997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 4S Need new Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020 | 01:57 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

If you are going to upgrade, I would recommend custom Signature Wheels: forged, cost about $3,600 all in (shipping, tax, etc.), custom offsets so get rid of any spacers, save at least 30-40lbs from your stock wheels.
From order to arrival took 6 weeks. Can't recommend enough.

My C4S with Signature SV501s.

The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (07-25-2020)
Old 07-22-2020 | 06:46 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hula
It's flow formed instead of forged. Flow formed is better than low pressure cast but not as good as forged. It's still a high quality wheel. Note the prices on the HRE is $2k per wheel.
i think the price WheelsB quoted was for 4 wheels, not each.

wheelsb, can you please respond.
Old 07-22-2020 | 07:12 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeffkilly
i think the price WheelsB quoted was for 4 wheels, not each.

wheelsb, can you please respond.
The HRE FF01's I quoted are FlowForm wheels. The Champion wheels are likely custom forged wheels (I won't be able to confirm this unless you share with me the model you're looking at). As another Rennlister mentioned above the HRE's are cheaper because of their construction method. FlowForming allows for mass production which drives price down.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 07-22-2020 | 08:45 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Why am I able to purchase what looks very similar to the $6,000 Champion wheels I like, for less than $2,000? What am I sacrificing?
ego.

Keep the wheels you have - they're probably the best looking 997 wheel available out there.
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:17 AM
gopirates
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceter
You're wasting your time asking a dealer. They don't do this work themselves anyway. They will send the wheels to a wheel shop and mark up the price.

If you are considering getting the wheels trued, find a shop and take the wheels there yourself.

For $250 per wheel, I would expect that to include refinishing. $250 to true a single wheel is outrageous.

I just had my wheels trued, stripped, powder coated, the tires mounted and road force balanced and the center caps painted to match the new wheel color for about $300 per wheel.
Which wheels? The Classics or the IVs? What color?
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:42 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by gopirates
Which wheels? The Classics or the IVs? What color?
The classics. I ruined the clear coat on a couple of them and decided to go semi-gloss gunmetal. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow. I’m very happy with them.
Old 07-23-2020 | 01:28 AM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Big ask. Does someone have the ability to photoshop my wheels to semigloss or gloss black? Gunmetal? Titanium? I am trying to figure out what color to go with. Thanks.

My 24 year old daughter said the black wheels are for young guys. I then reminded her how immature I am and she said you’re right Dad, get black. Two insults in one conversation - not right!

Last edited by Jeffkilly; 07-23-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2020 | 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

i was leaning towards a grayish gun metal color. But now that I have seen your black ones, I may go in that direction. I assume they will look better longer after a wash. Also, the red caliper looks good against the black.

Your rim style is the exact wheels I will get when I am ready to let go of the cash. Beautiful car and wheels!

thanks!
I think black wheels on meteor gray looks really nice. That said, the set on my car as pictured are gloss black. I would have preferred something like satin or anything less gloss than gloss but got such a good deal on the gloss ones I compromised, especially since they looked brand new.

Your gun metal idea is a good one too imo. A lot of variations on the gun metal theme but they're all pretty close. Some darker or lighter than others. I've got one of those variations on my GTS now. Picture attached, taken before H&R lowering springs installed I should add. Forgeline calls that finish "Midnight Silver". I can see something like that a great match with meteor gray. Silver on meteor is a bit too much contrast for my likes btw which is why I moved to the black HRE's instead.

Subjective matter though so not giving advice here. Just opinions and suggestions for what they're worth.

kru911 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

My recently powder coated Carrera classics.

Powdercoated in flat dark gray, then ceramic coated. The metallic is more evident in direct sunlight.

Closer view. They don't show brake dust, which is a plus.
kru911 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:07 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Hey GoPirates, why don't you show the OP your Carrera IVs in the dark chrome finish? I'll bet that would look great on a Carrera Classic wheel, too.
Old 07-23-2020 | 12:22 PM
ReelBigAndy
Intermediate

I like how the black spokes make the carrera sport rim's lip more prominent. Mine here are black, but someday I'd like white gold spokes while keeping the lip silver

Old 07-23-2020 | 12:55 PM
gopirates
Racer

Here is a pic of the Carrera IVs in Black Chrome. Darker than the stock silver finish and more akin to that Black Chrome look on BMW wheels.

Last edited by gopirates; 07-23-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Ironman88 (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020 | 02:11 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think black wheels on meteor gray looks really nice. That said, the set on my car as pictured are gloss black. I would have preferred something like satin or anything less gloss than gloss but got such a good deal on the gloss ones I compromised, especially since they looked brand new.

Your gun metal idea is a good one too imo. A lot of variations on the gun metal theme but they're all pretty close. Some darker or lighter than others. I've got one of those variations on my GTS now. Picture attached, taken before H&R lowering springs installed I should add. Forgeline calls that finish "Midnight Silver". I can see something like that a great match with meteor gray. Silver on meteor is a bit too much contrast for my likes btw which is why I moved to the black HRE's instead.

Subjective matter though so not giving advice here. Just opinions and suggestions for what they're worth.

I agree, that would look sweet! I know I don’t want flat. Is Satin the in between gloss and flat look? Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by ReelBigAndy
I like how the black spokes make the carrera sport rim's lip more prominent. Mine here are black, but someday I'd like white gold spokes while keeping the lip silver
Since you're looking for opinions and everybody's got one... .

IMHO, the only way that Carrerra Sports look good is in a dark color with a machined lip. When they're a solid, aluminum color, they look like they belong on a Buick. Not even a cool Buick, like a Stage 4 or a GNX. More like a mid-80's Park Avenue with the headliner sagging and one front fender in a different color.

Just sayin'.
Old 07-23-2020 | 03:30 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ReelBigAndy
I think this is a spectacular look. Also looks like you take particularly good care of the car.

I know the topic of the thread is a discussion on wheels - so pardon these seemingly unrelated comments about your car. The black finish of the car + the black finish of the wheels looks really great together I think. The machined finish of the wheel perimeter really sets off the overall look. That machined finish also seems to direct your eye to the tire / fender gaps. (Bruce from Philly will sometimes lament that the stock setup from Porsche makes the cars look like 4x4's and I think he may have a point.)

Have you considered lowering the car? 1 1/2 inch would make a huge difference in the appearance I think... (Anyway - just an opinion - and certainly understand - unsolicited...)

Anyway - it's a beautiful car.

Quick Reply: 997.2 4S Need new Rims