How to hand turn engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
That was my first thought, and what I’d do on any other car.
You can't get a wrench on it. The carrier braces are almost up against the crank wheel. If you ever changed a serp belt, you know you have to twist the belt sideways to slide it between the crank and frame.

There is no need to know which way the engine turns. If you are in a forward gear, 6th, then you turn the wheel accordingly as if the car is moving forward.

The question is how far to turn the wheel to move the piston a given distance... to find bottom dead center. For that, I inserted a stiff weed wacker line into the hole and marked the depth with sharpie, then turned in small increments.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
anewman (10-08-2020), Mike Murphy (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:51 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You can't get a wrench on it. The carrier braces are almost up against the crank wheel. If you ever changed a serp belt, you know you have to twist the belt sideways to slide it between the crank and frame.

There is no need to know which way the engine turns. If you are in a forward gear, 6th, then you turn the wheel accordingly as if the car is moving forward.

The question is how far to turn the wheel to move the piston a given distance... to find bottom dead center. For that, I inserted a stiff weed wacker line into the hole and marked the depth with sharpie, then turned in small increments.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
You’re still here, so I guess there was no scoring?
The following users liked this post:
Tj40 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 282 Posts

A perfect scenario for an excuse to spend a day in the garage. He has a new toy, the boroscope to play with, he has new plugs to install, he knows his oil reports are good or better, he is curious about all things, he doesn't have to crawl under the car and he really does not want to kill himself which would be another project. Therefore he has taken a safe route in scoping a mid mileage 997.2. I wish more people would take on more "day in the garage days". You learn stuff. We will get to see the pics and story from his expedition. Thanks Bruce, Bruce-Bruce.....
( the wear dimples on the rear brake rotors are still there but getting smaller).
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 973 Posts

Update:

See the results from my plug change: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16953765

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: How to hand turn engine?