Sponsored by:

Tiptronic love ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 03:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Fresh.Sizzle
I just absolutely CANNOT stand the weirdass up-down shift selectors on both columns of the steering wheel of any automatic tiptronic and some pdk porsches. It drives me nuts!.
I guess you do not appreciate redundancy and its advantages.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:06 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I guess you do not appreciate redundancy and its advantages.
Very true. The buttons have gotten an undeserved bad reputation.

Different isn't always better, but I like the buttons on my 2010 C4S more than the very well designed paddles on my wife's AMG.

Depending upon how you hold the steering wheel the buttons may or may not work for you.

FWIW ...

I hold the wheel just above 9 and 3.

I avoid wrapping my thumb inside ... A pet peeve of mine. I was strongly taught to not do so. Older non power steering vehicles could break your thumbs in certain circumstances if your thumb was to the inside. In those mostly off road cases the steering wheel auto spins at blurring speeds, and yes, I've witnessed this multiple times. Picture an off camber hillside where one front wheel lifts and the other digs in and snap steers through the steering box. The leverage of the landscape dominates any amount of grip you can supply to the steering wheel.

I use a very loose grip (almost finger tip). This allows longer drives with less fatigue. Also, the steering wheel gives me more feedback (a firm grip absorbs and minimizes the stresses being placed on the steering). And, off topic, if you've ever done extended off road motorcycling you'll understand the endurance factor!!!

The above allows me to use the base of either thumb to push the button and my ring and middle fingers to pull. This works wonderfully with my personal interface with the steering wheel. I've never accidentally shifted, as some people report. Other hand positions may not be as compatible.

As Adias points out, the redundancy (ability to upshift or downshift from either side) is nice to have. But it goes beyond that. The buttons let me shift with very minimal adjustment to my steering interface. The paddles force me to adjust more. I'll admit it takes some acceptance and adaptation. But not that much.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Nein Elf
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Personal Preference versus Differences in Attributes

Originally Posted by anhoman
In a million years I was never going to buy a Tip car or a Cabro. Yet here I am with both. I am old and learned to drive on a stick. In the 80s and early 90s I was a Porsche Tech and laughed at the thought of a non-manual trans. I am surprised how much I enjoy it though. Anybody else change their minds? I don't track the car just drive it for fun and to work occasionally. My next will be a PDK so looking for opinions on that. I tracked a GT3 with PDK and loved it.
I think you touched on an important point, "I am surprised how much I enjoy it." That matters a lot to your satisfaction and desire to both drive and own the car long-term. The performance differences flip flop when going from Tip vs Stick to PDK vs Stick, but even then that is just one attribute that goes into the decision making process. I will say this if you like the overall Tiptronic driving experience I predict you will like PDK even more. My wife and I test drove a 2008 C4S Tip and then what would become our 2009 C2 PDK. We liked both, but were sold on the feel of the manual mode PDK. Thanks for sharing your observations and enjoy your beautiful Cab.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The Tiptronic S is a good transmission (made by Mercedes). It has several shifting maps which are chosen adaptively, i.e., the controller senses the driving style - throttle application profile and braking. Thus, it can be ver lazy or be responsive. Like anything the driver also needs to adapt to it, understand it to take full advantage. Off the street a stick-shift jockey not willing to learn will dismiss it as garbage or granny-tranny; that is not the case.
Never owned one but have driven tip cars. Almost fail proof based on what I've read about it. Many 997.1 Turbos were ordered with tip. Quicker on the 0-60 run than the manual Turbo. Also a testament to its sturdiness that they held up to the power of the turbo with very few failures or issues in general. Difficult to find actual reports of tip failures no matter which model it was mounted on.

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Different isn't always better, but I like the buttons on my 2010 C4S more than the very well designed paddles on my wife's AMG.
Yes. To me, the buttons have a quicker, more crisp feel to input than the paddles which to me has too long of a throw. Never really thought of that until I rented a Mercedes with paddles. They really nailed it imo. Minimal travel when you pull the paddles. Very short, precise and crisp feel to it. When I got back in my 997 the paddles felt borderline sloppy in comparison which is why I went to using the gear lever in manual mode instead of the paddles.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Depending upon how you hold the steering wheel the buttons may or may not work for you.

FWIW ...

I hold the wheel just above 9 and 3.

I avoid wrapping my thumb inside ... A pet peeve of mine. I was strongly taught to not do so. Older non power steering vehicles could break your thumbs in certain circumstances if your thumb was to the inside. In those mostly off road cases the steering wheel auto spins at blurring speeds, and yes, I've witnessed this multiple times. Picture an off camber hillside where one front wheel lifts and the other digs in and snap steers through the steering box. The leverage of the landscape dominates any amount of grip you can supply to the steering wheel.

I use a very loose grip (almost finger tip). This allows longer drives with less fatigue. Also, the steering wheel gives me more feedback (a firm grip absorbs and minimizes the stresses being placed on the steering). And, off topic, if you've ever done extended off road motorcycling you'll understand the endurance factor!!!

The above allows me to use the base of either thumb to push the button and my ring and middle fingers to pull. This works wonderfully with my personal interface with the steering wheel. I've never accidentally shifted, as some people report. Other hand positions may not be as compatible.

As Adias points out, the redundancy (ability to upshift or downshift from either side) is nice to have. But it goes beyond that. The buttons let me shift with very minimal adjustment to my steering interface. The paddles force me to adjust more. I'll admit it takes some acceptance and adaptation. But not that much.
A masterclass on steering holding and steering feedback.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
To me, the buttons have a quicker, more crisp feel to input than the paddles which to me has too long of a throw. Never really thought of that until I rented a Mercedes with paddles. They really nailed it imo. Minimal travel when you pull the paddles. Very short, precise and crisp feel to it. When I got back in my 997 the paddles felt borderline sloppy in comparison which is why I went to using the gear lever in manual mode instead of the paddles.
The MB paddles are built into a linear guide rather than a pivot. The assembly is fully seated. There is no flex. They pull straight rather than on a curve. The feel is completely different from Porsche paddles. Regardless of the fine MB engineering, I still prefer the Porsche buttons to the MB paddles ... The paddles require more release of the wheel.

I've driven Porsche paddles and was extremely not impressed. I realize this is contrary to my normal adoration of Porsche engineering. So it goes.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:55 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

I haven't driven a tiptronic but I know that for quite a few it is the passion that dare not speak its name... If you're not track-driving and have commuting to do, why not?

One concern on buying one would be that I believe that in default mode the tiptronic gets the car moving in second gear, which is rumored to be potentially bad for the engine in the long run.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

"just absolutely CANNOT stand the weirdass up-down shift selectors on both columns of the steering wheel of any automatic tiptronic and some pdk porsches. It drives me nuts!"

This one is kind of baffling to me. I completely understand people that want a third pedal to feel the engagement of the drivetrain and more part of the machine. As far as what's on the steering wheel who cares? Whether it's a button, a flap, a whatever, on the steering column or mounted to the steering wheel, up this way, down that, ETC. It's still just an electronic signal sent to switch the gears. Once you get used to it and how it works just drive the car. I don't think very many people are so accustomed to flappy paddle gear 'F1" boxes that it makes much difference. If you're simply referring to aesthetics then that's one thing but as far as driving the car I really don't feel like it makes much difference.

Have fun and enjoy your tip tronic!
Old 02-13-2021, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

The MB paddles are built into a linear guide rather than a pivot. The assembly is fully seated. There is no flex. They pull straight rather than on a curve. The feel is completely different from Porsche paddles. Regardless of the fine MB engineering, I still prefer the Porsche buttons to the MB paddles ... The paddles require more release of the wheel.

I've driven Porsche paddles and was extremely not impressed. I realize this is contrary to my normal adoration of Porsche engineering. So it goes.
Great info. Explains it all. Thx.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:48 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by anhoman
In a million years I was never going to buy a Tip car or a Cabro. Yet here I am with both. I am old and learned to drive on a stick. In the 80s and early 90s I was a Porsche Tech and laughed at the thought of a non-manual trans. I am surprised how much I enjoy it though. Anybody else change their minds? I don't track the car just drive it for fun and to work occasionally. My next will be a PDK so looking for opinions on that. I tracked a GT3 with PDK and loved it.
Love my tiptronic especially after doing the paddle shifters mod and softronic tune, it has transformed my c2s

Last edited by 911's; 02-14-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Not being a fan-boy about everything adds credibility, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are plenty of things I don't love about each of my Porsches, but I still keep buying them...

However, the performance of the Tiptronic in my Cayenne is one of them. I would love a much better performance mode when in automatic mode, especially in sport mode, but at least that's in an SUV where it's semi-justifiable.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:11 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

My Cayenne is Tiptronic and I never use the manual Tip .... As for the Auto Tip it's Ok for daily traffic driving and it use to shift weird but I know now how to slightly take my foot off the gas or ease my foot on the gas pedal during acceleration to have the trans shift pretty much where I want it to rather than the other way around. Have said this my 911 is manual and I love it other than in downtown traffic .... I would consider PDK because I know that they are that good but I really love manuals. The manual / auto debate to me is like do you want a summer house in France or Switzerland ?
Old 02-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
My Cayenne is Tiptronic and I never use the manual Tip .... As for the Auto Tip it's Ok for daily traffic driving and it use to shift weird but I know now how to slightly take my foot off the gas or ease my foot on the gas pedal during acceleration to have the trans shift pretty much where I want it to rather than the other way around. Have said this my 911 is manual and I love it other than in downtown traffic .... I would consider PDK because I know that they are that good but I really love manuals. The manual / auto debate to me is like do you want a summer house in France or Switzerland ?
I wish there was a way to keep it from shifting up that results in the rpms not falling below 2,000 rpm ever. I think maybe with PSM off it will do this, but don't always want to eliminate that safety net.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I wish there was a way to keep it from shifting up that results in the rpms not falling below 2,000 rpm ever. I think maybe with PSM off it will do this, but don't always want to eliminate that safety net.
That's the way I remember it. PSM off is like sport mode, still there but less aggressive stability with sharper throttle response and higher rpm. I really miss my Cayenne it was like a muscle car.

Last edited by myltz400; 02-13-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not being a fan-boy about everything adds credibility, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are plenty of things I don't love about each of my Porsches, but I still keep buying them...

However, the performance of the Tiptronic in my Cayenne is one of them. I would love a much better performance mode when in automatic mode, especially in sport mode, but at least that's in an SUV where it's semi-justifiable.
I appreciate what you say Pete. Just to be clear, I've never met a non DCT auto transmission that I like. Even in an SUV, van, or truck. It's only the shifting interface that I'm commenting on.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic love ?