Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter... or not.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts
Default Numeric shifter... or not.

I think it's been beat to death, the virtues of upgrading the shifter in a 997. I have a bit of a different conundrum. With the black Friday sales going on, the Numeric shifter bundle, (shifter, cables, other bits) is about $200 lower than normal pricing. While I am a novice manual shifter, I can appreciate the virtues of better equipment. I'm also a sucker for a good deal My conundrum is I have a bit of a unicorn GTS. It is a low mileage, manual shift cab that is very highly optioned. I'm not saying this to brag, but many folks here and elsewhere have told me this is a very special car and MAY, may be worth money someday despite being a cab. It's a very special build.

I have already made modifications to it, but nothing that isn't easily reversible and I have all the original parts. The shifter is a different story. That requires tearing apart the center console and also running the cables and the extra noise associated with them. Not easy to undo if needed. I did not buy the car as an investment and plan on keeping it long term and really enjoy driving it. Am I being naïve to want to keep the car in as original condition as I have? The only mods done to the car are a Sharkwerks bypass, DSC controller, and clear side markers. All easily changed back. If it truly is a very special build, is it really best to keep it as unmolested as possible? Any other reasons not to do it? 1'st world problems!

There's also the associated cost of having it put in. While I'm very handy and a mechanic in a different type of field, I have no interest in tearing apart my beautiful Porsche. I would prefer not to see how the sausage is made. Any ideas of the cost involved with having it installed? I'm in the Chicago area so prices are a bit high for hourly work.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 12-04-2020 at 05:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
gjenk (09-05-2022), MarkTro (07-02-2023)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:39 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve been eyeing all the Black Friday deals too, and leaning towards the Function First shifter upgrade and cable ends. The Shift Right replaces the bushings in the stock shifter for a tighter feel. Maybe not as solid as the full Numeric solution, but it’s substantially cheaper, especially at 25% off. The cable ends are also easier to change vs Numeric cables, since you don’t need to remove the cables and the work can be done under the car. Again, probably not as tight as a full cable upgrade but a lot cheaper, and no increased cable noise. http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution

The Function First products seem to get great reviews, but no one has done a direct comparison of feel between the FF and Numeric — probably because people just choose one or the other and are happy either way.

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I think it's been beat to death, the virtues of upgrading the shifter in a 997. I have a it of a different conundrum. With the black Friday sales going on, the Numeric shifter bundle, (shifter, cables, other bits) is about $200 lower than normal pricing. While I am a novice manual shifter, I can appreciate the virtues of better equipment. I'm also a sucker for a good deal My conundrum is I have a bit of a unicorn GTS. It is a low mileage, manual shift cab that is very highly optioned. I'm not saying this to brag, but many folks here and elsewhere have told me this is a very special car and MAY, may be worth money someday despite being a cab. It's a very special build.

I have already made modifications to it, but nothing that isn't easily reversible and I have all the original parts. The shifter is a different story. That requires tearing apart the center console and also running the cables and the extra noise associated with them. Not easy to undo if needed. I did not buy the car as an investment and plan on keeping it long term and really enjoy driving it. Am I being naïve to want to keep the car in as original condition as I have? The only mods done to the car are a Sharkwerks bypass, DSC controller, and clear side markers. All easily changed back. If it truly is a very special build, is it really best to keep it as unmolested as possible? Any other reasons not to do it? 1'st world problems!

There's also the associated cost of having it put in. While I'm very handy and a mechanic in a different type of field, I have no interest in tearing apart by beautiful Porsche. I would prefer not to see how the sausage is made. Any ideas of the cost involved with having it installed? I'm in the Chicago area so prices are a bit high for hourly work.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

I can’t really speak to the Numeric setup as I’ve never tried it. People say it’s like a rifle bolt action, but I don’t like stiff throws even if there’s no slop. I’ve tried the factory short shifter and the GT4 shifter and like them both as they retain the buttery smooth and soft throw action, but just shorter. That’s the route I’d go if I were to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
oalvarez (05-22-2023), VT Blue (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:58 AM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Why change if your current setup is working for you? I put the FF shifter upgrade in my 997.2 because there was some play in the shifter. The FF solution improved things and the shifter works fine. It looks daunting to access the shifter, but it really is not that difficult - lots of you tube videos out there will help guide you. I cannot speak to how difficult it is to do the mod itself, because when I did the purchase FF offered an entire modified shifter as a purchase option. I did keep the original cables in the car. I also have a 997.2 that I use for street and HPDE. When the shifter cables broke in that car, I replaced them with the Numeric cables and did the swap to Numeric shifter at the same time. My mechanic did the install on that one because I do not have access to a lift and I hate working on my back. The Numeric setup does feel more "mechanical" and you can really feel it click into gear. Both transmissions shift smoothly especially when warmed up. Honestly, I can't say that I prefer one over the other. When I drive the 997,I like it more; when I drive the Cayman, I like it more...
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:05 PM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

You did not buy the car as an investment and plan on keeping it long term. It sounds to me like you're a Numeric candidate. Install cost, even at an indy shop, is expensive as it takes hours for the cables. Figure on budgeting the cost of parts X2.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:38 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

@Prairiedawg, I 100% share/empathize with your mind-set. I don't have a GTS but I am very pleased/blessed with my build, have done the same mods as you, and hesitate to go too far down the rabbit hole on additional work for similar reasons.

Maybe go half-way as @Carreralicious mentioned and try the factory short-throw? Yeah, it will be bucks -- maybe the same as a Numeric, I really don't know, though an Indy could install it -- but you'll retain the factory provenance and peace of mind.

I, too, am torn as there are so many positive things said about both Numeric and FF that, for now, I'm just going to enjoy what I have and will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Bob

Old 11-27-2020, 01:11 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn’t do it if your car is indeed that rare. Keep it 100% stock. Any type of shifter mod will be a pain to remove once it becomes time to sell, and will add 0 resale value (for those that are looking to that type of car anyway).

Last edited by slowslowcar; 11-27-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:04 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I think it's been beat to death, the virtues of upgrading the shifter in a 997. I have a it of a different conundrum. With the black Friday sales going on, the Numeric shifter bundle, (shifter, cables, other bits) is about $200 lower than normal pricing. While I am a novice manual shifter, I can appreciate the virtues of better equipment. I'm also a sucker for a good deal My conundrum is I have a bit of a unicorn GTS. It is a low mileage, manual shift cab that is very highly optioned. I'm not saying this to brag, but many folks here and elsewhere have told me this is a very special car and MAY, may be worth money someday despite being a cab. It's a very special build.

There's also the associated cost of having it put in. While I'm very handy and a mechanic in a different type of field, I have no interest in tearing apart by beautiful Porsche. I would prefer not to see how the sausage is made. Any ideas of the cost involved with having it installed? I'm in the Chicago area so prices are a bit high for hourly work.
If you plan to keep and drive it, then there is no sense in worrying about resale value and exclusiveness. Then again, you may say that now but then 15-20 yrs down the road, you might decide to sell it. At that point, you'll be too lazy to reverse everything and will sell it as is. This is why keeping it near OEM is the best approach.

When it comes to the shifter, the sales will be there next year. The choice is what do you want out of it? Do you want a more bolt action shift, a more mechanical shifter, worrying about the OEM cables breaking? Regardless of any shifter, you're going to dig into, remove the console, shifter cables etc. This is true whether you go Numeric, GT3 shifter, B&M SSK or just upgrading to Phoenix solid bushings etc.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:21 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

No one is gonna deduct money because of a Numeric shifter. Which is regarded as a high-end, highly desirable mod. Keep the stock parts and swap them if some dummy wants it with the original crappy shifter.
The following 4 users liked this post by cwheeler:
Alfnado (11-29-2020), FlatHat (05-24-2023), NAMR6MT (11-27-2020), phizzak (01-10-2024)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:33 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 145 Posts

The Numeric Racing shifter and cables were the first mods I added to my 997.1 C2 when I bought it early this year. The stock shifter in my car was very worn and it had a lot of play.

I won't bother describing how the Numeric Racing shifter feels. It's like describing how a 911 feels to drive to someone who hasn't driven a 911 before. 90% of the feels won't come through with just words. Ask around on the forums and see if someone near you have it installed and willing to let you try it. In most cases, the improvement in shift feel is enough to make the sale.

In terms of installation cost, I had a shop that's familiar with Porsches to install the shifter and cables. I was charged 5 hours of labor to do the complete job and the rate was $124/hr. Now that I'm more familiar with the car I would have done it myself. Taking the center console out is not a difficult job. I have done it a few times now for the Recaro PP seats and Rennline shifter riser. It takes me about 30mins to take the center console out with just basic hand tools. There's nothing nonreversible about removing the center console.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

I suggest you upgrade just the shifter not the cables, this way you can do it yourself in about two to three hours. Not difficult and instructions are decent, just take you time so nothing gets scratched. The upgrade is well worth it, when you put ht two shifters next to each other it becomes very obvious which is the superior product. I don't agree with the rifle like action because it makes it sound too rigid or stiff which is not the case, it just moves nicer, smoother with a solid feel to it. Save the OEM for resale in case someone wants to install original which I doubt. It is a improvement which you will appreciate every time you drive the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Feld:
steveP911 (06-22-2021), TheTorch (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Numeric shifter is easily reversible because the whole unit comes out and is replaced. The FF is also good but more permanent/harder to change out because you have to install all the pieces into your original shifter. Also it doesn't change the throw but does give it a more precise feel / less rubbery. The worst choice is something the B&M which is notchy and also requires you to take apart the shifter like the FF.

I would not change the cables. I know a lot of people love them but on every car I've tried they make some sort of sound or added vibration.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan@SharkWerks:
Liste-Renn (01-05-2023), oalvarez (05-22-2023), VT Blue (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Agree on the B&M. I’ve tried that out on friends’ shifters and I hated it. Notchy and takes more effort to get into gears. I don’t see anything wrong with the factory short shifters. They retain the smooth and easy shifts.

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Numeric shifter is easily reversible because the whole unit comes out and is replaced. The FF is also good but more permanent/harder to change out because you have to install all the pieces into your original shifter. Also it doesn't change the throw but does give it a more precise feel / less rubbery. The worst choice is something the B&M which is notchy and also requires you to take apart the shifter like the FF.

I would not change the cables. I know a lot of people love them but on every car I've tried they make some sort of sound or added vibration.
The following users liked this post:
$ Short (06-25-2023)
Old 11-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

From a completely non-biased point of view... Definitely go with the Numeric Shifter and Cables LOL. Noise vibration is easy to get rid of. Give us a call anytime if you have any questions we can answer!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
The following 2 users liked this post by Numeric Racing:
aramosc (01-04-2023), gargoyle (11-29-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:03 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

@Dan@SharkWerks, and not to hijack this thread, but your products are truly outstanding. The workmanship, support, etc. Could not be happier with my x-pipe.

Keep up the great work.

Bob

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter... or not.