Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on this Aerokit 997 (Minor Bore Scoring Found)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

For sure, the safer bet and a nice find with the current setup. Congrats and good luck with it.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:51 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanH.
Thanks everyone, I ended up going on a limb on a 99 996 listed on Autotrader in Long Beach to be pleasantly surprised to find out the owner of the car is the owner of Rasant. Fresh complete engine rebuild (with LN bearing), Ohlins, gundo hack, clutch/brakes/AOS/etc... should mean that I have a cheap, good drivers car to hold me over for a few years until I can splurge on a no-holds-barred aircooled build.

very nice! specs and price if you dont mind me asking...996 prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months (even more than 997s)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by slowslowcar
very nice! specs and price if you dont mind me asking...996 prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months (even more than 997s)
Attached are the specs of the engine rebuild and service done under the last owner. Mileage is 90k. Paint condition is okay but it's been resprayed and I'm not convinced it was a glass out respray. I need to clay bar it and clean off a bunch of compound from the seals so I'll have a better idea over the weekend. Has a Sony head unit with a backup camera. Interior was fine for the age, I just finished cleaning up the seats with Doc's black cleaner and they look significantly better. There's a small star in the windshield. The door window seals should probably be replaced and the Alternator cable needs to be replaced as it has the slow start issue.

Paid...drumroll...$25k. All in all, I feel like it's a good price and a lot of the items I would've wanted to do to other 996s is already done, so this should be a good bang for the buck for the next couple years without costing much.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
996 Build Sheet.pdf (531.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:13 AM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanH.
Attached are the specs of the engine rebuild and service done under the last owner. Mileage is 90k. Paint condition is okay but it's been resprayed and I'm not convinced it was a glass out respray. I need to clay bar it and clean off a bunch of compound from the seals so I'll have a better idea over the weekend. Has a Sony head unit with a backup camera. Interior was fine for the age, I just finished cleaning up the seats with Doc's black cleaner and they look significantly better. There's a small star in the windshield. The door window seals should probably be replaced and the Alternator cable needs to be replaced as it has the slow start issue.

Paid...drumroll...$25k. All in all, I feel like it's a good price and a lot of the items I would've wanted to do to other 996s is already done, so this should be a good bang for the buck for the next couple years without costing much.
seems like the price reflects the quality mods and significant work done to the car. Thanks for sharing. Looks awesome
Old 09-17-2020, 12:17 AM
ianbwestcott
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
As a purchaser Its better to have the results from the test, than not have the results, and assume that its fine.
Doing that, you end up like the guy that bought Deezy's Targa, and you have a failure before you get the car back home.. Then you are disappointed, and disgusted. He won't see his car again till July of 2021, since it's stirring here in queue to be built. Yes, not only did it fail, but it also had bore scoring that would have been very apparent with any level of invasive PPI. That's all the buyer's fault, and he knows that..

At least, if you decide to buy a car that has scoring, you know exactly what you are getting into, before you stroke the check.
Hi Jake,

I'd like your thoughts on the nature of bore scope readings like these, specifically with respect to scoring vs normal wear patterns. The reason I ask is because I've been building motorcycle race engines for nearly 20 years, and virtually every used cylinder I've ever examined has exhibited vertical markings in the (primarily Nikasil) coating. Sometimes this is clearly scoring, but in many cases, it is a typical wear pattern that cannot be felt with a fingernail. In these cases a simple ball hone is sufficient to refresh the crosshatch in the cylinder and new rings (and piston if necessary) will bring the engine back to spec. Since it's not possible to manually examine the markings on a Porsche cylinder without disassembly, I'm curious if you've run across--for lack of a better term--false positives for bore scoring in cylinders that haven't sustained any physical damage but exhibit misleading wear markers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for your time, your contribution to this forum is greatly appreciated,

Ian

Quick Reply: Need advice on this Aerokit 997 (Minor Bore Scoring Found)