Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Seemed Fine To Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 01:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Also just found out the fastest car at the rally was a TT Tip. Heavily modified with 600+hp. That thing was a beast. Stayed right at the front with 991 GT3’s and RS’s. The ground pulsed when he passed me.

Going forward I will not think less of the Tip. Now I’m wondering if a good driver with a Turbo Tip could beat an average driver with a Turbo PDK?
997.1 TT's with TIP is faster 0-60 bone stock than the same car with a manual. Not the case with non turbo 997.1's.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:33 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I’m gonna agree with you guys since both Tips I observed were Turbos.

One of the Turbos was heavily modified and he had limo tint. So no one could see inside. As that car devoured much newer GT3’s none of us would have guessed he had a Tip. I was shocked TBH. It’s good to know that if you’re shopping for a 997.1 Turbo the Tip isn’t so bad AND you can save as much as $10k+
Old 06-19-2020, 07:15 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Found a copy. Forgive the quality. It is 13 or 14 years old. 180hp Elise versus 700hp 996tt oin Hoosier R6s. Pretty sure I am Adavn AD08s in this video based on the tire squeal sound on the corners.

Watch how bad 700 hp pulls away from me on the straight after the hair pin at around 1:03.

Man video has come a long way!! 😂😂 haven't driven that track yet. Need to get down there.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

No one is saying they are garbage. To the contrary, they are very robust. They just suck the life out of the NA 911 driving experience compared to the same model with a manual.
Yep, there's a reason Porsche has never offered the PDK in the Cayenne and it has to do with the tow rating. The Tips hold up to high loads extremely well, and you see virtually no failures with them, they just don't shift fast enough, react fast enough, or have the right programming in fully automatic mode like the PDKs do, even in Sport mode. The Tip in my Cayenne is my least favorite part about the car. If they offered the TTS with a MT I'd have bought one, but the highest model with that is the GTS and the 250 HP difference (650 with my mods vs 400) took the GTS out of the running. One of these days I'll add the Mercedes paddle shifters I bought to the back of my Cayenne wheel to make driving the Tip in full Manual mode better than with the thumb buttons, but other things are higher on the list. For what's primarily a family vacation car, the Tip is acceptable. I personally wouldn't want one in any 997 though, Turbo or not.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Also just found out the fastest car at the rally was a TT Tip. Heavily modified with 600+hp. That thing was a beast. Stayed right at the front with 991 GT3’s and RS’s. The ground pulsed when he passed me.

Going forward I will not think less of the Tip. Now I’m wondering if a good driver with a Turbo Tip could beat an average driver with a Turbo PDK?

The limit isn't the cars on drives like this it's the drivers and the roads. It sounds to me like you might need to start doing some track events so that you develop the skills required to know where the limits of A) yourself B) the car and C) the road come into play before you miss judge and something bad happens.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:16 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Man video has come a long way!! 😂😂 haven't driven that track yet. Need to get down there.
The old suction cup mounted camera with a tape in it. I tried mounting to my roll cages, but the wind noise was horrendous.

Barber is a great track. NCM is pretty dang fun as well in this part of the country.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:42 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

The old suction cup mounted camera with a tape in it. I tried mounting to my roll cages, but the wind noise was horrendous.

Barber is a great track. NCM is pretty dang fun as well in this part of the country.
Yeah I'm over on east coast. So my close tracks are Summit, VIR, NCCAR, roebling, pitt and hoping to get down to Carolina sometime.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Seemed Fine To Me