Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Seemed Fine To Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:24 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tiptronic Seemed Fine To Me

Not posing as an expert. Just saying I followed a 997.1 Turbo Cab with Tip through the mountains for about an hour and that car was fast AF. Handle corners well, accelerated out of turns like no one’s business. I’m sure the manual is better, but after trying to keep up with that Turbo I think the Tip is just fine.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:57 AM
Gene_GaTech
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not the speed, it's the lower level of engagement.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:04 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by Gene_GaTech
It's not the speed, it's the lower level of engagement.
I get what you’re saying. But this guy was having a ton of fun and totally kicking *** in the most challenging corners.

Could he have more fun with a manual or pdk? Sure, I get it. But based on his performance out there I think there’s a possibility that the Tip isn't as bad as everyone claims.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:46 AM
Gene_GaTech
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I get what you’re saying. But this guy was having a ton of fun and totally kicking *** in the most challenging corners.

Could he have more fun with a manual or pdk? Sure, I get it. But based on his performance out there I think there’s a possibility that the Tip isn't as bad as everyone claims.
Yep of course he was having fun! He was in a 911 turbo; zero doubt there!!!
The following users liked this post:
harlycharly (11-23-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:57 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Tip/PDK/Manual, just different interfaces and different skills to get top enjoyment. Some in the manual community seem to have a closed mind for anything different, and always try to put down the other options.

This comes from someone who has and enjoys both.
harlycharly (11-23-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Not posing as an expert. Just saying I followed a 997.1 Turbo Cab with Tip through the mountains for about an hour and that car was fast AF. Handle corners well, accelerated out of turns like no one’s business. I’m sure the manual is better, but after trying to keep up with that Turbo I think the Tip is just fine.
Dude, you are following a turbo cab. That car should be leaving you in the dust . . . bad.

What did you expect? Did you think you could keep up with him because of tiptronic? Also, could be a huge difference in drivers as it sounds like you are very novice and would have trouble keeping paces with someone with a little driver control skills even in a lesser car.

RE: Tiptronic in Turbo v. NA cars

Many, including me, have pointed out that the tiptronic actually seems to work better with the turbo as its gearing seems to hold boost better/longer.

The tiptronic is a power robbing torque converter tranny, but the turbo still has way more power and low end torque than your NA 997. (FWIW, the PDK is not a torque converter transmission with comparable parasitic losses).

I think the general message on here has been that the tiptronic is a performance killer on the normally aspirated cars due to weight and parasitic power losses.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

A Tip (or PDK) on a turbo keeps the car in boost during gear changes (like in my Cayenne) whereas with a MT, you have to let off the gas to do the shift, which drops the boost and makes you restablish it. A Tip in a Turbo ins't as bad as a Tip in non-turbo because of this. It's still a very lazy transmission that has delays from when you request a gear change, but the Turbo motor and chassis are so capable, it matters less.
snaphappy (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 01:06 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Also just found out the fastest car at the rally was a TT Tip. Heavily modified with 600+hp. That thing was a beast. Stayed right at the front with 991 GT3’s and RS’s. The ground pulsed when he passed me.

Going forward I will not think less of the Tip. Now I’m wondering if a good driver with a Turbo Tip could beat an average driver with a Turbo PDK?
Old 06-18-2020, 01:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
The tiptronic is a power robbing torque converter tranny, but the turbo still has way more power and low end torque than your NA 997. (FWIW, the PDK is not a torque converter transmission with comparable parasitic losses).
The tip has a locking torque converter and is effectively only working in 1st gear. Driving a tip in a spirited mode requires understanding how it works and taking advantage of it.

I am not propping up a tip as I do not have one or ever had one, but I do think it works well in the right hands.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

. Now I’m wondering if a good driver with a Turbo Tip could beat an average driver with a Turbo PDK?
The better driver always trumps the slightly better equipment.

Doug H (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
A Tip (or PDK) on a turbo keeps the car in boost during gear changes (like in my Cayenne) whereas with a MT, you have to let off the gas to do the shift, which drops the boost and makes you restablish it. A Tip in a Turbo ins't as bad as a Tip in non-turbo because of this. It's still a very lazy transmission that has delays from when you request a gear change, but the Turbo motor and chassis are so capable, it matters less.
Much better explanation. I noticed it gold boost longer/better and just assumed gearing.

Originally Posted by Petza914
The better driver always trumps the slightly better equipment.
This. There is a 2006/07 video floating around of me in a 180 hp Elise behind a 996tt Evo 700 GT on Hoosier R6 tires running exact same lap times at Barber. He would dust me like a freakin rocket ship versus a Yugo in straights, but I would reel him in a get on his bumper in the twisties. He was an nationally certified PCA instructor, but the Evo 700 GT should have been 5 to 10 seconds quicker on R6s.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:08 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

FWIW...

Old 06-19-2020, 12:29 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Just saw this, weird timing!! But yeah Tips aren’t garbage. I think the forums have been too harsh on them.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Just saw this, weird timing!! But yeah Tips aren’t garbage. I think the forums have been too harsh on them.
Didn't the guy int this turbo video say he absolutely hated the tiptronic in the non-turbo Carrera?

I think the message around here has been pretty consistent that the tiptronic is not good at all in the NA Carreras, but performs well in the turbo for the reasons Petza and I mention above.

No one is saying they are garbage. To the contrary, they are very robust. They just suck the life out of the NA 911 driving experience compared to the same model with a manual.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:51 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug H
Much better explanation. I noticed it gold boost longer/better and just assumed gearing.

This. There is a 2006/07 video floating around of me in a 180 hp Elise behind a 996tt Evo 700 GT on Hoosier R6 tires running exact same lap times at Barber. He would dust me like a freakin rocket ship versus a Yugo in straights, but I would reel him in a get on his bumper in the twisties. He was an nationally certified PCA instructor, but the Evo 700 GT should have been 5 to 10 seconds quicker on R6s.
Found a copy. Forgive the quality. It is 13 or 14 years old. 180hp Elise versus 700hp 996tt oin Hoosier R6s. Pretty sure I am Adavn AD08s in this video based on the tire squeal sound on the corners.

Watch how bad 700 hp pulls away from me on the straight after the hair pin at around 1:03.

tegraphile (06-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Seemed Fine To Me