Sponsored by:

Installed Sprint Booster v3

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Installed Sprint Booster v3

Just installed, was pretty easy (clip was a tough to remove. Also see: (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ns-w-pics.html)

I have a manual and it definitely makes the car feel faster. Similar to the sport button. Add excitement but wil need more seat time to see if it is worth it.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 PM
zcspec
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I have run similar products on other VW/Audi and have had the similar results. Anytime you're able to remap the pedal inputs, it makes the driving experience that much better. I assume the Sprint Booster allows you to fine tune the settings?
Old 09-27-2020, 07:30 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Yes, on, sport and race, and 9 steps for sport and race mode as well.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Hmmm sounds interesting. I will consider doing this. This seems like a similar result (and less $ ?) , but different method compared to Sport chrono , Softronic tune ...

MJ - thanks for posting. Are you saying there are 9 settings - how do you change them, do you have to get under there and manually do something, push /slide a switch?

Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

All the SB does is augment the actual throttle position sensor to something larger. How much larger depends on which more you're in. You can accomplish the exact same thing by pushing the gas pedal farther or faster, or both and still retain the finer throttle control

See how it just gets to max throttle sooner and then there's the flat spot for the rest of the graph.

The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (09-14-2022)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

From what I've seen/read on the interweb, it supposedly electronically opens the throttle quicker which is more of an effect than simply pressing the pedal more. I can relate, when rolling in first at 5 mph, and I mash it I do notice a delay to the WOT so maybe this speeds up the opening and the feel acceleration.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
From what I've seen/read on the interweb, it supposedly electronically opens the throttle quicker which is more of an effect than simply pressing the pedal more. I can relate, when rolling in first at 5 mph, and I mash it I do notice a delay to the WOT so maybe this speeds up the opening and the feel acceleration.
The throttle in a 997 is a drive by wire setup. It gets a position command from the encoder in the throttle pedal. There's only one way to "electronically open the throttle quicker", it's to send it a bigger electronic signal. You know what else sends it a bigger electronic signal, pushing the throttle pedal further. Unless there is some trype of transmission change for Tiptronic shifting, the SB doesn't do anything special.

If you have a Durametric, or obd2 scanner, you can prove it to yourself. Track live values for the TPS driving the same way both with and without the SB installed and notice that for the same pedal pozitjin, the SB shows a bigger #, but once you get to 100% on the reader you'll still have physical pedal travel remaining. Now, disconnect it and try to reproduce those same readings using the throttle pedal by pushing it farther and faster. If you can recreate the map, it will feel exactly the same.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Every SINGLE thread about a SB has someone, who has never used one personally, chime in with the same response. Usually goes something like this “the SB does nothing that you couldn’t accomplish by simply mashing the pedal”, yada yada yada. You are just flat out wrong. These things are the first mod I do to all of my cars. They make an amazing difference. Works great in my 987.2 Cayman, works great in my E550, can’t wait to put one in my 997.2. If you haven’t used one, you shouldn’t comment. Vastly improved throttle response well beyond what you could accomplish on a stock throttle map just flooring it. Doesn’t add any horsepower, nor does it claim to, what it does do is reduce the delay between throttle input and engine response. Night and day. Best $300 I have spent on all of the cars I have put them on. Full stop.

Last edited by 850tgul; 09-27-2020 at 07:35 PM.
1987911coupe (10-03-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Every SINGLE thread about a SB has someone, who has never used one personally, chime in with the same response. Usually goes something like this “the SB does nothing that you couldn’t accomplish by simply mashing the pedal”, yada yada yada. You are just flat out wrong. These things are the first mod I do to all of my cars. They make an amazing difference. Works great in my 987.2 Cayman, works great in my E550, can’t wait to put one in my 997.2. If you haven’t used one, you shouldn’t comment. Vastly improved throttle response well beyond what you could accomplish on a stock throttle map just flooring it. Doesn’t add any horsepower, nor does it claim to, what it does do is reduce the delay between throttle input and engine response. Night and day. Best $300 I have spent on all of the cars I have put them on. Full stop.
The chart from the SB marketing info shows it all. To each they're own. I don't even like the sport mode on my wife's 997 - this is even worse, especially in Race mode.

Drove a 997 with one installed. That 5 minutes was enough for me to know what it did and that I didn't want one.
frybear (10-15-2022)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:36 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Fair enough, I just think the stock throttle mapping is far too dull for my liking. I also rev match on every single gear change as well as heel and toe often and, to me, the SB makes both tactics much easier and smoother.
Having just picked up my first P-car with sport chrono, I can say that I think the difference between sport on and off isn’t huge, so I eagerly await the arrival of my just ordered SB for the 7.2.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

The SB comes with a small switch that has a button and two levers and a display. No light its off. green its in sport, red in race. This is controlled by the switch, then you can fine tune with the levers.

It tightens throttle response by increasing the load more, just like the factory sport button. Obviously Porsche (and BMW) think there is a demand for this, and th SB does it far cheaper. That said to each his own.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:43 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Finally got to drive the car with the SB installed for a long distance. It really makes a big difference. Yes, I can stab more at the throttle and achieve the same results but for me, a more finesse driver, it adds lots of enjoyment. Obviously all the German car companies agree, since they all add sport buttons. Purists can rant away now.

Well worth the extra $300, and sure beats the $1k for the oem sport button.
1987911coupe (10-03-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

"Yes, I can stab more at the throttle and achieve the same results..."

Is that really the case? I thought the SB overides the factory setting of how fast the throttle body opens. In other words, without the SB, no matter how much or fast you press the gas pedal, it only opens at the relative proportionate (lagged) rate as set by Porsche.

Anyway, I ordered last week and waiting on it to arrive and install. Will report back, figured what the heck for a little less than 300 clams, gives me something to play with it with and potential enjoyment factor increase.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:24 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Just added this to my Boxster S that does not have sport button. Wow, to my surprise, night and day difference in throttle response with the booster added. This does NOT add horsepower, but when activated makes the car feel so much more torquey and powerful down low, due to the faster throttle opening when sport/race is activated. I have factory sport/chrono on my 911 C4S and Cayman S. I actually like the sprint booster's response and ability to fine tune the throttle settings more than the oem factory sport button. At $290 bucks, it is worth every penny if your car does not come with sport/chrono button from factory. Made me laugh out loud because it was fun to feel the difference.. Race mode is almost too sensitive. First time I used race mode it caught me by surprise, because it revs up so fast and it is tough to pull away from stop, but you can dial it back as needed. Sport mode is just about right out of the box.
jbkusa (09-12-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 10:42 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Update to my post from 2020. I’ve had the SB on my 6MT 997.2 for almost 2 years now and, I’ll say it again, the best $300 I’ve spent on the car. Also added one to my dual pulley S5 and love it. Just added another one to my 6MT E82 128i and love it! I’ve literally put like 6 or 7 of these things on my cars and have never been disappointed.
The following 2 users liked this post by 850tgul:
jbkusa (09-12-2022), PatrickBateman (10-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Installed Sprint Booster v3