Sponsored by:

PCM Radio randomly switches station and BLASTS volume

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Kechu
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PCM Radio randomly switches station and BLASTS volume

So, I got my new-to-me 997.2 just some 5 months ago. Low mile, very well taken care, all service history at Porsche dealer. Had no issues until…

Turned on my car, and some 10 sec’s later, the radio station changed and the volume went all the way up!

From that day on, this happens sporadically. Sometimes a week might go by with no issues. Sometimes it happens two or three times during a 40 min drive. It does not matter which station I have turned, it always goes to 102.9 FM.

I am hopeful that this is not a hardware problem, but a software glitch; otherwise it will hurt $$$.

A couple of questions:
  1. Anybody has had such a gremlin on their PCM?
  2. Other than disconnecting the battery, is there a way to restart the PCM? A FULL restart, or some sort of reset to factory original?
  3. Would a firmware update be a solution? How does one do a firmware update?
Anyway, this has been going on for a pair of months now, and it is getting really annoying. Any pointers would be dearly appreciated!

Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 158k miles.

I was waiting to see if anyone responded to you.

I never had this happen. But, to reset, there are no secret button presses to reset the unit. However, buried in the menus is a "factory reset".. Press INFO, OPTION, SET PCM, RESET. Factory Settings is a partial reset and your settings like telephone numbers will be retained. Vehicle Handover is the big erase and everything you entered is lost. Go with Vehicle Handover. You may have to set 12 or 24 hour clock etc.... but you gotta do it.

Others have said to pull fuses and or disconnect the battery. I dunno about this as I have had my battery disconnected for around a week, and nothing appeared reset. But you should give it a try anyway. More here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...pcm-reset.html

If none of this works, you may want to pull out the PCM 3 unit and see if the plugs are in all the way. After dick with it, you can slide the unit back in without turning the locks, leave the side panels off, and see if the problem stops.

Removing the PCM 3 is easy.... I wrote some instruction on my solid state drive DIY replacment thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tructions.html

Regarding a firmware update.... maybe others can chime in, but yes, Porsche has updates, you may or may not have the latest. At a minimum, they can do a re-load. However some have reported that doing this is dicey and some dealers recommend against it... some reports of bricking the whole system. Your dealer can help here.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-27-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:37 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it is the "traffic program service" or TPS or some such.

It works in some countries, but no stations in the US do it. But it can errantly get triggered and I think, it does what you described...
Old 08-28-2020, 06:38 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kechu

Turned on my car, and some 10 sec’s later, the radio station changed and the volume went all the way up!
Teenager onboard?
Old 08-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Larry, I think you are correct! Here is the procedure for turning off that function:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-behavior.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-28-2020, 12:54 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I started a thread about that just a few weeks ago. Phrog was able to direct me to the TPS screen where I disabled it.

In my case, it didn't change the station but it did play music like a radio station--at max volume.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:49 PM
Kechu
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrysb
I think it is the "traffic program service" or TPS or some such.

It works in some countries, but no stations in the US do it. But it can errantly get triggered and I think, it does what you described...
TPS for the win!!!

I disabled it two days ago, and so far, so good.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:50 PM
Kechu
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLU997
Teenager onboard?
not exactly the case, but for sure the cause behind enabling the TPS!!

Quick Reply: PCM Radio randomly switches station and BLASTS volume