The following users liked this post:
Doug H (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 11:33 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
Good luck Doug, I'm rooting for you.
Thanks man! I did get a Fidelity Platinum warranty primarily for the pdk and for bore scoring after seeing Bronz's a few others. I am sure it would be a rather sinking feeling otherwise.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:51 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by roadie13
Unlikely to be battery-related as it happened whilst in motion.
I'd check for stored codes and otherwise drive on for the time being.
im not so sure on this.....a 4 - 5 year old battery not being used on a regular basis is cause for early death........ i have been watching how long the tender is on after driving and amazed at why it does not shut off after a an hour or less. Battery has always been a major issue with PDK s if your battery is mor than 4 years and you are not driving year round it could be the culprit.
The following 2 users liked this post by docdrs:
Doug H (06-15-2020), ekam (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Driving along, get a PASM failure, then a Transmission Emergency Run and then a Drive if Assistant Failure.

Turn off, started up and nothing now. Put a new battery in in October.

No running problems or shifting issues.
Did you have the PDK serviced recently by any chance? What you describe is similar to what I had the day after my 60K mile PDK service. Car went back to the dealer and I got a call the next day to come pick it up. Good to go They fixed whatever the problem was and I've had no problems since. Been about 5,000 miles.

Never got a good explanation for what the problem was so I suspect some kind of screw up during the service process. Good to know the dealers are allowed to and can fix some PDK issues though. The impression I got not too long ago was basically that they couldn't touch them with a few exceptions. Seems like the dealer shops are getting a bit more latitude on working on the PDK's as we move forward. But just guessing here.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:02 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Driving along, get a PASM failure, then a Transmission Emergency Run and then a Drive if Assistant Failure.

Turn off, started up and nothing now. Put a new battery in in October.

No running problems or shifting issues.
Sounds like a power supply problem. Try to track the cable coming out of the battery.
Also check the alternator charging and Car alarm / detection system also causes a voltage problem..
Good luck
Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Hope it was just a low power glitch and not something serious. The GTS is such a great 997. Would hate to see ya let it go especially knowing you looked a long time to find a nice one. Hoping for the best!
paddlefoot64 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Here are the fault codes if anyone is doing research or has any ideas.

Some were caused by my aftermarket radio, but that would not have caused them PASM, Transmissiin Energency Run and Drive Off Assistant Failure.
Anything misbehaving on the canbus network can cause all kinds of weird issues that seem unrelated.

My guesses are It's either something with the aftermarket stereo install or a low battery condition or an alternator problem.

Here's an example where the 3-axis accelerometer that's part of the DSC controller setup in my wife's car went bad.

Doug H (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:54 AM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Anything misbehaving on the canbus network can cause all kinds of weird issues that seem unrelated.

My guesses are It's either something with the aftermarket stereo install or a low battery condition or an alternator problem.

Here's an example where the 3-axis accelerometer that's part of the DSC controller setup in my wife's car went bad.

Pete... that is bizarre. What had to be done to correct?
Doug H (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by PierW
Pete... that is bizarre. What had to be done to correct?
The 3-axis accelerometer was internally shorted. Tom at TPC had not seen that before. It was right after the initial installation quite a few years ago. Replaced that component and car was totally normal again.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:44 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
im not so sure on this.....a 4 - 5 year old battery not being used on a regular basis is cause for early death........ i have been watching how long the tender is on after driving and amazed at why it does not shut off after a an hour or less. Battery has always been a major issue with PDK s if your battery is mor than 4 years and you are not driving year round it could be the culprit.
A low battery can cause all kinds of errors for sure, especially just after starting the car. But once the engine is running the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator provides 14 Volt and change to the car continuously, so at this point you could take the battery out of the car and it would not matter, until you stop of course.. Maybe PDK cars have peak demands that need to draw on the battery near engine idle speeds?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, I talked to my buddy who is service advisor and an actual Porsche factory tech himself. He said they not seen any 911 pdk failures or had to replace a pdk in a 911 that he recalled, but they have had a few Macan pdks which he stated were different.

He did say my issue if any would be control module and the control module is external and can be replaced.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:11 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

FWIW, I talked to my buddy who is service advisor and an actual Porsche factory tech himself. He said they not seen any 911 pdk failures or had to replace a pdk in a 911 that he recalled, but they have had a few Macan pdks which he stated were different.

He did say my issue if any would be control module and the control module is external and can be replaced.
Great news! Hope it all works out.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:14 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Yup, all of the smarts is in the TCU (beneath the rear door sill) and you can get a new replacement module for ~$800. The PDK transmission itself only has four sensor types, two solenoids, and six pressure regulators. These use simple analog or PWM interfaces to the TCU and don't have anything to do with the CAN bus. When these fail you get distinct PDK Pxxxx failure codes.

Good to read your friend has not seen any failures in 911 PDKs. The 911/Boxster/Cayman all use the same PDK (with minor variations) which are different from that used in the Panameras and SUVs.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:37 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PV997
Yup, all of the smarts is in the TCU (beneath the rear door sill) and you can get a new replacement module for ~$800. The PDK transmission itself only has four sensor types, two solenoids, and six pressure regulators. These use simple analog or PWM interfaces to the TCU and don't have anything to do with the CAN bus. When these fail you get distinct PDK Pxxxx failure codes.

Good to read your friend has not seen any failures in 911 PDKs. The 911/Boxster/Cayman all use the same PDK (with minor variations) which are different from that used in the Panameras and SUVs.
Granted, he is the service tech advisor at Nashville Porsche and has been so since 2018ish. He was a tech working on the cars at Nashville Porsche before that, but his experience is limited to one store in not a super huge market. I still think that is encouraging news that he said they do not see pdks fail and need replacing in 911s. The previous advisor at Nashville Porsche, also a friend of our before he worked there, old me they replaced a pdk in a 991.1 that was covered by a Fidelity warranty. he said he was not sure it needed to be replaced, but Fidelity covered it so they replaced it. He told me that in 2017.

Quick Reply: Maybe another PDK crapping out?