PIWIS programming F@#$-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:13 PM
paulincanada
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PIWIS programming F@#$-up

Hello

I just received my PIWIS hardware a few weeks ago and got the software up and running...

I accidentally made some changes and have lost the Tire Pressure Monitoring functions on the centre/center instrument display...I can't seem to be able to get to back.

edit - I also seem to have lost the green cruise control light - cruise control works but the indicator light seems to have stopped working

edit - this is for a 2008 C2S

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Paul

Last edited by paulincanada; 09-10-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 159K miles

Is there a "reset" dash module or something similar in there? My Durametric has the ability to individually reset the various modules.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-10-2020, 08:30 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Paul - You can run the PIWIS in simulation mode (not hooked up to the car) and open and read the various menus. You might want to try that and grab some screenshoots of the TPM settings that you can then compare against the settings when you hook back up to your car. Before you change anything more on the car capture screenshots of the configuration so you can get back where you were.

I have a PIWIS and can compare my settings against what you have once you get it documented.

Edit: BTW, simulation mode will be the example car that came with the software (not your car) so it should provide a pretty good reference.

Last edited by PV997; 09-10-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:17 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

At the very least, you need to recode the instrument cluster for your TPMS option (several different MHz). But it really depends on what you were changing/depleting and how far you went.
More information on what was done/modified might help direct you on where to go, especially when it comes to Maintenance Vehicle Data, handovers etc.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Always, always, create a backup of the module before changing any coding so you can reload the previous setup if you run into an issue.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I took a look at the TPMS settings on my PIWIS 2 last night. There is a "TPMS" configuration menu that sets up the various parameters used by the TPMS (frequency, AWD, etc.). Then there is the "Instrument panel" configuration menu that sets up how the TPMS information is displayed in the cluster. There weren't any obvious TPMS configuration items in other menus that I saw, but it's possible changing top-level settings (country code, model type, etc.) could also affect it.

What menu were you playing with when this happened and what were you trying to do? As Ptech noted more info is needed as there are multiple settings that could be the cause.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Not sure what happened to the OP but I'm going to post some PIWIS instructions here to help make sure this doesn't happen to other people.

Before you do anything with the PIWIS 2 create a Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL). Here are the instructions from @boblo over in the 991 forum:

"It's not intuitive at all and there may be a better way... but select diagnostics and your model and go through a prompt or two and it should ask you if you want to create a VAL (vehicle analysis log). It takes 5 minutes or so. Once it's done I couldn't find any way to view the report within PIWIS, but you can open My computer to browse files, goto C drive, then Userdata, then PIDT. Two folders - Ansicht and Versenden - both contain the VAL in a ZIP file, not sure what the difference is. Open one of them, then click the FAP folder, then unzip the file called FAP_yourvin.zip. Finally, right click the FAP_yourvin.xml file and click open in -> PIWIS Viewer."

I'd tried this in the past but could never figure out how to view the file, following Joe's directions worked beautifully. I just reviewed the file and it includes a record of every single configuration setting (as far as I can tell) in the car in addition to everything else you can imagine.

Last edited by PV997; 09-14-2020 at 11:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sebastianPT (06-12-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2020, 09:34 PM
paulincanada
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys

I am back and happy to report that I was able to get back all the functionality I lost. Using PIWIS I went into the Instrument Cluster selection and used the Basic(managed) function to reprogram...it seemed to have restored everything.

Thanks for the information about the VAL, I will use that in the future.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by paulincanada; 09-15-2020 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: PIWIS programming F@#$-up