Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo S PDK stuck in second gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

This is probably for the Transmission Control Unit (TCU or sometimes TCM) which is the electronic brains of the PDK and is located inside the car. The PDK unit itself just has solenoids and sensors and doesn't have any actual smarts inside the transmission.

The fault code documentation I have doesn't have P0700 for some reason but the others in the P070x series are all faults with the TCU. The description Robert found above references the Tiptronic so I'm not sure its right for the PDK. It seems like it's the TCU though based on what was described and how quickly he's getting the car back. The warranty invoice may show the replaced part PN hopefully.

The TCU is located behind the driver side door in the 997 as shown here. The cost is around $700 from a dealer with wholesale pricing like Sunset.

Last edited by PV997; 10-10-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
robert_ny_cars (10-14-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
This is probably for the Transmission Control Unit (TCU or sometimes TCM) which is the electronic brains of the PDK and is located inside the car. The PDK unit itself just has solenoids and sensors and doesn't have any actual smarts inside the transmission.

The fault code documentation I have doesn't have P0700 for some reason but the others in the P070x series are all faults with the TCU. The description Robert found above references the Tiptronic so I'm not sure its right for the PDK. It seems like it's the TCU though based on what was described and how quickly he's getting the car back. The warranty invoice may show the replaced part PN hopefully.

The TCU is located behind the driver side door in the 997 as shown here. The cost is around $700 from a dealer with wholesale pricing like Sunset.
Interesting. If there are no smarts inside the PDK, any idea why my failure required full replacement due to the codes they pulled indicating the failure was electronics related? Even my service advisor kind of rolled his eyes. "Could be a $200 or $500 part but we're not allowed to go there" was his comment. Makes little sense if all the electronic components are located outside the actual PDK unit.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:55 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

There are still a lot of sensors in the PDK. Every rod that moves is double sensed. Temperature is sensed. And more.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

More reasons to STAY AWAY from PDK on the used market! I do not know if the 991/992 PDK boxes are more modular or not? But to have an unserviceable transmission is a recipe for disaster. Luckily, OP issue might be a control module outside of PDK which is still annoying to make a car undrivable due to electronics.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Interesting. If there are no smarts inside the PDK, any idea why my failure required full replacement due to the codes they pulled indicating the failure was electronics related? Even my service advisor kind of rolled his eyes. "Could be a $200 or $500 part but we're not allowed to go there" was his comment. Makes little sense if all the electronic components are located outside the actual PDK unit.
My tech buddy at the dealership also said they could easily replace control unit if problems as well as I had a warning light 8k miles ago driving down the interstate with NO logged error codes and NO symptoms.

I think I commented to him something about that light being a precursor to pdk replacement and his exact comment to me "shouldn't be, had not replaced a pdk in a 997.2 ever and electronic stuff is an easy fix with control module."

Still find in interesting that guys driving around with M96/97 engines that grenade themselves at horribly high rates for scoring and a several other issues as well to the tune of $35k to $30k say they would never own a pdk which has a much lower failure rate and costs perhaps half of what it costs to rebuild or replace a NA 997.1 engine.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

Still find in interesting that guys driving around with M96/97 engines that grenade themselves at horribly high rates for scoring and a several other issues as well to the tune of $35k to $30k say they would never own a pdk which has a much lower failure rate and costs perhaps half of what it costs to rebuild or replace a NA 997.1 engine.
But when you grenade a 997.1 engine and spend that money, you end up with something far more reliable and higher performing (assuming a 4.0 FSI build at the number you quoted) than what you started with, and had the problem with. With the PDK, you spend that money and have exactly the same thing you started with before, with no performance or reliability improvement.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:26 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
More reasons to STAY AWAY from PDK on the used market! I do not know if the 991/992 PDK boxes are more modular or not? But to have an unserviceable transmission is a recipe for disaster. Luckily, OP issue might be a control module outside of PDK which is still annoying to make a car undrivable due to electronics.
Here is my thread describing my light sequence, a screen shot of my error codes and me in this post conveying exactly what my dealer tech told me about never seen pdk failure in a 911 or had to replace a pdk in 911 and that they could easily replace control module if an electronic issue which he himself had done before.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16707729

Again, so ironic people driving around with M96/97 engines which have an abysmal record and failure rate over the years and costs almost 2X as much to rebuild or replace than the pdk replacement are so quick to complain and be vocal about pdk

On top of that, we get internet weird0 types like on the above thread posting fake news and fake failure rate statistics for God knows why what have been around the brand for about 5 minutes. I have owned 911s, raced and taught for PCNA, PCA and PDE since the 80s, have pretty good connections that shoot straight with me and I have asked many about pdk.

I can tell you that M96/97 issues are on EVERYONE's radar screen, but pdk problems in 911s are not though I do hear about issues with pdks in Macan and Panamera which I am told is a different unit experiencing a different type of failure. Sure transmission failures happen and happen with every brand, but so far 911 pdk failure apparently have not reached a level where guys having been with Porsche on the service side 25 and 30 years are hearing about them being a potential issue.
ADias (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 09:28 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Like Wayne said right above it's the sensors. In particular there's one in the gear case known as a distance (aka displacement) sensor that measures shift rod movement. If this one fails the car throws a P173x fault and the TCU will disable all shifting actions in response (even though the shift mechanism itself is fine). The big problem though is both Porsche and ZF refuse to make a replacement distance sensor available. I contacted ZF with the specific PN and they told me their contract with Porsche forbid them from selling it to the public. Over in the PDK sticky comments we are working on a repair procedure for the distance sensor and hope to be able to publish it soon.

Pretty much everything else in the 911 PDK (solenoids, pressure regulators, temp sensor, pressure sensors, seals) can be accessed and we've tracked down replacement parts. The issue is that unless the dealer really knows the PDK, their flow diagrams will take them right to "replace PDK" for even relatively simple flaws like leaks. (I know as I have all their t-shooting docs.) That's fine if it it's under warranty but unacceptable for someone paying out of pocket.

The good thing is that so-called "PDK failures" usually aren't, they are an issue with the TCU or gear shifter sensor (i.e. the gear shift control in the car). Both are less than $1k to fix and easily accessible.

I find comments like "stay away from the PDK" frustrating as they aren't fact-based but based on emotion and an incomplete knowledge. It's like saying don't go outside because you might get hit by lightning. Yes, it could happen and the consequence is high but it's very rare. If worried get an aftermarket warranty.

Edit: I should probably clarify that when I say the PDK has no "smarts" within it I'm referring to computing and decision making capability. The PDK does have electronic in it but they are simple "dumb" components that supply rudimentary data (sensors) or react to simple signaling (solenoids, pressure regulators). This was a really smart decision by Porsche/ZF as the temperature environment inside the PDK is not well-suited for complex components such as microcontrollers. Compare this to the BMW mechtronic that actually put the computer inside the transmission.

Last edited by PV997; 10-11-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:50 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Here is my thread describing my light sequence, a screen shot of my error codes and me in this post conveying exactly what my dealer tech told me about never seen pdk failure in a 911 or had to replace a pdk in 911 and that they could easily replace control module if an electronic issue which he himself had done before.

Again, so ironic people driving around with M96/97 engines which have an abysmal record and failure rate over the years and costs almost 2X as much to rebuild or replace than the pdk replacement are so quick to complain and be vocal about pdk

On top of that, we get internet weird0 types like on the above thread posting fake news and fake failure rate statistics for God knows why what have been around the brand for about 5 minutes. I have owned 911s, raced and taught for PCNA, PCA and PDE since the 80s, have pretty good connections that shoot straight with me and I have asked many about pdk.

I can tell you that M96/97 issues are on EVERYONE's radar screen, but pdk problems in 911s are not though I do hear about issues with pdks in Macan and Panamera which I am told is a different unit experiencing a different type of failure. Sure transmission failures happen and happen with every brand, but so far 911 pdk failure apparently have not reached a level where guys having been with Porsche on the service side 25 and 30 years are hearing about them being a potential issue.
I hear you Doug, it's frustrating. You are right in that the "PDK" in cars other than the 911/Boxter/Cayman are completely different and causes all sorts of confusion. The Macan PDK isn't even made by the same manufacturer.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by alexb76; 10-11-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Whatever dude. Looks like I’ve been around a few years and even more active here than you have been. Ouch! I’ve also tracked in PCA and part of Prosche club, your point being?

M97 engine problems are very well known, and now since PDK IS AGING their problems are also becoming more and more apparent and the fact that they can’t be serviced is a major issue compared to manual transmission. gaslighting people who point this out is ridiculous. You’re probably worried about PDK Issues impacting resale values? Who knows.

If I’m in the market for a used 997.2 or 991/992, I’d definitely pick a manual Over PDK and recommend others to do the same. It’s a liability. You can disagree, And that’s fine.

Last edited by alexb76; 10-11-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:33 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

The 7 speed manual in the 991/992 is basically a PDK with some modifications and is subject to the same issues as the PDK, for example the reverse switch. So, picking a manual may not accomplish much.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:13 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balr14
The 7 speed manual in the 991/992 is basically a PDK with some modifications and is subject to the same issues as the PDK, for example the reverse switch. So, picking a manual may not accomplish much.
Not true. Only applies to 991.1 and I’ve yet to hear 991 manual transmission failing.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
There are still a lot of sensors in the PDK. Every rod that moves is double sensed. Temperature is sensed. And more.
Well based on that it seems "electronics related" covers a lot of ground, both inside and outside the PDK unit itself..
Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PV997
Like Wayne said right above it's the sensors. In particular there's one in the gear case known as a distance (aka displacement) sensor that measures shift rod movement. If this one fails the car throws a P173x fault and the TCU will disable all shifting actions in response (even though the shift mechanism itself is fine). The big problem though is both Porsche and ZF refuse to make a replacement distance sensor available. I contacted ZF with the specific PN and they told me their contract with Porsche forbid them from selling it to the public. Over in the PDK sticky comments we are working on a repair procedure for the distance sensor and hope to be able to publish it soon.

Pretty much everything else in the 911 PDK (solenoids, pressure regulators, temp sensor, pressure sensors, seals) can be accessed and we've tracked down replacement parts. The issue is that unless the dealer really knows the PDK, their flow diagrams will take them right to "replace PDK" for even relatively simple flaws like leaks. (I know as I have all their t-shooting docs.) That's fine if it it's under warranty but unacceptable for someone paying out of pocket.

The good thing is that so-called "PDK failures" usually aren't, they are an issue with the TCU or gear shifter sensor (i.e. the gear shift control in the car). Both are less than $1k to fix and easily accessible.n.
Great insight. Thanks. Sounds exactly like my "failure"

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo S PDK stuck in second gear