Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console worn out

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020 | 03:13 PM
mi9life_cr1s1s
1st Gear

Default Center console worn out

Hi all! Porsche newb here as I just picked a 997.2 C2 a couple of months ago with over 100k miles but in overall good mechanical shape. The interior though, is kinda rough, but nothing unexpected from a car that has been driven a lot for over a decade.

My interior is Sea Blue and the center console is obviously in that color as well but it has suffered multiple chips and scratches. The previous owner was nice enough to include a brand new center console piece that I will need to install it myself but it is in black. I have done some research and there is a possible way to get some paint from SEM to spray the new piece to match the Sea Blue? Or should I just touch up my the damaged spots instead? The new center console piece does not include bottom part of the PDK shifter nor the center console armrest (I will have to use the original pieces) so I am afraid once it is painted, it may not match very well.

Curious to see what the other owners have done once their interior becomes a bit worn, thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2020 | 03:22 PM
bschurr
Racer

Originally Posted by mi9life_cr1s1s
Hi all! Porsche newb here as I just picked a 997.2 C2 a couple of months ago with over 100k miles but in overall good mechanical shape. The interior though, is kinda rough, but nothing unexpected from a car that has been driven a lot for over a decade.

My interior is Sea Blue and the center console is obviously in that color as well but it has suffered multiple chips and scratches. The previous owner was nice enough to include a brand new center console piece that I will need to install it myself but it is in black. I have done some research and there is a possible way to get some paint from SEM to spray the new piece to match the Sea Blue? Or should I just touch up my the damaged spots instead? The new center console piece does not include bottom part of the PDK shifter nor the center console armrest (I will have to use the original pieces) so I am afraid once it is painted, it may not match very well.

Curious to see what the other owners have done once their interior becomes a bit worn, thanks in advance!
congrats on the new ride!

Check this out —> https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post16787621
The following users liked this post:
mi9life_cr1s1s (09-02-2020)
Old 09-03-2020 | 12:39 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

You could swap it with a painted console from Bumperplugs dot com.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (09-06-2020)
Old 09-03-2020 | 09:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What kind of seats do you have? If sport seats with the volcano grey backs, maybe have the console sprayed to match that, which them, which will then tie into the radio surround color and the trim on the steering wheel. Then use some floor mats in the same color and you'll create kind of a cool two tone blue and grey interior theme. If the wheels are also factory silver, the exterior will get visually tied to the interior.

If the seats are regular comfort seats so blue everywhere, if have the new console done in matching sea blue leather. Contact Classic 9 leather works for that and they can do stitching on itn that matches the dash and door stitching too.
Old 09-03-2020 | 02:27 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Could remove the paint and have it painted to match the exterior or dipped in carbon fiber. I just removed all the paint on mine, huge PITA, but worth it, and I had it dipped in carbon fiber, will post picture soon, waiting on the final clear coat from the shop that did it for me, and it was a cost effective route.
Old 09-04-2020 | 07:34 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Not to hijack the thread, but did they ever have an embossed arm rest in sea blue? Where would a person procure one?
Old 09-04-2020 | 08:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coaldrag413
Not to hijack the thread, but did they ever have an embossed arm rest in sea blue? Where would a person procure one?
Suncoast may have it available. You can find a part number in PET and add the digits for sea blue color st the end.

Old 09-05-2020 | 03:20 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coaldrag413
This is the part number for sea blue with Porsche crest. You can also buy from here.

997553991053s9

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7CLI.html
Old 09-05-2020 | 04:06 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Just to clarify, you mean hydro dipped to achieve a carbon fiber look or do you mean someone laid carbon fiber fabric on it?

Originally Posted by Skube
Could remove the paint and have it painted to match the exterior or dipped in carbon fiber. I just removed all the paint on mine, huge PITA, but worth it, and I had it dipped in carbon fiber, will post picture soon, waiting on the final clear coat from the shop that did it for me, and it was a cost effective route.
Old 09-06-2020 | 09:02 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by workhurts
Just to clarify, you mean hydro dipped to achieve a carbon fiber look or do you mean someone laid carbon fiber fabric on it?
Hydro Dipping, just got the parts back yesterday.

Check out my thread on removing the soft touch paint and hydro dipping for some more photos.

Old 09-06-2020 | 09:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hydro Dipping, just got the parts back yesterday.

Check out my thread on removing the soft touch paint and hydro dipping for some more photos.

Looks better than a ratty console, but doesn't look like real CF. Is a hydrondipped finish pretty durable?
Old 09-06-2020 | 09:26 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks better than a ratty console, but doesn't look like real CF. Is a hydrondipped finish pretty durable?
Agreed, at a distance it looks like real CF, but up close you can tell, but for ~$250 it was a lot cheaper, and nearly anything is better than soft touch paint. I have seen the prices for real CF and it is just too rich for me.

It has a thick layer of clear coat over it, so it should be just as durable as paint with clear coat. But this is the first thing I have ever had "dipped".
Old 09-06-2020 | 09:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Agreed, at a distance it looks like real CF, but up close you can tell, but for ~$250 it was a lot cheaper, and nearly anything is better than soft touch paint. I have seen the prices for real CF and it is just too rich for me.

It has a thick layer of clear coat over it, so it should be just as durable as paint with clear coat. But this is the first thing I have ever had "dipped".
Cool. I thought about having the front cowl at the base of the windshield dipped in a CF pattern, but am afraid it won't look like the real CF side mirrors and is too close to them and will be noticeable.

Some of the 3D vinyl CF looks pretty good.
Old 09-07-2020 | 02:22 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

I have a black center console for a manual 997 coupe in fairly good condition if anyone is interested. I'm in SoCal and would prefer not to ship. I bought it a few years ago to upgrade the console in my 997 but I ended up selling the car before I could install it.
Old 09-07-2020 | 08:42 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Cool. I thought about having the front cowl at the base of the windshield dipped in a CF pattern, but am afraid it won't look like the real CF side mirrors and is too close to them and will be noticeable.

Some of the 3D vinyl CF looks pretty good.
I tried to find a place that would do a vinyl wrap, that was my first plan, but I didn't find a place, which was also a combination of me only asking two places, neither responded to my request for a quote, I forgot and then found the hyrdodipping.

Quick Reply: Center console worn out