Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 4S Need new Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The wheels being straightened and re-finished may be off the car for a few weeks, so allow for the inconvenience. I would also replace the TPMS at that time.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hexagone
ego.

Keep the wheels you have - they're probably the best looking 997 wheel available out there.
Thanks, I am keeping them. Just changing the color. I just hope they do a good job fixing the wheel.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:02 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The wheels being straightened and re-finished may be off the car for a few weeks, so allow for the inconvenience. I would also replace the TPMS at that time.
The owner of the shop said a couple days. I hope!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
My recently powder coated Carrera classics.

Powdercoated in flat dark gray, then ceramic coated. The metallic is more evident in direct sunlight.

Closer view. They don't show brake dust, which is a plus.
Nice.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jeffkilly
I agree, that would look sweet! I know I don’t want flat. Is Satin the in between gloss and flat look? Decisions, decisions.

Same here. Would not have bought the black HRE's if they had been flat black. I can't see flat painted wheels against the gloss paint of the car as a good look. And yes, satin is somewhere between gloss and flat. That would have been my first choice for the black wheels I bought.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Nice.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Speaking of finishes, I think it's difficult to get a truly flat finish with powder coating. Even what most places call flat, winds up being more satin. It's just the nature of the material. When it is baked on, it self-levels a bit and picks up some sheen. They can shoot a flat coat over the powder-coat but that winds up being way more fragile than the powder.

Flat wheel in dark colors often look like they're just coated with brake dust to me.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Speaking of finishes, I think it's difficult to get a truly flat finish with powder coating. Even what most places call flat, winds up being more satin. It's just the nature of the material. When it is baked on, it self-levels a bit and picks up some sheen. They can shoot a flat coat over the powder-coat but that winds up being way more fragile than the powder.

Flat wheel in dark colors often look like they're just coated with brake dust to me.
I looked into flat black finishes a while ago... spoke to two places. Both highly recommended against flat black because of its porosity. Brake dust will eventually adhere and leave a brown/gold cast. Awful. One place showed me a sample of how flat he can without the problem.. it was fairly flat with a smooth surface. He said he doesn't do flat anymore becasue he told me no matter what he said to a customer, they are back in a few months complaining.

BTW, I found different shops have a different selections and breadth of color selections. The shop in Delaware I spoke to has a big business and he said he could do any color... the other shop I spoke to had only a few shades of grey and black. So... shop around.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-24-2020, 03:09 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I looked into flat black finishes a while ago... spoke to two places. Both highly recommended against flat black because of its porosity. Brake dust will eventually adhere and leave a brown/gold cast. Awful. One place showed me a sample of how flat he can without the problem.. it was fairly flat with a smooth surface. He said he doesn't do flat anymore becasue he told me no matter what he said to a customer, they are back in a few months complaining.

BTW, I found different shops have a different selections and breadth of color selections. The shop in Delaware I spoke to has a big business and he said he could do any color... the other shop I spoke to had only a few shades of grey and black. So... shop around.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
A professionally applied ceramic coating seems to prevent these issues with black wheels.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:03 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Just my two cents on wheel color. I am not a fan of all black wheels. You lose all the wheel characteristics. When I see pictures of cars with black wheels all I see is black. That’s just my opinion and observations.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:27 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Just my two cents on wheel color. I am not a fan of all black wheels. You lose all the wheel characteristics. When I see pictures of cars with black wheels all I see is black. That’s just my opinion and observations.
i realize this subject is a 100% subjective topic, but this looks pretty hot to me:

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/e8f403e2-23d2-41ca-85e4-d86eb035c4ad[/img]
Old 07-25-2020, 02:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I think you're right. For someone who really wants flat black wheels they need to be painted the old fashioned way. And for brake dust, some keep saying that dark colors hide brake dust. Not from what I've seen. Brake dust (at least my break dust) has a brownish tone to it and shows up on wheels of any color. At least every color I've tried so far.

Seems like the only surefire way to do away with the break dust issue is to spend well over $20,000 on ceramic breaks. Just checked Suncoast and they want almost $23,000 just for front and rear rotors. Doesn't even include calipers and pads: https://www.suncoastparts.com/category/997G2PCCB.html
No thanks. I'll just stick with soap and water now and then as much of a pain as it is.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

u can get them all straightened at a good wheel shop.

remember eBay will have refinished oem ones as well.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:41 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

i realize this subject is a 100% subjective topic, but this looks pretty hot to me:

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/e8f403e2-23d2-41ca-85e4-d86eb035c4ad[/img]
The link doesn't work.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:25 PM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
The link doesn't work.
I tried copying and pasting the pic from post #24. Look at the black wheels on meteor gray porsche in post #24.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I tried copying and pasting the pic from post #24. Look at the black wheels on meteor gray porsche in post #24.
Here. Again, these are gloss black HRE P40's. Satin would look better than gloss to my eyes but as I said I got a sweet deal on these so a slight compromise. All and all I think it makes for a good looking package. Moderately tinted windows pull it all together imo.

Last edited by sandwedge; 07-26-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 4S Need new Rims