Sponsored by:

997.1 C2 lightweight street car

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 02:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Love this project.

Love the subtlety of the car, with only the lugs so far giving anything away until you look inside. I'd keep that theme going. As for wheels, those Champion wheels are very, very cool and were exceptional in terms of quality. Are the ones on offer the aluminum or the magnesium ones? Either way, hard to beat at that price, and the design was excellent on the 997. With that said, these cars handled beautifully on the standard 18-inch wheels. Makes me wonder what a set of AWCs done to look like them might weigh? Talk about stealth performance.

As much of a romantic as I am, I am not sure I could delete a radio and a steering wheel airbag for 8 pounds, but to each their own. I would, however, be eyeing that sunroof—even if only its mechanisms...
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-08-2021)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:58 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice work! I have done most of the same things you listed on my 997.

Another one I performed on my car is the sunroof delete. I think it saves about 20-30 pounds. Not really worth it for all the money spent to do it right, but when did that ever stop us! Looks nicer from the outside.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post15975916

There is big weight savings by swapping out the front doors with GT3 or Turbo aluminum doors. But, it is a bit of work and $$$ as well.

Of course, then I added a roll cage back in, which probably added another 50 pounds back.
The following 5 users liked this post by halo777:
DesmoSD (11-03-2020), Fined (11-05-2020), Kodos9865 (05-22-2024), Que (11-21-2023), sw686blue (09-24-2021)
Old 11-03-2020, 03:39 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by msequence
Neat thread and cool breakdown with $/lb. saved. I plan to do a few complimentary weight savings mods as I start on the car in the spring so this thread is neat. How does the car feel with the removed weight? Noticible difference? Do you hit HPDE's with it at all?
I have a A to A driving route that I set up around my house that involves bumpy curvy back roads for testing mods and setup changes. The car feels more agile and noticeably faster. Thanks to the weight saving, my C2 now has the same power to weight as a C2S without any power mods. And with the 1 way adjustable coilovers, I was able to get the GT3 alignment and dial in the compression and rebound. That helps a lot in handling improvement too. I have no plans for HPDE at the moment.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Very cool.

When you need new front brakes, get a 2-piece rotor setup and the aluminum hats will save you some weight over the iron hubs. Might be able to do the same in the rear. Ideally, you'd go to a full PCCB setup and save a ton of weight while improving the braking, but that's a high-dollar spend close to 5 figures for a full PCCB setup with the rotors and calipers.

I have a set of very light, forged Champion rs171 wheels with usable tires for sale in a NB fitment that's an 11.5" wide rear so you can run a 305 or even wider tire. They've even a couple pounds lighter than my current Forgelines. Had them on my GT silver 997 so you can see what they'd look like on your car too. Custom polished and clear powdercoated for zero maintenance to maintain the shine. $4,250 shipped.
I have talked to Girodisc about the 2 piece rotors they offer. The weight saving isn't much since my C2 has the tiny stock rotors. The Girodisc saves about 1.6lbs per rotor in the front and weigh about the same in the rear. They will be upgraded once the stock rotors are worn. PCCB is the dream though.
I'm a big fan of the Champion wheels and I have considered your listing before. But the AWC custom forged magnesium wheels with matching caps are about $5800 shipped thanks for preferable CDN to USD exchange rate. It's very hard to beat that.

Originally Posted by stout
Love this project.

Love the subtlety of the car, with only the lugs so far giving anything away until you look inside. I'd keep that theme going. As for wheels, those Champion wheels are very, very cool and were exceptional in terms of quality. Are the ones on offer the aluminum or the magnesium ones? Either way, hard to beat at that price, and the design was excellent on the 997. With that said, these cars handled beautifully on the standard 18-inch wheels. Makes me wonder what a set of AWCs done to look like them might weigh? Talk about stealth performance.

As much of a romantic as I am, I am not sure I could delete a radio and a steering wheel airbag for 8 pounds, but to each their own. I would, however, be eyeing that sunroof—even if only its mechanisms...
Thanks! Interior mods are high on my mod list as those are the mods that you notice all the time. So I ended up with a relatively stock looking car with a pretty modded interior. I'm thinking using a Porsche split 5 spoke design for the mag wheels. Although I will probably stick to 19in, since I think the car looks a lot better that way and I can keep using my almost brand new Michelin PS4S tires.

Originally Posted by halo777
Nice work! I have done most of the same things you listed on my 997.

Another one I performed on my car is the sunroof delete. I think it saves about 20-30 pounds. Not really worth it for all the money spent to do it right, but when did that ever stop us! Looks nicer from the outside.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post15975916

There is big weight savings by swapping out the front doors with GT3 or Turbo aluminum doors. But, it is a bit of work and $$$ as well.

Of course, then I added a roll cage back in, which probably added another 50 pounds back.
Thanks for the advise. I completely forgot Porsche made aluminum doors for 997s. That's pretty sweet. I was eyeing the street version carbonfiber doors with crash bar from FVD for a while. But that's big money. I have considered sunroof delete. I want to keep mods that I'm doing reversible for now. I might still do it though once I run out of easy things to do to remove weight.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:35 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 314 Posts

how do you like Recaro Pole Position ABE seats ?
Old 11-03-2020, 09:02 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markmark26
how do you like Recaro Pole Position ABE seats ?
I absolutely love the PP ABE seats. They save a big chunk of weight and I think they look great. They are also more comfortable than the stock standard seats for me. Although I'm 5'11" and weigh 150lbs with 31in waist, so your mileage may very depending on your physique.

Last edited by J.Tan; 11-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Not weight reduction related, but I just got a set of seat inserts in pepita fabric for the Recaro Pole Position seats from Car-Bone. The inserts took three and half weeks to show up, which isn't bad.
The fabric quality and craftsmanship is fantastic. The most awesome thing is that it cost me one third of what P1Designs would have charged for pepita inserts, shipping cost included. I will let the photos do the talking.

The following 7 users liked this post by J.Tan:
C4SDayton (01-06-2021), DesmoSD (11-05-2020), ElectricChair (01-10-2021), Emc2design (01-14-2021), Hootsama (11-04-2020), quickxotica (11-04-2020), RDS928S (07-02-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:26 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 86 Posts

This is very cool and right up my alley. I once had a 2003 996 C2 Aero that I got down to 3,000 even with stock airbags and a full interior still in place. I notice in your spreadsheet you list 3,075 lbs as your starting weight (assuming before mods). Is that real or just a guess? Have you had your car on a set of scales recently? Don't be surprised if the reality is heavier than the "curb weight" advertised by Porsche.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:37 PM
andino
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Those PP's look great. When I see interior's like yours, it makes me kind of wish I opted for a car with black interior. So much easier/cheaper to drop in buckets that match the rest without the need to get things reupholdered to match. Car's looking good dude! I daily my car and the lack of a center console and trunk liner is too far for me but it looks great for your setup!
Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
This is very cool and right up my alley. I once had a 2003 996 C2 Aero that I got down to 3,000 even with stock airbags and a full interior still in place. I notice in your spreadsheet you list 3,075 lbs as your starting weight (assuming before mods). Is that real or just a guess? Have you had your car on a set of scales recently? Don't be surprised if the reality is heavier than the "curb weight" advertised by Porsche.
Good catch on the 3,075 lbs curb weight I put into the spreadsheet. That's the placeholder curb weight I got online. I'm certain that's with the standard manual seats. Mine had memory seats, so the curb weight would have been higher. The car will be corner balanced next summer. I will be able to get a accurate weight of the car then.

Originally Posted by andino
Those PP's look great. When I see interior's like yours, it makes me kind of wish I opted for a car with black interior. So much easier/cheaper to drop in buckets that match the rest without the need to get things reupholdered to match. Car's looking good dude! I daily my car and the lack of a center console and trunk liner is too far for me but it looks great for your setup!
I feel you on the interior color other than black. I almost pulled the trigger on a black C2 with beige interior due to lower price, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it at the end.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:34 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Wow, that transforms that interior and compliments it very well. I love how simple and analog our interiors are.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Good point. My 997.2 C2S 6MT with, I think, a full tank of gas and 75lbs of weight in the driver seat was 3250 on corner balance scales.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:13 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Tan
Not weight reduction related, but I just got a set of seat inserts in pepita fabric for the Recaro Pole Position seats from Car-Bone. The inserts took three and half weeks to show up, which isn't bad.
The fabric quality and craftsmanship is fantastic. The most awesome thing is that it cost me one third of what P1Designs would have charged for pepita inserts, shipping cost included. I will let the photos do the talking.

Awesome interior! A customer of mine has a 996 GT3 with the same spec, one of my favorites.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Battery

How is the antigravity battery holding up?
will it work for a car that still has the radio system (I very rarely if ever have the radio on for anything but the gps on my alpine ilx) long term?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:44 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
How is the antigravity battery holding up?
will it work for a car that still has the radio system (I very rarely if ever have the radio on for anything but the gps on my alpine ilx) long term?
The 30Ah AG battery is holding up great for the couple months I've had it so far. The longest I have the car parked is a whole week. And it drops about 4% of charge according to the bluetooth battery monitor. It charges right back to 100% after a short drive. The radio system may drain it a bit more but I don't see that being a problem. You can go with their 40 Ah version for more capacity though.
frederickcook87 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:19 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 86 Posts

Speaking of the antigravity battery, I installed one as well (the H7/42R 40-Amp/hr version, which weighs 15.x pounds). My stock battery (Interstate H7 42R) weighed 41.94lbs. So, my net weight savings there was 26.5lbs. I'm very happy with that, but your spreadsheet above says you saved 43.6lbs with your battery swap, which would imply that your original battery weighed, like, 56lbs or thereabouts. Is that right, or perhaps is the 43.6 figure your stock battery's total weight, from which you need to deduct 13.6lbs for the Antigravity H6 you put in its place?

Anyway, very cool project. I look forward to more updates!

Last edited by quickxotica; 11-18-2020 at 12:26 AM.
yohoba (01-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2 lightweight street car