Sponsored by:

This is CV Boot Failure, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default This is CV Boot Failure, Right?

Hey guys, I started a thread a couple days ago because I have a slight rattle over bumps. It only occurs when the wheels are straight and when the car is warmed up. I suspected the lower control arm.

Anyway, I got under the car today and didn't know what I was looking at. Based on my research - all the grease everywhere means CV Boot failure. Could be a rip in the boot. Could be a loose clamp. Here's a video. You guys tell me what you think. I have zero experience working on suspensions:

Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes, that is a leaking CV boot. Link below has good DIY info. I did it last week and added my thoughts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post16654884
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

yup. might just be a loose clamp, in which case, you are in luck: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-leaking.html

look for a tear first, though, because if the boot is bad, it's a much bigger job.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:55 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by TheTorch
yup. might just be a loose clamp, in which case, you are in luck: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-leaking.html

look for a tear first, though, because if the boot is bad, it's a much bigger job.
How do I know if "too much" grease leaked out and the CV joint needs to be serviced/replaced? Tightening a loos clamp won't get rid of the rattle either. Although the leaking boot and rattle might not be related.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:08 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snaphappy
How do I know if "too much" grease leaked out and the CV joint needs to be serviced/replaced? Tightening a loos clamp won't get rid of the rattle either. Although the leaking boot and rattle might not be related.
if you have noises, esp clicking, that means the CV joint could be damaged and no amount of putting grease back in is going to fix it. Probably need to get it checked out.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:12 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by TheTorch
if you have noises, esp clicking, that means the CV joint could be damaged and no amount of putting grease back in is going to fix it. Probably need to get it checked out.
I definitely wouldn't describe as clicking, and it doesn't happen when I turn the wheel. It's a short precise, one note, rattle that occurs only on bumps with the wheel straight.

My guess is that the CV boots leaking is unrelated to the rattle. But I guess I'll find out.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:26 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Did a little more research. Sounds like I need a special grease gun, my mechanic friend said it has a kind of needle that attaches to the end of the grease gun so you can get the grease up in there. Whole thing doesn't sound too hard to me. Gonna take a stab it. Given that there's no creaking sound whenI turn the wheel I think the CV Joint is fine.

Thanks for all the quick responses
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Did a little more research. Sounds like I need a special grease gun, my mechanic friend said it has a kind of needle that attaches to the end of the grease gun so you can get the grease up in there. Whole thing doesn't sound too hard to me. Gonna take a stab it. Given that there's no creaking sound whenI turn the wheel I think the CV Joint is fine.

Thanks for all the quick responses
you should look at the thread i sent you. has all the pics on how to do this easily.

Quick Reply: This is CV Boot Failure, Right?