Sponsored by:

How do you choose the "right" 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:32 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
A 991.2 S is quicker around Laguna Seca than a 997.2 GT3 RS.

The 991 chassis is that good and I put hp out by the different cars/times to show how the 991 street chassis performs against the 997 GT3/GT2 suspensions with more hp.

Laguna Seca Lap Times:

992 S - 135.52 (450 hp)
997.2 GT2 RS - 135.56 (612 hp)
991.2 S - 136.44 (414 hp)
997.2 GT3 RS - 136.77 (450 hp)
991.1 4S - 139.00 (400 hp)
991.1 S - 139.30 (400 hp)
997.1 GT3 - 139.52 (415 hp)
997.2 Base - 145.00 (345 hp)

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

Similar data for Willow Springs:
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs
Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by barfoo
Missing items from the 2017 997.2:
PASM (is this really an issue?)
Navigation (not critical, I normally use google maps anyway). Can you add Porsche Navigation as an aftermarket add-on? Or does it have to be factory installed?
Seats: I don't see the multi-way electrically adjustable seat option. What is the standard seat on a base Carrera and is it comfortable?
Porsche Dynamic Lighting System (what is this option, anyway?)
Premium package plus (includes the dynamic lighting system among other upgrades)
PASM is a must for me, get DSC controller and it’s life changing. Nav useless, never use. PDLS not critical if don’t drive much at night but love it, it’s really really good when headlights move with steering. PDLS works far better than wife’s X3 with same feature. PDLS, sport Chrono with PASM, and PSE only options I’ll not live without. No idea on manual vs electric seats, never lived with manual.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:40 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like 991 is your preference.
997.1- can get lower mileage loaded 4S and more manuals out there for value c/w newer. Bore score/IMS can be issues, hence more value. 15 yo tech in cabin.
997.2- great package, no IMS, fuel pumps can go bad, 11 yo tech inside, pdk failure does happen but not common but expensive fix
991.1- early years near 997.2 prices, 8 year old tech inside, more GT like but better performance, ventilated seat option nice, sliding glass roof nice imo

manual versus pdk- just make honest decision. Bad knees get pdk. Manual a must, get that. Wife can't drive manual, get pdk. Need a free hand to scratch down below, get pdk. 6 speed or 7, no big deal but better mpg with 7.

narrow body or wide body. Need awd? I wanted wide body, period. I also wanted awd for snow, so C4 or C4S for me worked out.

I love my 997.1, and I loved it even more before I read too much on here about bore scoring. I wanted a 997.x for the older car feel, and am happy with that.

Friend has a 991.1 C4S, it's great, ventilated seats, sliding glass roof, widebody, all weather traction, 2012 with 60k miles for 56k 2 years ago was a great deal then and he's had no issues, pdk too.

get one with Porsche sport exhaust, sounds great.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:38 PM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Budget, body style, transmission, color combo.

The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks again everyone. Your feedback/info might be well known to rennlisters, but much of it is new info for me. And, I'm old enough to value what others have learned and experienced.

Alright, found another car. Mint condition inside and out. The car is local so I was able to see it in person and take it for a short test drive.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 991.1 launch vehicle, 32K miles. Price is in the mid-60K $ range.

From Vinanalytics:

Prod Month: 2011-11-01 MSRP: Price: $121,635.00
Exterior: Platinum Silver Metallic
Interior: Black leather front seats
Warranty Start: February 06, 2012

Options:

176 Sport Exhaust System
1H Platinum Silver Metallic
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
276 Automatically dimming mirrors
342 Seat heating (front)
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
428 20-inch SportDesign wheel
541 Seat Ventilation (Front)
583 Smoking package
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
630 Light Design Package
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package
651 Electric sunroof 658 Power Steering Plus
672 Navigation Module 680 BOSE® Surround Sound System
690 SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver and HD Radio® Receiver
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors
762 Launch vehicle
AJ Black leather front seats
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)

Excellent options package. However, this car is 5 years older than the last car I was considering, but mileage is reasonable and the condition of the car is excellent overall.
Pre-sale service has already been done at the selling dealer (new engine air filter, new cabin filter, oil change, etc).
Since this is a dealer sale, no prior service documents are available. The usual manuals are included though.

Does this price range seem reasonable for one of the first 991.1's to be manufactured, with this set of options?

Last edited by barfoo; 07-27-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:58 PM
hotgrips
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Carfax permanently slanders a 911 Turbo by changing from 400 to 63k miles.

My vote is on a 991.1 manual.
I'm from NH and have owned a 912 blu, 911 red, , 914-6 blk, 911 Carerra 4 yellow, 911 turbo white, Currently having a dispute with CARFAX over them changing my actual miles of approx 400 to their imagined 63,000. and they won't adjust it the proper odometer number despite my recommending they send the local police, state police, National Guard, FBI and the CIA, o\\\and Donald Trump goonies too. Doesn't CARFAX know some of us just collect them and rarely drive them? Anyone else get burned by CARFAX? They must not know that Porsche in Germany doesn't want odometer tampering so they put electronics in these cars to stop rollback crime. When a Porsche tech puts a device on the car he can get the history of the car and determine if there was a speedometer swap or any other nonsense.

CARFAX sent me an email today, after 4+ weeks of emails and phone calls, as they are slandering me as the owner and the car's VIN forever- that's what the Internet is all about. They insisted I should send them proof, which I am sending tonight. The CARFAX staff also stated they have never had this kind of error happen before. They lowered the retail valuation from $130k to $82k, and have listed the car as having 63,090 miles. I paid 165k in 2015.

Does anyone recommend an appropriate attorney for this type of problem? Should I accept their 130k offer that I assume will be forthcoming from their legal department, or hold onto the car? Or sue for damages in degraded value, fabricating odometer readings at their own whim, and legal costs with punitive damages?

BTW, I do understand why they probably did it. Who could keep a 911 Turbo and not be tempted to take it out more often? But they made a big mistake with whimsically changing the miles to what they imagine the 911 must have. My 2015 Corvette has less than 100 miles on it because I don't enjoy it, (and I'm being kind here.)

New member, age 69 with arthritis medical issues, but I still love Porsches! Cannot wait for Porsche's 2nd and 3rd generation BEV 911. Any of you have a Taycan as a 2nd car?
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2020, 02:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree with you that the 996 NA cars are really bad looking, but I actually like the looks of the widebody 996tt with the inlets and tail. The 996tt looks good with the factory aero kit.
Yes, that 996 configuration looks pretty good. Used to see a black one in my neighborhood and it always turned my head. Was just thinking of the NA versions. Still have to deal with the interior though which to me would be hard to live with. Cover up the instrument cluster which still gives it away as a Porsche but the rest could be just about anything.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:00 AM
Metalblond
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by barfoo
Thanks Doug H. FYI, I got those performance numbers from wikipedia (who's reference was probably Porsche). Yeah, I'm aware that Porsche's published numbers are conservative in general. I figured that if the numbers came from the same source, they would provide at least a modicum of comparability, even if they are conservative.

So the 991 chassis is that much better? Interesting.

I found a 2017 manual 991.2 Carrera with the following options that looks pretty compelling to me:

BASE 911 Carrera
176 Sport Exhaust System
460 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels 4
97 Control Code for Model Designation
529 SportDesign exterior mirrors
581 Luggage net in passenger footwell
583 Smoking package
651 Electric slide/tilt sunroof
858 GT Sport Steering Wheel
9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
AG Standard Interior in Black
CWL PORSCHE Logo Painted
J5 Miami Blue
QR5 Sport Chrono Package
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests

Do you see anything missing that would be critical or a deal breaker?
Hi--I'll jump in on this too now. I really like this 991.2 build and if it's in your price point I think you should at least give it a look. I love manual transmissions and that's all I go for--so I am biased- but if you really enjoy manuals then you will be disappointed not having one. Also, a 991.2 base model is pretty rare. I'm in the minority here, but I don't think you should disqualify a car on whether it has a leather dashboard or not. My 991.2 had a standard interior and I had 3 people trying to buy it from me without hesitation. I like the sport exhaust, sport chrono package and color and wheel combination more than a leather dashboard but, of course, if you are into having leather dashboard so much it would bother you, then find one with it.
I also found this article on 997s and thought I'd post it for you. https://carbuzz.com/features/now-is-...orsche-911-997
I hope you find your dream car!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalblond:
Doug H (07-28-2020), jcsomerv (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Here is an absolutely beautiful 996tt aero kit with only 12k miles. Great wheel, lowered and low miles. No one a Porsche guy cannot appreciate the looks of this Twin Turbo,

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-94/
Old 07-28-2020, 10:17 AM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metalblond
Hi--I'll jump in on this too now. I really like this 991.2 build and if it's in your price point I think you should at least give it a look. I love manual transmissions and that's all I go for--so I am biased- but if you really enjoy manuals then you will be disappointed not having one. Also, a 991.2 base model is pretty rare. I'm in the minority here, but I don't think you should disqualify a car on whether it has a leather dashboard or not. My 991.2 had a standard interior and I had 3 people trying to buy it from me without hesitation. I like the sport exhaust, sport chrono package and color and wheel combination more than a leather dashboard but, of course, if you are into having leather dashboard so much it would bother you, then find one with it.
I also found this article on 997s and thought I'd post it for you. https://carbuzz.com/features/now-is-...orsche-911-997
I hope you find your dream car!!
Thanks. I was still in the steep part of my learning ramp when I ran across this car. I waited for a day to research further and by the time I decided to pursue the Miami Blue car, it had already been sold. My fault really. I was not prepared to jump quickly. Bummer.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM
barfoo
Instructor

Here is an absolutely beautiful 996tt aero kit with only 12k miles. Great wheel, lowered and low miles. No one a Porsche guy cannot appreciate the looks of this Twin Turbo,

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-94/
Thanks. I spotted that one myself and have been watching it. The current bid is $62K, which is already on the high side of my budget. Given the apparently great condition and ultra low mileage, I expect this will sell for significantly higher $$'s.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

On the local car you have driven;
There are only three dealers in DFW. If it's originally from one ( maybe the dealer that has the car?). Get the vin and approach the dealer having sold or serviced this car about a peak at service records. I think they probably don't like to do this but your hook is should you buy this car you want the same service to continue with them. I bought a '06 Cayman S off lease return a few years ago. This is what I did before purchase. Good car, zero issues.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:36 AM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Own Goal
On the local car you have driven;
There are only three dealers in DFW. If it's originally from one ( maybe the dealer that has the car?). Get the vin and approach the dealer having sold or serviced this car about a peak at service records. I think they probably don't like to do this but your hook is should you buy this car you want the same service to continue with them. I bought a '06 Cayman S off lease return a few years ago. This is what I did before purchase. Good car, zero issues.
Hello again Own Goal,

Good suggestion. I'll keep this in mind for the future. This particular car was originally sold to a South Carolina Dealer and spent all of it's life in South Carolina until it was acquired by the local DFW dealer.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:36 PM
GoBlueBirkett
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but it looks like there's been a lot of thoughts shared and I may be repeating what others have said.

I spent almost 2 years, initially starting my budget in the clean 996 cabriolet territory before getting scared by the IMS bearing and bore scoring issues. I then migrated to the 997.1, where I learned IMS issues were less likely though not zero, but bore scoring was still lurking. I am confident that the internet has overblown these issues, but I wanted to be able to sleep well at night for something that was supposed to be fun. That led me to up my budget a little more and look at base 997.2 and 996 turbos. A base 996 would have been plenty of performance for me, so a base 997.2 or 996 turbo were more then enough. As a result, from there, I started thinking about ascetics. So many of the 996 turbos I found in my price range weren't all that attractive to me and I actually never drove one. If I didn't like the way it looked, I'm not sure driving it would have won me over. That ultimately led me to focus on base 997.2 cabs. They were tough to come by in my price range (upper 30s to low 40s), so I was patient. A few finally showed up and the one I bought is far from perfect, but it was in the sweet spot for me in terms of price, mileage, & condition.

Having lived with the car for a short time, the one option I wish I had shopped for a little more is ventilated seats. Those would be really nice on hot days with the top down. Mine also came with an aftermarket head unit for the stereo. It's ok, but I think the interior would look nicer with the factory unit, but that's not a huge issue.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:55 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoBlueBirkett
I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but it looks like there's been a lot of thoughts shared and I may be repeating what others have said.

I spent almost 2 years, initially starting my budget in the clean 996 cabriolet territory before getting scared by the IMS bearing and bore scoring issues. I then migrated to the 997.1, where I learned IMS issues were less likely though not zero, but bore scoring was still lurking. I am confident that the internet has overblown these issues, but I wanted to be able to sleep well at night for something that was supposed to be fun. That led me to up my budget a little more and look at base 997.2 and 996 turbos. A base 996 would have been plenty of performance for me, so a base 997.2 or 996 turbo were more then enough. As a result, from there, I started thinking about ascetics. So many of the 996 turbos I found in my price range weren't all that attractive to me and I actually never drove one. If I didn't like the way it looked, I'm not sure driving it would have won me over. That ultimately led me to focus on base 997.2 cabs. They were tough to come by in my price range (upper 30s to low 40s), so I was patient. A few finally showed up and the one I bought is far from perfect, but it was in the sweet spot for me in terms of price, mileage, & condition.

Having lived with the car for a short time, the one option I wish I had shopped for a little more is ventilated seats. Those would be really nice on hot days with the top down. Mine also came with an aftermarket head unit for the stereo. It's ok, but I think the interior would look nicer with the factory unit, but that's not a huge issue.
Your thought process is similar to mine. I worked my way up into the 997.2 and 991.1 / 991.2 range pretty quickly for a lot of the same reasons you did. Now I need to exercise some patience and shop around for a while and keep an eye out for cars with unique colors that are still aesthetically pleasing. Since I'm definitely ADHD, that's pretty damn tough to do :-) If I would be happy with silver/black/white, this would be so much easier!

Quick Reply: How do you choose the "right" 911?