TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I did the OEM and I'm very happy!
Old 11-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Hmmm, this is difficult. If I move forward it would definitely be the Numeric. When I have a choice on products, I always go for quality over price, to a point. I could be convinced to go with just the shifter and use the factory cables. I'm not too worried about noise though, my 997 Cab is quite loud actually between road noise, exhaust, etc. I like the function first cable end idea but I have a problem spending $130 on some simple hardware that looks like it cost $9.00 at McMaster Carr. If it was more reasonable I could probably be persuaded to go that direction with the Numeric shifter. Are there any other options for the stock cable ends? Think FF but without the ridiculous markup for some clips and a couple of cotter pins.

I think I would at least prefer not to have to replace the cables if I move forward. I suppose one could always do the cables at another time if you must.

It's a compelling argument saying adding a high quality shifter isn't going to devalue your car. Matter of fact, if you left it in there, how would anyone know except someone would say "this one shifts better that most" .

Edit: the FF ends are a little more sophisticated than a $10 trip to the hardware store but $175, really?

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 11-27-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
From a completely non-biased point of view... Definitely go with the Numeric Shifter and Cables LOL. Noise vibration is easy to get rid of. Give us a call anytime if you have any questions we can answer!
How long is your sale going on for? I'll probably take advantage of it for the shifter but I have to sleep on it for the cables. If I go that route, it seems I have to buy them all at once to take advantage of the savings.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:53 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

In terms of console removal. Easy once you get the hang of it. The rubber grommet removal isn’t bad either, just put a long extension on the solid part between cables and hit it with a mallet or something. Now getting it back in, is a whole different can of worms.

I expect to have to return my car to stock when it’s to move on whenever that is so I keep all the original oem components. In some ways my car will have newer components than what the odometer says because of how much I’ve swapped out. Would probably take me a long weekend to get it all back to stock. Seems like a small price to pay to personalize especially if DIY.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have installed some knock off numeric cables and they took me probably 3 hours to install. To be honest the cables did very little for the sloppy shifter. I ordered the numeric shifter due to the sale. I almost got one off eBay, but I lost the bid of $550. My shifter will be here this week and I will just keep the old shifter if I ever sell the car. Changing out the shifter is about a 30-45 minute job so it does not take much.
The following users liked this post:
Dpmarc (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:02 AM
Dpmarc
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have installed some knock off numeric cables and they took me probably 3 hours to install. To be honest the cables did very little for the sloppy shifter. I ordered the numeric shifter due to the sale. I almost got one off eBay, but I lost the bid of $550. My shifter will be here this week and I will just keep the old shifter if I ever sell the car. Changing out the shifter is about a 30-45 minute job so it does not take much.

Did you go go with the precision works cables? Any improvement? I’m thinking the same thing...

Thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 12:15 AM
RC713
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Do it, keep the OEM parts in a safe place for the someday you or someone else might want or need them.
doclouie (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I've posted a lot about my Numeric and will do so again. They are expensive (especially when factoring in exchange rate to Canadian dollars and shipping for me!), but they are excellent. My car came with factory short shifter, and the Numeric at the middle throw setting is comparable in throw, but massively better in feel. I left the stock cables in. I've been debating whether to also upgrade the cables, or perhaps just the ends. I have been put off by postings about added NVH with aftermarket cables installed. I have a low tolerance for that - for instance, I removed the Function First poly trans insert because I felt it was too much vibration. That said, I did add Uro branded 964/993 RS solid engine mounts, and the added NVH seems less than that with the FF trans mount.

The other comment I will make is that the Honda S2000 has the best shift feel of any car, in my opinion. Though I don't have a massive catalogue of driving experience in variety of cars, the view about the S2000 shifter is shared by many. I never felt the urge to modify the S2000 shifter because it felt so right, other than adding a heavier shift ****. The point of this S2000 story though is that the Numeric shifter does push the 997 towards the S2000 shift feel.

I would like to drive a car with a CAE shifter though.
The following 3 users liked this post by Saaboteur:
phizzak (01-10-2024), SCEvan (11-30-2020), VT Blue (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:28 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpmarc
Did you go go with the precision works cables? Any improvement? I’m thinking the same thing...

Thanks
Yes I installed the precision works cables. If there was any improvement with just the cables I could not tell. I shimmed the shifter and that helped, but it just feels sloppy and I hate sloppy. I will keep the stock shifter and maybe someday let it go or maybe not.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:25 AM
gargoyle
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Numeric!!!

When I picked up my 07 Targa 4S in Feb and headed back to Northern IL I discovered several things quite quickly. One the shifting sucked. Two, I couldn't hear the engine and three the stereo really SUCKED!! After I got home and the snow cleared I set out to get all 3 things fixed. Numbers 2 and 3 occurred at the same time. I went with the Numeric shifter and cables and to this day 10k miles later I don't regret it in any way!
Old 11-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gargoyle
When I picked up my 07 Targa 4S in Feb and headed back to Northern IL I discovered several things quite quickly. One the shifting sucked. Two, I couldn't hear the engine and three the stereo really SUCKED!! After I got home and the snow cleared I set out to get all 3 things fixed. Numbers 2 and 3 occurred at the same time. I went with the Numeric shifter and cables and to this day 10k miles later I don't regret it in any way!
Did you do the work yourself or did someone else put it in? If so who did the work and how much was it, if you don't mind?

I think if I move forward, I would just do the shifter sans the cables. I like the idea of replacing the ends but still have a hard time coughing up $175 for a bit of hardware. Maybe I'm a bit weird, I'll pay $700 for the shifter but balk at the other bits for $175

Anyone installed just the shifter with the stock cables? Is it worth doing without going all the way?
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
TheTorch (11-29-2020), VT Blue (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:42 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Anyone installed just the shifter with the stock cables? Is it worth doing without going all the way?
Yes. Many have. It's a big improvement if you want more positive shifts, and shorter shift throw. No slop compared to stock.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Shifter only, well worth it! Easy to do.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:52 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Yes. Many have. It's a big improvement if you want more positive shifts, and shorter shift throw. No slop compared to stock.
Originally Posted by Feld
Shifter only, well worth it! Easy to do.
Any squeaks and rattles from removing the center console?
Old 11-29-2020, 01:05 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Any squeaks and rattles from removing the center console?
none. it's not hard. Just find one of the good videos. A few things I recall:
  • The 2 hidden screws in the footwell carpets are not obvious.
  • The way the shifter boot / surround comes off isn't obvious until you see the way the clips /lock work. Pay attentions to the vids.
  • The vertical console sides take some force to remove. You won't hurt anything. Pull straight back.
  • The shift **** takes a lot of force to remove. You wouldn't be the first to smash themselves in the face pulling it off.
  • Try not to drop screws.
  • Lift the center console out slowly.
AxelR (11-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter... or not.