Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter... or not.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:08 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Any squeaks and rattles from removing the center console?
None, take your time and be methodical and make sure no screws are left over. LOL The only nerve racking thing is snapping out the shifter bezel but follow the online direction from Numeric it describes it well. I use an I pad in my car and follow the step by step, took about 2hrs.

One thing to pay attention to is the shifter alignment before you put the whole thing back together, I marked cable position when removing clips with sharpie which helps when snapping cables back in. There is lots of adjustment available, after snapping cables in shift into all gears and make sure the bottom of shifter doesn’t interfere with any other part of shifter. Then make sure it moves effortless and fully engages all gears, kinda hard to explain but obvious when you are in there. If you need more or less movement from shifter adjust the cable ends, it is really obvious when it is right or something is off. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2020, 02:18 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I’ve said this one before. The shift ****, for the one that twists to unlock, clamp some locking pliers on the metal beneath and use something angled to pry up. Takes minimal effort.

On the side trim pieces on either side of radio, I actually find tapping from behind with a mallet helps free them up without having to yank and get the angles wrong.
The following users liked this post:
TheTorch (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmmm, this is difficult. If I move forward it would definitely be the Numeric. When I have a choice on products, I always go for quality over price, to a point. I could be convinced to go with just the shifter and use the factory cables. I'm not too worried about noise though, my 997 Cab is quite loud actually between road noise, exhaust, etc. I like the function first cable end idea but I have a problem spending $130 on some simple hardware that looks like it cost $9.00 at McMaster Carr. If it was more reasonable I could probably be persuaded to go that direction with the Numeric shifter. Are there any other options for the stock cable ends? Think FF but without the ridiculous markup for some clips and a couple of cotter pins.

I think I would at least prefer not to have to replace the cables if I move forward. I suppose one could always do the cables at another time if you must.

It's a compelling argument saying adding a high quality shifter isn't going to devalue your car. Matter of fact, if you left it in there, how would anyone know except someone would say "this one shifts better that most" .

Edit: the FF ends are a little more sophisticated than a $10 trip to the hardware store but $175, really?

I just wanted to clarify this for everyone (and I do see that you edited your original post after having looked into the product in more detail, which I appreciate), but the Function-First Cable Ends are more than just some off the shelf hardware.
If that were the case, I would not be selling this solution.

@Prairiedawg, you are correct that the hardware comes from McMaster, but the other pieces that essentially make up bulk of the upgrade kit are unique machined aluminum or Delrin pieces to replace the factory rubber and plastic ends - 3 to 4 pieces (depending on car model) .

Replacing the OEM rubber and plastic ends is what produces the enhanced shifting feel and precision, removing the overall rubbery feeling. Keeping the OEM cables means there is zero additional NVH. And the cotter pins ensure that the cable ends can never pop off the transmission -- unlike the OEM plastic ends that wear out and fall off, which is what stranded me in my car on the side of the road and prompted me to develop this upgrade (along with the added performance benefit, of course).

Regarding pricing, I do not normally go into the specifics, but I'll bite this time. My cost is dependent on...
- Unique number of machined pieces per kit (3 to 4 in this case, along with Delrin which is more costly to produce relative to aluminum).
- Machined tolerance requirements (very tight, in this case, otherwise the product does not deliver its promise to customer.
- Quantity produced per production run (small in this case due to the limited application across the Porsche model ranges, combined with it only catering to a small subset of that market anyways).

Combine the above with having to leave enough room for re-sellers to sell at MSRP and then enough room to sell at promotional pricing, which I am doing right now at a very favorable markdown.

That said, I am also a consumer. Reading the above doesn't really mean jack-sht to me either when purchasing parts, so I sympathize with you on that front. As a consumer, I really only care about the price I am paying.
So with that in mind, I will take your post as constructive feedback, and I am working to reduce my cost on these parts going forward and to trickle down the savings to the consumer.

But here's what you (and any other 997 owner) will currently gain from the Cable Ends:
- Install is WAY easier than removing/installing entire cables, and also WAY easier than installing a shifter. Just remove the transmission undertray, clip the OEM ends out, and install these - 45mins total. So if you take into account added labor costs, you come out way ahead.
- No added NVH, which is ideal for a street car, so there's no penalty when it comes to re-sale. So there's really no reason to undo this if you want to return the car to "stock".
- Probably the lowest cost upgrade for enhanced shifter feel and precision.
- They are on sale right now for 25% off.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by Function-First:
C4SDayton (11-29-2020), Dan@SharkWerks (11-30-2020), TerrestrialFlyte (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

@Prairiedawg, as @TheTorch mentioned, there are plenty of videos out there. The one Numeric has on their site's installation/guide page is pretty good at showing the steps. You can also see it here.

Nice write-up, very compelling, @Function-First. Thanks for that.

Bob

Last edited by VT Blue; 11-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:55 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm interested in adding a Numeric shifter to my 997.2, but after looking at the videos, I just don't think that I want to tackle the install as I'm too impatient and not at all mechanically courageous. And those cables and the cable switch to the new shifter looks really confusing in both pictures and videos. I could be wrong, but to me, it looks like you've got to install this slowly and patiently, or have installed many of them so that you're intimately familiar with the steps.

How hard is it to find a shop or mechanic that would want to install one for me and that would do a good job doing it?

EB
Central Wisconsin
Old 11-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First

Regarding pricing, I do not normally go into the specifics, but I'll bite this time. My cost is dependent on...
- Unique number of machined pieces per kit (3 to 4 in this case, along with Delrin which is more costly to produce relative to aluminum).
- Machined tolerance requirements (very tight, in this case, otherwise the product does not deliver its promise to customer.
- Quantity produced per production run (small in this case due to the limited application across the Porsche model ranges, combined with it only catering to a small subset of that market anyways).

Combine the above with having to leave enough room for re-sellers to sell at MSRP and then enough room to sell at promotional pricing, which I am doing right now at a very favorable markdown.

That said, I am also a consumer. Reading the above doesn't really mean jack-sht to me either when purchasing parts, so I sympathize with you on that front. As a consumer, I really only care about the price I am paying.
So with that in mind, I will take your post as constructive feedback, and I am working to reduce my cost on these parts going forward and to trickle down the savings to the consumer.
Thank you for joining in. My remarks were possibly a bit unfair. I can appreciate the nuances of producing parts for a limited market. I can understand there are higher costs involved with limited production runs and handmade parts. 911's aren't mass produced like Camry's are but they DO make a lot of them. Sometimes though, it seems like aftermarket prices are higher only due to the crest on the hood. This case, warranted or not, is a perception of value and feels like the proverbial Porsche tax. I understand the limited market aspect, but at the same time the cable ends were used all manual Boxsters, Caymans, and 911's from 2005-2012. That's ten's of thousands of vehicles. Not all are manuals and not all will be in the market for cable ends, but there were a lot of them made.

The thing to understand with that market (and all really) is we as 997 owners are price sensitive. We don't own new Porsche's, we have used ones, all approaching 10 years old. We don't mind paying more for quality otherwise we would all own Camaro's and Mustang's. We see a value in what a 911 brings to the table. What we don't like is feeling like we're being taken advantage of. That's why a large number of us don't see the value in a $400 oil change. I'm am not inferring you (Function First) or any other vendor are trying to take advantage of anyone, you're just trying to sell a product in a limited market. I just don't see the value in it for $175 or even the lower black Friday sale. It's hard for me to reconcile the FF ends are 25% of the cost of the Numeric shifter, which is widely understood as magnificent. If it was below $100, where do I give my credit card info?!!

Thank you for coming into the thread and explaining some of the costs involved with your products, I think we can all appreciate that.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 11-29-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:54 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you for joining in. My remarks were possibly a bit unfair. I can appreciate the nuances of producing parts for a limited market. I can understand there are higher costs involved with limited production runs and handmade parts. 911's aren't mass produced like Camry's are but they DO make a lot of them. Sometimes though, it seems like aftermarket prices are higher only due to the crest on the hood. This case, warranted or not, is a perception of value and feels like the proverbial Porsche tax. I understand the limited market aspect, but at the same time the cable ends were used all manual Boxsters, Caymans, and 911's from 2005-2012. That's ten's of thousands of vehicles. Not all are manuals and not all will be in the market for cable ends, but there were a lot of them made.

The thing to understand with that market (and all really) is we as 997 owners are price sensitive. We don't own new Porsche's, we have used ones, all approaching 10 years old. We don't mind paying more for quality otherwise we would all own Camaro's and Mustang's. We see a value in what a 911 brings to the table. What we don't like is feeling like we're being taken advantage of. That's why a large number of us don't see the value in a $400 oil change. I'm am not inferring you (Function First) or any other vendor are trying to take advantage of anyone, you're just trying to sell a product in a limited market. I just don't see the value in it for $175 or even the lower black Friday sale. It's hard for me to reconcile the FF ends are 25% of the cost of the Numeric shifter, which is widely understood as magnificent. If it was below $100, where do I give my credit card info?!!

Thank you for coming into the thread and explaining some of the costs involved with your products, I think we can all appreciate that.
There is a Porsche tax, but I think you have to live with it or stay stock. A custom made part, even simple, made in small numbers, is going to cost. This isn't as simple as a tow hook or aluminum license plate or many other simple items that people can spend as much on, but it can't be seen, so maybe that adds to the perception of value. I was a bit appalled to get an email from Porsche advertising some clothes including a simple hoodie that said Porsche on it for $150. I wouldn't pay that for a $40 shirt with a $110 logo on it, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Ok so bottom line, will the numeric shifter itself, with no cable replacement nor ends, solve the common first gear gear difficulty at times and notchy second gear? Although I am capable of DIYIng it I would gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing to install the shifter and an extra $150+ for the FF ends plus extra $ for labor if that is what will cure the "desease", come on.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:05 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I have the numeric shifter, no replacement cables (not sure about ends but assume stock). No notchiness into 2nd gear whatsoever. Occasional issues shifting into first. I’m at about 78K miles, and just ordered the PTX fluid from Suncoast so will be doing the trans fluid change in the next month or so to see if that resolves it.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:45 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Simple answer is hell yeah.

my car came with the Porsche short shifter. Shift action was sloppy and vague. My car had some issues with second at times and getting back to first.

I had the shifter, cables, insulation sheathing, gear oil and a function first **** installed. The difference is night and day. Very mechanical and precise. I have no issues with second ever and very rare issues getting into first that you would see with any manual that is cold.

As for the OE conversation I keep all my parts. If and when I sell the car I will offer them to the new owner. I’m also not going to worry about what a new potential buy wants in a car. The 997.1 had the highest production rate of any 911, so don’t think they are rare. My feeling is enjoy the car. So if that includes altering the shift linkage and shifter then do it.

Last edited by TopKatz; 11-30-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:29 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
I have the numeric shifter, no replacement cables (not sure about ends but assume stock). No notchiness into 2nd gear whatsoever. Occasional issues shifting into first. I’m at about 78K miles, and just ordered the PTX fluid from Suncoast so will be doing the trans fluid change in the next month or so to see if that resolves it.
So, to be clear, with just the Numeric shifter, you will still have trouble/notchiness going into first occasionally. Although my issues are common and not 100% of the time, not sure if worth the time and effort and $ as my OEM SS feels pretty good to me, except for the sometime 1st and 1st to 2nd balkiness. BTW PTX didn't improve much for me, possibly snake oil.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
So, to be clear, with just the Numeric shifter, you will still have trouble/notchiness going into first occasionally. Although my issues are common and not 100% of the time, not sure if worth the time and effort and $ as my OEM SS feels pretty good to me, except for the sometime 1st and 1st to 2nd balkiness. BTW PTX didn't improve much for me, possibly snake oil.
We very very rarely hear issues about getting into 1st or 2nd and when we do occasionally, we always solve the problem.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
doclouie (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Rico_FL
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

After reading this thread, I called Numeric and ordered one yesterday. I am simply looking to remove excessive play. Not interested for now on short shifter option.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 PM
RedDragon
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a comparison and install video with the Numeric and a few others in my own and friends cars. After driving my car 2 friends bout Numeric shifters straight away and it is easy to put the stock one back in if you wanted to sell it.

DesmoSD (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Uldis Argalis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of ROHLER? There is nothing even on google - no info, no reviews.
Is it some DESIGN911 brand (as only info about ROHLER found on their page)? Chineese Numeric clone?

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter... or not.