Sponsored by:

992 thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 992 thoughts?

I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but having seen 992 for a while in the market, possibly driven one, have seen overall reactions, reviews, comments... WHAT is the general impression of it from 997 folks?! Here are some of mine:

Pros:
- Interior is simply fantastic, if one does a good job of optioning, it can look great, as a luxury/GT car
- Manual transmission is BETTER than 991/997 transmission, like the location of it, and how it engages, I rated 997 manual better than 991
- The overall dash design, is a hit and miss, but overall I LIKE it. They've done a great job with more buttons than Panamera/Cayenne plus touchscreen, but still lacking (see below)
- I love the rear, but dislike the sport exhaust look, and HATE the sport design fascia on the back
- I like the front, but it MUST come with sport fascia design upfront, the standard front-end is not sporty looking
- The PCM is simply fantastic, once you go Carplay/Android Auto can't go back, much larger screen than 991
- Performance is 997 Turbo like
- Handling is great (albeit I didn't push it as much)
- It's very comfortable
- Overall, it's not a new car, it's a polished, updated, more upscale version of 991

Cons:
- Exhaust note is TERRIBLE, I have no idea if it's better or worse than 991, BUT it's worse than 997 FOR SURE
- Exhaust/engine has a whiny noise in the mid-upper range that is super annoying
- Engine not accessible (even worse than 991)
- HUGE, specially the width is almost Lambo like
- PDK gear level is ridiculous, must be changed (you can options out a larger, a bit nicer lever)
- Stupid auto door handle is annoying
- The lack of buttons maybe a problem if you have too many options and ONE issue many found is that to engage garage opener, you may need to go through multiple touchscreen menus
- Looks like there are still tons of bugs, and issues with the car, almost ALL electronics related
- Some very basic options, are OPTIONAL, like memory seat, safety equipment. etc...
- It's very comfortable (not sporty)
- Cupholder is CRAP, loved the ones we had (as imperfect as they were)
- Too expensive

Overall, I'd say it's the best 991 ever made! It's a continuation of 991 in almost every way, tons more sensors, electronics, gadgets added, and overall it's a great car. I just did NOT like the exhaust tone at all, and I'd like to know if others felt the same. It's also HUGE and seems to have lost some of its sportiness while it's faster, it doesn't feel faster. I almost never got the itch to buy the 991, it just didn't seem that special, 992 is more special, IF somehow the exhaust tone is fixed.

What are your thoughts, takes?

Last edited by alexb76; 06-29-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:34 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

I have only seen them, haven't driven. So these are just aesthetic opinions. YMMV

• Front wheel fender bulges. Really changes the stance nicely.
  • Hood shape/ indent. Hides the longer hood. Looks good to me.
Dislikes:
  • There is a lot of plastic and added lines to hide how big the car is. Too much plastic on the rear, too much on the front for me.
  • The front bumper / fender lines being aligned with the hood -- for some reason this is distractingly bad looking to me:

Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 AM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have also only seen them from the outside. In my opinion they are no longer enthusiast cars in the sense that Porsche really does not want you working on them. I swear I have my head in the engine bay at least once a month. This aspect almost completely removes the 992 from my potential options. As far as design, I personally do not enjoy the rear end of the car, especially the spoiler. It reminds me of someone hauling an oversized load with the truck open.

One of my biggest complaints with the 997 is the manual shifting feel. I have managed to get to a point where I am happy with my car but I really think they dropped the ball in general. A better feeling shift would be a welcome improvement.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Everyone will have their own opinion and personal take on the 992. Certainly if you're the one shelling out the cash - your opinion is the only one that really matters.

For me, I find that in most cases, newer is not better. (This goes against most of what I grew up with - as time went on, things almost always got better / progressed.) My sense is that the business side of these companies is winning out over the engineering side. Material types seem cheaper - so much more plastic. I question what the durability will be of some of this over time as it is subjected to typical use and exposure to the elements (as every car is.) Then there's the price. It's hard for me to see past all of that. Plus, it seems to me that there is a continual effort to engineer in more refinement with each successive 911 model variation. More isolation from the on-road "sports car" experience. There's no denying the performance increases - but for me, the added refinement and isolation numbs it down. One of the fundamental qualities that define the sports car experience to me is being able to have a more connected sense to what's going on with the machine. The (real) mechanical sounds and vibrations of a machine that's operating well is something that I like and want. This is why I like the 997.

Aesthetically - from many angles, the car looks great. The way the rear quarters are formed and flow is just beautiful. I would echo 93Jaffe's comments however about the rear of the car. I can't come around to liking it - no matter how many times I've looked at it. To me the rear design does not belong with the rest of the car.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

The idea the base car is 379 HP is pretty amazing, and the S at 443 HP is more impressive. On the looks in real life; it's distinct, but not in a way that it's distracting at least from the front and side view, I agree the rear is a bit busy. I looked at the car on a lot with other models around it, and my friend who was not a Porsche person kept saying, where is the new one?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:18 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
I have only seen them, haven't driven. So these are just aesthetic opinions. YMMV

• Front wheel fender bulges. Really changes the stance nicely.
  • Hood shape/ indent. Hides the longer hood. Looks good to me.
Dislikes:
  • There is a lot of plastic and added lines to hide how big the car is. Too much plastic on the rear, too much on the front for me.
  • The front bumper / fender lines being aligned with the hood -- for some reason this is distractingly bad looking to me:

hideous rear end......

Like 2010 997.2 so much better
Old 06-29-2020, 02:25 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

I see quite a few in South Florida and the rear light bar and fenders look great. It's best angle is the rear without PSE. I do not like the PSE. The two huge pipes look like some jdm tuning exhaust, 4 inch is just terrible or whatever it is. I'm not a huge fan of the front flares, I know some people like them. The interior looks great and better is better, but as some say the piano plastic finish is cheap looking. The seats look amazing. I'm on the fence about the front. I do love the new font and emblems, and will eventually buy the door decals and rear 4s emblem in white.

I do not love the lack of engine access or the price. I heard a base C2S is like 130k or something?? Big money.

I really love the throwback to the long hood days, and how they made it come just past the bumper seam. I love that, so technically all the 992 are long hoods i suppose?? Extra cool.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2020, 02:37 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

It’s big, it’s a bit bloated, it’s not as much of a true sports car as my 997 but I want one! The 991 never did it for me but I do like the 992. Love the wide hips and flared front fenders on the new car. Not crazy about the lower rear end portion but not a deal breaker by any means.

In a perfect world I’d have both.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:58 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a fan. I think it's a big improvement on the 991 in terms of looks and also exhaust note.
My brother-in-law recently bought a 4S fully loaded on the performance options, and I've been fortunate to spend some time driving it. Definitely more refined than my 997 (but it's to be expected of a model a decade newer), but it's also much faster.
I think I'm most impressed how comfortable it can be while still being capable of some pretty great acceleration and handling. I've thrown this car into some pretty tight s-turns at speeds I wouldn't attempt in the 997 and I can't get it to feel nervous. It's crazy how composed and flat it feels.

Still love my 997 though - especially the thought it's paid for, as opposed to a new car and its $170ish sticker..
Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

They are nice but I don't like the bloated back end, it's reminiscent of a Panamera rather than a classic 911. The Targa is particularly pronounced. Biased of course, but I still think the 997 was the perfect return to the classic 911 look after the 996 detour. The 991 started again drifting away and the 992 has made it worse.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (07-01-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:25 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw a 992 on highway the other day w/ spoiler deployed...it is absurdly ugly...so much so that my wife who isn't really into cars asked me what was wrong with it...numeric shifter (middle setting) and cables have gone a long way for me RE: shifter feel...
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Pic of the 2021 Targa. Does anyone think that looks remotely like a 911? It's literally butt ugly.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/porsche-911-targa-s-4s-2021-debut/

Edit: Here's the 997 Targa for comparison.

Last edited by PV997; 06-29-2020 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jan86 (11-24-2023)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I am going to have the hot take opinion in this thread and say that I absolutely love them! Got the chance to see them being built on the production line in Stuttgart last year and some happy customers taking European delivery outside of the museum that day. I find them to be stunning looks wise, and every review thats been written thus far says that they are incredible behind the wheel as well. Can't wait to drive one personally. The 991 felt like a completely skippable generation, but I definitely see myself owning one of these 992s in 10 years when they are half price! All kidding aside, I will definitely be going for a targa, that much is for sure. The new boxster spyders are also a thing to be reckoned with, too many choices!

The 997 is certainly the last of the "classic" look but don't we all love this brand because they are constantly able to evolve in (mostly) good ways and push the envelope? The 992 takes most of the great cues from classic 911 and pushes it to the modern era in a way that doesn't make it look tacky and stays true to its roots. Just my opinion and the reason why I love this brand over any other passion brand in the world.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

To me, Porsche has managed to ruin the 911. There are some angles of the 991 version that are okay, but overall it's a pass for me. The 992 is worse simply because of the backend of the car. Hideous. To each their own though.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Heard that the Porsche designers took their inspiration for the back end of the 992 from this...

Quick Reply: 992 thoughts?