic of the Numeric shifter.

Regards,
You do realize that the 997 GT3 shifter isn't a "short shifter". It has the exact travel, because they use the same lever, as the regular shifter. The only difference between the GT3 and the regular shifter is that GT3 lever is enclosed in metal bushings instead of plastic ones. If you want a short shifter, plus a GT3 feel, then you'll have to by the OEM SSK and retrofit the bushing with metal ones from "Phenix" https://www.phenixengineering.com/pr...ft-bushing-kit as depicted in the 2nd picture below (blue yolk with metal bushings).

I have an OEM SSK with Phenix Engineering metal bushing for sale if you need it (see the 2nd picture, it's not mine, but looks the same).

I borrow this picture from fellow rennlister sober_owl

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 05-24-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:49 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

^ then some version of a 997 ssk is what I’ll most likely go with. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter... or not.