Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Sprint Booster v3

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 12:42 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

If your car doesn’t have sport chrono/ sport plus this is a very worthy mod.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:28 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I liked this so much on my Boxster S, that I purchased a 2nd one and added it to my 997.1 Carrera 4S this weekend. I love that I can dial in the throttle response with up to 18 different settings. This also remembers the last setting when car is off. So when you start back up you do not have to hit the sport button. My C4S came stock with Sport Chrono Sport button, but after playing with this on my Boxster I realized there is more to fun to be had by adding it on top of/in conjunction with my Sport Chrono 911. This is like adding Sport +++++++ button. From Mild to Wild throttle response. You can dial in as much as you want. I highly recommend it. Really wakes up the throttle response.
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 08:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

After watching a couple comparison videos of how this actually modifies the throttle inputs, I've changed my mind about it's usefulness. Realizing that it not only augments the throttle inputs, which is meh, the important part is that it electronically moves the plate faster than the OEM parameters will allow it to move even if it was a binary switch from zero throttle to full throttle.

Once I get things sorted back out with my car, I might try one for fun. Being able to snap 475-485 supercharged HP to the rear wheels in the blink of an eye in race mode might be really exciting.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
850tgul (09-13-2022), frybear (10-15-2022), jbkusa (09-12-2022), PatrickBateman (10-17-2023)
Old 09-13-2022, 07:07 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

For those thinking about it or have one on order. It takes quite the yoga moves to get into the pedal area. I suggest taking the extra 20 seconds to remove the pedal completely, rather than just trying to unplug the clip from the top alone. Undo the one screw that holds the pedal in place. Once that screw is removed you slide the gas pedal UP and out of a slot.. The clip is a strange one. You slide the release clip tab out first. Then gently push down and try to wiggle the connection off. I actually ended up using a small screw driver and manually lifting the release clip from the opposite direction. It was being a little bugger for me. Just try not to break any tabs or snaps, but a little prying will pop it right off. I took some time and ran the little controller in to my ash tray. Removed the little white plastic light cover in the ash tray for the hole for the wire to run through. Removed my stick shift boot and used a wire hanger to run through there along the center console towards the gas pedal. Took 10-15 minutes to run that plus another 5-10 minutes to install the sprint booster on the pedal.

The following 3 users liked this post by qikqbn:
ATX_Native (09-14-2022), PatrickBateman (10-17-2023), PhillyNate (09-13-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 05:32 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

I like the idea of electronically moving the plate faster, but don't really care to have mapping changed. Is there a setting for faster flap only?
Old 09-14-2022, 07:58 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hootsama
I like the idea of electronically moving the plate faster, but don't really care to have mapping changed. Is there a setting for faster flap only?
Not quite sure how you can have throttle plate open faster without a mapping adjustment.
There are 2 modes. Sport and Race. Each mode has 9 settings. You can dial in as much as you like. Feels like a very natural progression to me from mild to wild. Sport and race mode are set at 5 out of the box. Race mode is where I find it can get too sensitive in city driving and pulling away from stop lights in a manual stick shift, but works well when blasting in the canyons or on the track. Sport mode at 5 was a nice, noticeable difference, but manageable to get away from the stop lights and not burn your clutch over revving. Everyone has different tastes and this is a nice modification that you can dial in or is easily reversible if for some reason you don't like it.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Not quite sure how you can have throttle plate open faster without a mapping adjustment.
There are 2 modes. Sport and Race. Each mode has 9 settings. You can dial in as much as you like. Feels like a very natural progression to me from mild to wild. Sport and race mode are set at 5 out of the box. Race mode is where I find it can get too sensitive in city driving and pulling away from stop lights in a manual stick shift, but works well when blasting in the canyons or on the track. Sport mode at 5 was a nice, noticeable difference, but manageable to get away from the stop lights and not burn your clutch over revving. Everyone has different tastes and this is a nice modification that you can dial in or is easily reversible if for some reason you don't like it.
Thank you! That's extremely helpful practical insight.
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (09-15-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:44 AM
Kwmeo
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed a pedal commander on my 997.2 feels much better throughout the gears
Old 09-19-2022, 03:47 PM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the v3 SB last week on my 2009 manual. The throttle response in race mode (red) is amazing, but makes it very easy to stall in daily driving scenarios. This might be because I also did the clutch switch delete, and that alone also made the car easier to stall. I settled on sport 9 since the initial pedal feel is soft enough to allow for better control in stop and go traffic, while mid range to WOT is greatly improved over stock.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nerdnic
I installed the v3 SB last week on my 2009 manual. The throttle response in race mode (red) is amazing, but makes it very easy to stall in daily driving scenarios. This might be because I also did the clutch switch delete, and that alone also made the car easier to stall. I settled on sport 9 since the initial pedal feel is soft enough to allow for better control in stop and go traffic, while mid range to WOT is greatly improved over stock.
I thought the clutch switch mod caused an error code on the .2s. Someone had tried it and after a couple days got an error that those of us with .1s never get.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:29 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by nerdnic
I would guess it's the clutch switch delete. I have found that the SB makes car less likely to stall given it makes the throttle respond quicker.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:37 PM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I thought the clutch switch mod caused an error code on the .2s. Someone had tried it and after a couple days got an error that those of us with .1s never get.
It does cause a dash error but I just toggle it away and carry on.

Originally Posted by 850tgul
I would guess it's the clutch switch delete. I have found that the SB makes car less likely to stall given it makes the throttle respond quicker.
I'll have to try with it back on, I'm curious now how it would feel. I agree the throttle response is faster, and you'd think that stalling would be harder because of this. The issue is that you know the throttle response is faster, so you give less gas to avoid high rev starts and cause bog/stalls as a result. At least this is what my brain/foot is doing. Maybe I'm just bad at this

Last edited by nerdnic; 09-19-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:01 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

sorry for the ignorance, but why is it advantages to remove the clutch switch???
Old 09-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
sorry for the ignorance, but why is it advantages to remove the clutch switch???
You jumper the wires to it, not actually remove it. The car changes the timing as the clutch is releasing. It causes that weird farting exhaust tone that some people hear and kind of disconnects the linear feel of the clutch. It's done so inexperienced manual drivers are less likely to stall the car when leaving a stop.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
You jumper the wires to it, not actually remove it. The car changes the timing as the clutch is releasing. It causes that weird farting exhaust tone that some people hear and kind of disconnects the linear feel of the clutch. It's done so inexperienced manual drivers are less likely to stall the car when leaving a stop.
first time hearing about it, didn't know it was a "mod" people did. I thought the switch was just there for starting the car when the clutch pedal is in. thanks for reply

Quick Reply: Installed Sprint Booster v3