Sponsored by:

Removing Soft Touch Paint & Hydrodipping Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Removing Soft Touch Paint & Hydrodipping Center Console

Finally got fed up with the soft-touch paint on the center console of my 2009 997.2 C2, and also broke down and bought the Numeric shifter and cables after all the reviews I have read. Decided to turn this into a mostly DIY project, and pulled the center console out, got the shifter and cables installed and spent several weeks (mostly weekends) getting all the soft-touch paint off the center console.

The original look.

The typical worn soft-touch paint...

Note: Whoever decided soft-touch paint was a good idea should be fired, I would rather have piano black, at least piano black lasts and doesn’t break down over time…

Anyway, I read a lot on here and other places on how to remove it and wanted to share my experience, as I tried a bunch of methods;

(1) Adhesive remover; NO

(2) Break cleaner; NO

(3) Simple green; NO

(4) Goof off; Small Area Only with Care

(5) TSP; YES

(6) Denatured alcohol; Not Really

(7) Water (boiling); Not Really, be careful

(8) GOO Gone; NO

(9) Sand paper; NO

(10) Over Cleaner; YES

(11) Pressure Washer; YES

Note: Oven Cleaner didn’t make the picture… (it was in the mail)

Note: Your experience may vary, and use my experience at your own risk, I had come to terms with buying a replacement off eBay, but wanted to try this first; I made it work. Also, with all chemicals, make sure you are in a ventilated area, and have proper PPE for what you are working with!

Things that just flat out didn’t work: GOO Gone, Simple Green, Adhesive Remover, Brake Cleaner, these all just didn’t do anything, or I got bored because they didn’t work fast enough.

Sand Paper: This was a mess, I had a part that was junk and I tried it, the sand paper gets full of the paint quickly and it is a pain. If you use a low grit you will shred the parts, and if you use a high grit you will just give the paint a nice massage and discolor it… bottom line, don’t use sand paper unless it is a small part that just wont come off in another way.

Denatured Alcohol: This sort of worked, it is a bit of a pain to work with and I has better success with other methods.

Water (Boiling): This worked, well sort off, and is not something I would recommend. You need a large pot (or vat in the case of the entire center console) to execute this, it take a long time, and in my case only partially removes it. For me I use this method on the middle/rear part of the center console, I had a large pot, boiled it for like 2+ hours, and the soft touch bubbled and came off the plastic, but basically cooked the rest of it onto the part. I don’t recommend this method, but I read it on another site and tried it. I had to use other methods to get the rest of it off. I would further not recommend this because I believe the time in the boiling water warped my part, I had to use a heat gun to bend it back, and it still isn’t right.

Note the bubbles in the soft touch paint.

Boiling only partially removed the paint...

Goof Off: This works, HOWEVER, it can “burn” the plastic! Be very careful, this worked quickly, but you had to use a lot of it, and the plastic “fuzzed”, so I had to sand it to get it smooth. If you have a hard spot (small) it is great, but not for an entire part.

TSP: This was very highly recommended and I was able to source a gallon of it, and a big blue bin (see pictures) to soak the parts in, I diluted it with water. I used this on my ash tray cover, and after ~1 hr all the soft touch paint just came off, that was the first part I tried, so I went all in on TSP, the wonder chemical, but it didn’t carry through for the remaining parts with the same simple results. I soaked for a week and it didn’t “just fall off” like my first part… I would recommend this, it did mostly work, and was simple, but you need a large bin.

Note: if you need a bin, I don’t need mine anymore, willing to ship at borrowers cost. Or you can buy it here: https://www.zoro.com/orbis-wall-cont...ctid=129771063

You can see here the TSP removed all the soft touch paint, huge initial win!

Soaking the entire thing!

Pressure Washer: This worked, likely out of desperation, after soaking in TSP, I wanted to clean the parts, and felt that it would remove it, it did, you have to get the tip very close, but it came off, and then some minor touch up with a pick finished most of this for me. I would recommend this, but be careful, and be ready to get WET!

Oven Cleaner: This was extremely highly recommended, and I couldn’t source it locally, so I ordered it and tried other things first, mistake, this stuff just works! Be liberal with the application, light sprays don’t do much, but a heavy application will make the soft-touch just orange peel up and you can then wipe it off.

Final Recommendation: Spray with Over Cleaner (heavily), wear PPE, do this outside, rinse clean off with pressure washer, use dental picks, brillo pads, and sandpaper as a must, and Goof Off in extreme situations.

In the end, I got it all cleaner off, I think the methods I used made the plastic look worse than if I used just my final recommendation, but I dropped it off for Hydrodipping and I am currently waiting for it to come back. I will update with final pictures. Tape measure was to remotely get quotes on painting or hydrodipping.

Last edited by Skube; 08-24-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fix text
The following 4 users liked this post by Skube:
997ajk (09-07-2020), Carrera2RS (06-19-2023), ejabour (08-25-2020), VT Blue (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:21 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

So this is car work, not necessarily house cleaning work. The material is a textured automotive paint on plastic. You should sand, (wet sand) with 180 or 220 , then down to 320 and prime with an adhesion promoter, then primer, then sand with 600 or 800 and paint. Another method would be to sand down the majority with 180,220, then prime with filler primer to float out the remaining texture and paint over that.
The texture isnt necessarily do able, so normal base coat clear coat will give finish quality to match the body, to whatever color.
Otherwise you can go thru all kinds of labor and failure, just on the prep. Just do it like the pros would do it.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Sporty

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Thanks for this. Can this be put under the DIY sticky? I have no problem trying oven cleaner if it works when i commit to tackling this project.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

I got my parts back from Hydro Dipping, here are a few photos, I am pretty happy with it, I have a bit of work to get the center console back into the car, so may be a few days until I have "installed" pictures.

The following 7 users liked this post by Skube:
997ajk (09-07-2020), BLU997 (09-07-2020), BucketList (09-07-2020), Chaos (10-25-2020), martini_mike (09-07-2020), spookyjones (10-25-2020), Steve 911 (09-08-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Skube,

I need my center console to look like yours!!! I love the carbon fiber look. Where did you get that done and how much did it cost?

Thank you.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
spookyjones (10-25-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:40 PM
martini_mike
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! That looks pretty damn fantastic. Curious too on ballpark cost and vendor for the Hydro dipping.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by campbesl
Skube,

I need my center console to look like yours!!! I love the carbon fiber look. Where did you get that done and how much did it cost?

Thank you.

Scott
Originally Posted by martini_mike
Wow! That looks pretty damn fantastic. Curious too on ballpark cost and vendor for the Hydro dipping.
Thanks, I paid $250 and had it all prep'ed before I brought it in, and had it done at East Coast Hydrographics in La Plata MD.

I also got the rest of it installed today and I am very happy with it overall.
The following users liked this post:
spookyjones (10-25-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Adding second skin sound deadening material.

Tried a panoramic photo, and the entire console looks warped...

Added another type of sound insulation, I also added more of it once I got the center console installed.

Final Install

Final install

I need to get it out into the sun and take some better pictures!

Last edited by Skube; 09-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Skube:
997ajk (09-07-2020), BLU997 (09-08-2020), Chaos (10-25-2020), Motopilot (09-13-2020), myw (09-08-2020), spookyjones (10-25-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:55 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

This came out very clean, well domes. What is the finish like? Is it clear coat?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:00 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks good! That’s a vast improvement over the soft touch paint. I think if you added some more black, or carbon items it would tie everything together nicely.

Maybe alcantara lower dash?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:26 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Actually looks more sutble than I thought possible, well done.
The black control stack, and dark mats sorta ties it together.
Maybe experiment with a dark lid for armrest, and a dark E brake.
A brave move, bit it works.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone!

Next is a black steering wheel and airbag to tie it together, but I like the idea of the under dash panels and lid/e-brake too, more to experiment with.

It is a clear coat finish, not perfect, but should last longer than OEM.

I forgot how nice it is to have the car back together, this whole process was slow (I took forever) so my car has been in peices for about 3 months as I experimented, installed my numeric shifter and cables and then finally got it painted and back in.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:18 AM
Skube
Rennlist Member

I also did the light switch and key surrounds

Old 10-24-2020, 12:20 AM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Finally got it all together... love the new wheel and the new look.

The following 4 users liked this post by Skube:
415CPA (06-12-2023), bloomjbmw (10-24-2020), Chaos (10-25-2020), Van Larson (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Skube
Finally got it all together... love the new wheel and the new look.

where did you buy your wheel?

Quick Reply: Removing Soft Touch Paint & Hydrodipping Center Console