Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono vs. Sport Chrono Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 06:56 PM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Sport Chrono vs. Sport Chrono Plus

As a recent (and first time) buyer of an '05 Carrera S, I try to read and understand all the options and features my new (to me) 997.1 has. As I parse through the numbers listed on my option build sheet, I see that I have the Sport Chrono Plus (640) option. I'm definitely a car guy and I know it's probably a bit like the "Sport" button on my BMW where it mostly just remaps the throttle. But based on some articles I've read and the owner's manual description this goes a lot further than that. I also noticed while going through an all inclusive list of options for my model year that there was another similar Sport Chrono (639) option available. Sadly being the car geek that I am I want to know the difference between the two. Is there a difference? Is it one name on a manual transmission car (which I have) and another name for a car with an automatic transmission? Or is it something totally different? From what I see in this forum there are guys that know everything there is to know about everything so I'm guessing this is an easy one.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...package-376273
Old 09-17-2020, 10:02 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

https://philipraby.co.uk/sport-chron...che-997-option
Old 10-05-2020, 06:06 PM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the links, now for new questions. Since I have the Sports Chrono Plus option and do not have the stopwatch (which I wish I had) is it possible to add it? Did that option have a :factory cut out in the dash to mount it? For instance was that dashboard specially equipped or is it simply modded in some way to mount the stopwatch? In MHO the stopwatch looks great on the dash and I also think it could add to the fun of driving.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:24 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by russpe
In MHO the stopwatch looks great on the dash and I also think it could add to the fun of driving.
The stopwatch looks great... however, not many on this forum use the timepiece.

I used it to amusingly "kill time" once - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15663349

Old 10-05-2020, 06:36 PM
russpe
Rennlist Member

OK, so basically useless but we can agree that it's pretty d@mn cool looking right? Soooo, can I add it to my 997.1 S?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

It makes a great sunglass holder, otherwise i ignore it.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:21 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

How can you have Sport Chrono Plus and not have the chrono on the dash?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Gene_GaTech
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, so basically useless but we can agree that it's pretty d@mn cool looking right? Soooo, can I add it to my 997.1 S?
If you look locally, you just might find someone who wants to trade dashboards with you who had the sport chrono!
Old 10-06-2020, 01:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Thanks for the links, now for new questions. Since I have the Sports Chrono Plus option and do not have the stopwatch (which I wish I had) is it possible to add it? Did that option have a :factory cut out in the dash to mount it? For instance was that dashboard specially equipped or is it simply modded in some way to mount the stopwatch? In MHO the stopwatch looks great on the dash and I also think it could add to the fun of driving.
Originally Posted by southbay
How can you have Sport Chrono Plus and not have the chrono on the dash?

You can add sport chrono to a car that was built without it from the factory. Doing that you get all the performance features, sport and sport plus but you don't get the wart/timer on the dash. Never heard of anyone adding it to a car that didn't have it but like with everything else, spend enough money and I'm sure some custom outfit can do it if the dealership won't.

A lot of people don't like it and it adds nothing to the performance of the car. I'm neutral on it. Never use it but it looks kind of cool when lit up at night. In case someone doesn't know, the default setting from the factory is that it does not illuminate with the rest of the dash when the lights are turned on. If you want it illuminated along with the rest of the instrument cluster when the lights are turned in, start the timer and then turn it off right away without resetting it. It will then illuminate along with the rest of the cluster when lights are turned on.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:33 AM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Southbay...

Great question!

Old 10-06-2020, 10:59 AM
russpe
Rennlist Member

OK, it's with absolute shame that I have to fess up. It seems the option list I posted that was pasted into my owner's manual, was not the original. Having never owned a 911 I really didn't know what the Sports Chrono Plus option was, and in fact it wasn't why (obviously) I chose the car in the first place. I wanted a black 997.1 CS2 coupe (check) manual transmission (check) clean carfax with medium to low miles (check) reasonably optioned to include power and heated seats with a high end stereo and maybe a few more bells and whistles (check(ish) . Here I say check(ish) because the Bose stereo system is pretty bad and something that I'm replacing next week. So it turns out I do not have the 640 Sport Chrono Plus option after all. Wow, feeling pretty stupid but this is why I am on this forum. I am somewhat in awe of the knowledge and generosity of the great people here who've taken the time share tips and facts in order to educate rubes like me. Thanks and hopefully, like the band says, " We won't be fooled again".
Old 10-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

If you like the look of the wart, you can add it and install a clock in it. There are threads on the forum with information on how to do that. It would actually be useful with a clock in it. I have Sport Chrono Plus and the wart looks neat but is useless for a daily driver like my car. I'd love a clock up there. If Porsche sold a nice-looking branded clock retrofit, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Instead, I do what some others have done and stopped my timer at 9:11 and left it there.

The first time I did it, I hit 9:11 on the second or third try. I had Some work done to my car and when the battery was disconnected the timer reset. It took me about 10 minutes to re-set it this time around.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:34 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

@russpe That makes more sense You can check your car’s build here https://vinanalytics.com/
Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Thanks Southbay.

OK, I ran the VIN check with your link and got an accurate account of the options and even the sale price. Nice touch. No surprises but still a nice list to have in writing. Speaking of options... one of them is heated seats but sadly, they're not working. Once again I dipped into this forum and found that this might not be an electrical issue at all but instead possibly a firmware one (of course I did check the fuses first). And coincidentally it seems like this might also be why my Homelink is not working either. From a few scattered posts I found that I may need to get something called a "handover" procedure done with a PIWIS programmer at the dealership which may possibly have been caused by replacing the battery incorrectly. Do you know anything about this? Is the firmware in these cars so volatile that a simple thing like replacing a battery could corrupt it? And if you have heard of the handover thing, is that description of how I'd articulate my request to the dealer or is there some more technical term?

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono vs. Sport Chrono Plus